"Budget" auction needed at ANA convention

Old August 16th 04, 07:18 PM
John Stone

Default "Budget" auction needed at ANA convention

I think that a "budget" auction would be a nice addition to the ANA
convention.
There is a budget section on the brouse which is nice but I would bet
that
many people who enjoy auctions are going to be priced out of the
official
ANA auction. An auction with nothing valued over say $300 would be
nice. I know there is a YN auction but that is just for the kids.
Old August 16th 04, 10:42 PM
JSTONE9352

At $300 will the bidding stop?

No, my idea was the top value would be approx. in that price range. It could
go higher.
Old August 17th 04, 12:43 AM
Phil Barnhart

Can you imagine the response? What a FANTASTIC way to combat certain
late night TV shows (which apparently have some great bust . .
dollars but that's OT).

If it was coupled with an education campaign, a press release or two
etc to help educate folks on the real value of some coins. AND how
excited would some be if they bid a couple $$ and won a lower-grade
rarity.

Sometimes I think the ANA really misses out on the educational and
promotional aspects of their conventions.

Bruce Hickmott wrote in message . ..
On 16 Aug 2004 11:18:46 -0700, (John Stone) is alleged
to have written:

I think that a "budget" auction would be a nice addition to the ANA
convention.
There is a budget section on the brouse which is nice but I would bet
that
many people who enjoy auctions are going to be priced out of the
official
ANA auction. An auction with nothing valued over say $300 would be
nice. I know there is a YN auction but that is just for the kids.

I'd certainly support that.

Bruce

ANA 162074

Old August 17th 04, 12:49 AM
Byron L. Reed

On 16 Aug 2004 16:43:47 -0700, (Phil Barnhart)
wrote:

Can you imagine the response?

Sure, from the dealers.

BLReed

To e-mail me, remove the obvious spam trap.
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices:
http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things and Bust Coin Forum: http://www.byronreed.com
Old August 17th 04, 12:51 AM
JSTONE9352

I'm sure it would be a big success.

Heritage etc. would not have anything to worry about since the
buyers of $5,000 coins in the main
auction are probably not going to
be the kind of people interested in say a 1932-D quarter
in fine condition or a lot of several
rolls of circulated Mercury dimes.
Old August 17th 04, 01:19 AM
Jorg Lueke

On 16 Aug 2004 23:51:59 GMT, JSTONE9352 wrote:

I'm sure it would be a big success.

Heritage etc. would not have anything to worry about since the
buyers of $5,000 coins in the main
auction are probably not going to
be the kind of people interested in say a 1932-D quarter
in fine condition or a lot of several
rolls of circulated Mercury dimes.

That is a good idea, send it to the leadership and see what they think.
Old August 17th 04, 06:32 AM
Mame

Hi,

I agree. I wish the large numismatic houses would auction lower value (under
$500) items. I know the big profit margains aren't there in terms of buyers
premiums but surely they must realise that there are enough of us budget
collectors out there to make it worthwhile? I guess thats where online shops
come into play. There are a good handflull of reputable online dealers who
handle high quality coins that have lower values.

I would love to see Spink have a budget section to encourage those of us on
more limited means that are serious about collecting. The cheapest coin in
the last two Spink auctions were at the absolute maximum of my budget and I
would have had to add buyers premiums on top of that.

Just a wild laterally thinking thought: I was reading that some numismatic
societies have grants available for various numismatically minded
activities including some grants that support/encourage young
numismatists.... maybe someone could apply for the grant to help fund such
an auction. With the grant in hand you could then lobby one of the large
reputable numistatic houses to catalougue and estimate the sale. Surely
there is people out there who would be interested in helping such a cause?
Of course, thats if people were willing to put the time and effort in for
little or no return :-) ....which is why, I guess, lower value coins are not
included in auctions ...financial returns don't make it worthwhile. A
vicious cylcle!

Mame

m...

Old August 17th 04, 01:08 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:49:14 -0500, Byron L. Reed
is alleged to have written:

wrote:

Can you imagine the response?

Sure, from the dealers.

BLReed

To e-mail me, remove the obvious spam trap.
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices:
http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things and Bust Coin Forum: http://www.byronreed.com

Dealers ought to have a positive reaction. Surely, they're holding inventory in
that price range they'd like to move. This is NOT going to be a high dollar
auction anyway, why not cut the buyer & seller fees way down? Anybody who does
this will be doing it as charity, even with 20% buyer/seller fee they wouldn't
make much money.

heck, set 'em both at $1.00. It not like we need a fancy catalog for this.

Bruce