GB: Queen Victoria 2s/6d overprinted with 12 PIASTRES

Old November 13th 04, 04:57 PM
Stephen Stokes

Default GB: Queen Victoria 2s/6d overprinted with 12 PIASTRES

I've acquired a mint Queen Victoria 2 Shilling 6d lilac stamp (looks
like SG #178) overprinted with "12 PIASTRES"

Does anybody know anything about this stamp such as where it would
have been used? I know a mint SG178 without overprint is catalogued at
around £400 sterling - what effect does the overprint have on this
stamp's value?

Thanks.
Old November 13th 04, 05:24 PM
bc92

In message om,
Stephen Stokes wrote:
I've acquired a mint Queen Victoria 2 Shilling 6d lilac stamp (looks
like SG #178) overprinted with "12 PIASTRES"

Does anybody know anything about this stamp such as where it would
have been used? I know a mint SG178 without overprint is catalogued at
around £400 sterling - what effect does the overprint have on this
stamp's value?

Thanks.

Since you mention SG, try British Levant #3.
There is a white paper (45£), but the jackpot is the bluish paper
(275£).
There is also (rather often I guess) a small second s in "piastres".
Hth

--
Kind regards,
Bruno

Old November 13th 04, 11:11 PM
Roger Smith

"Tony Clayton" wrote in message
In a recent message (Larry) wrote:

In article ,

(Stephen Stokes) writes:

I've acquired a mint Queen Victoria 2 Shilling 6d lilac stamp (looks
like SG #178) overprinted with "12 PIASTRES"

Does anybody know anything about this stamp such as where it would
have been used? I know a mint SG178 without overprint is catalogued at
around £400 sterling - what effect does the overprint have on this
stamp's value?

That would appear to be the 1885 issue for use in Turkey. Scott lists it
as
number 3, which unfortunately has much less value than the basic stamp
without
overprint (seems odd).

Not at all. A good example is the Florence Gymnastics Festival issue by
Italy and Trieste Zone A.

Italy: 225,000 issued. Values in euro: Mint 100 used 1200
Trieste: 70,000 issued. Values in euro: Mint 20 used 67.50

It is a matter of demand here, rather than supply.

--
Tony Clayton
or

Coins of the UK :
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/coins.html
Values of Coins of the UK :
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/values/coins.html
Metals used in Coins : http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/metal.html
Sent using RISC OS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
... I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

Also of course not just the number printed of the overprinted stamp,
compared with the original, but the proportion of each that were used
commercially and largely lost to collectors. Overprinted stamps often
command a much greater attention and in such instances a rather higher
proprtion is hoarded by collectors and (misguided) investors.

Regards, Roger

Old November 13th 04, 11:36 PM
Tony Clayton

(Stephen Stokes) writes:

[...]

In this particular case restricted availablity meant that relatively
few of the Italy issue were actually used.

--
Tony Clayton or
Coins of the UK :
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/coins.html
Values of Coins of the UK : http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/values/coins.html
Metals used in Coins : http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/metal.html
Sent using RISC OS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... On the other hand..you have five different fingers
Old November 15th 04, 04:10 PM
malcolm hirst

For some reason British Postal Agencies in the Middle East to use an
all-embracing term have never been particularly popular among
collectors - especially mint. This is partly because mint remainders
of QE2 issues were particularly common from dealers in the 60s when I
was a junior collector,and probably got a sand-dune reputation before
such a term was known. I know that even at that tender age as an early
teenager I equated them with cto Rumania and Hungary which were also
particularly prevalent at the time and as there are still a number of
collectors of my vintage around the reputation has probably stuck. I
know that even now as an all-world collector I would not particularly
seek them out. Now - genuinely commercially used on identifiable
ex-pat business cover would be something else entirely.......
Malcolm

Old November 17th 04, 11:14 PM
Stephen Stokes

Thanks for all the replies.