Q about 1st Flight gold content

Old August 28th 03, 05:21 PM
Nooker

Default Q about 1st Flight gold content

As was previously noted, the First Flight gold proofs are being sent. I got
mine yesterday, Wed 8/27.

The COA states it weighs 16.718 grams, and is 90% gold, 10% alloy, diameter
1.06", 27mm
(vs the 1/2 oz $25 bullion Eagle, which is 16.966 grams, 91.675% gold, dia =
27 mm)

Question 1) why would they bother coming up with a different composition
for the commem, and not simply use the same planchet as the $25 Eagle?

OK, moving on, according to my calculations, the commem is 15.0462 grams of
gold, or 0.48374658 troy ounces
the $25 Eagle = 15.553581 grams, or 0.50005924 troy ounces

now 100% gold = 24 karat, 91.7% = 22 karat, so the $25 Eagle = 22 karat, and
then First Flight Commem = 21.6 karat

Question 2) would there be a reason why the Mint wanted to make the Commem
a smaller karat? (ok, I know, I shouldn't use "reason" and "Mint" in the
same sentence)

by the way, for those confused between troy oz and avdp oz:

1 troy ounce = 31.1034768 grams (vs an avoirdupois ounce = 28.35 grams). We
typically use the avdp ounce in our daily lives, and there are 16 (avdp)
ounces in a pound, but for gold, the troy ounce is used.

Mark

Old August 28th 03, 05:42 PM
Bob Flaminio

Nooker wrote:
Question 1) why would they bother coming up with a different
composition for the commem, and not simply use the same planchet as
the $25 Eagle?

Actually, it's the $25 that's the aberration. The $10 First Flight is
the same size and fineness of the traditional ten dollar gold coins,
minted until 1933.

Question 2) would there be a reason why the Mint wanted to make the
Commem a smaller karat? (ok, I know, I shouldn't use "reason" and
"Mint" in the same sentence)

As above -- it's the same that non-bullion ten dollar gold coins have
been since the 1800s.

Same goes for the $5 gold commems -- they are minted to the same
standards as traditional half eagles.

--
Bob

Old August 28th 03, 10:26 PM
Nooker

ya see Bob, that's why I take part in RCC, ya learn something every day !
Thanks a bunch !

but it does beg the question : since they have switched to the new
composition gold for bullion, why require different, and ever so slightly,
planchets for commems? tradition? seems they are missing out on some cost
savings if you ask me.

mark

Old August 29th 03, 12:55 AM
Steven Preston

The gold American Eagle coins were designed specifically to compete with
the Kruggerand in the bullion coin market. The congress had the GAE
struck to the exact same weight and fineness as the K-rand. If you want
to know why South Africa chose the fineness they did, ask them :-)
The $10 commems are struck to the same standard as the normal Eagle
because the mint never received authorization to change the standard
used for the circulating coin (tradition can be legally mandated :-)

-Steve

Old August 29th 03, 05:17 AM
TomDeLorey

The South African Mint, as a branch of the Royal Mint, used to strike
Sovereigns and Half Sovereigns in 22kt gold because that was the standard
British fineness. As they achieved independence from Great Britain, they
continued to strike Two Rands and One Rands to the same standards as the
Sovereign and Half Sovereign.
When they introduced the one ounce Krugerrand in 1967, they simply continued
using 22kt gold. When the U.S. banned the importation of Krugerrands, which had
expanded to include fractional sizes, in 1985 and authorized the striking of
the American Eagle series to replace them, Congress mandated that the Eagles be
of the same size and fineness as the Krugerrands so that American jewelry
manufacturers who were stocking jewelry settings for Krugerrands would not
suffer an economic loss because of Congress' action.
Tom DeLorey
..
Subject: Q about 1st Flight gold content
From: (Steven Preston)
Date: 8/28/2003 6:55 PM Central Daylight Time
The gold American Eagle coins were designed specifically to compete with
the Kruggerand in the bullion coin market. The congress had the GAE
struck to the exact same weight and fineness as the K-rand. If you want
to know why South Africa chose the fineness they did, ask them :-)
The $10 commems are struck to the same standard as the normal Eagle
because the mint never received authorization to change the standard
used for the circulating coin (tradition can be legally mandated :-)

-Steve

TomDeLorey
..
"Standard Oil" What they use to keep the grading standards slippery!