Usenet feeds going away

Old October 6th 08, 10:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

Default Usenet feeds going away

mazorj wrote:

There undoubtedly are cost savings. It just would be nice to have
some documented numbers to fling at the ISPs.

Personally, I'd rather fling the same stuff as Howler monkeys.

Old October 6th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Honus" wrote in message
. ..
mazorj wrote:

There undoubtedly are cost savings. It just would be nice to have
some documented numbers to fling at the ISPs.

Personally, I'd rather fling the same stuff as Howler monkeys.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Old October 6th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Oct 6, 1:03*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"Honus" wrote in message

. ..

mazorj wrote:

There undoubtedly are cost savings. *It just would be nice to have
some documented numbers to fling at the ISPs.

Personally, I'd rather fling the same stuff as Howler monkeys.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

DOn't you have some more crank letters to write to Coin World?
Old October 7th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Voltronicus" wrote in message
On Oct 6, 1:03 pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"Honus" wrote in message

. ..

mazorj wrote:

There undoubtedly are cost savings. It just would be nice to have
some documented numbers to fling at the ISPs.

Personally, I'd rather fling the same stuff as Howler monkeys.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

DOn't you have some more crank letters to write to Coin World?

FOAD, jealous boy.

Old October 7th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Oct 6, 7:30*pm, "mazorj" wrote:

DOn't you have some more crank letters to write to Coin World?

FOAD, jealous boy.

That was almost, but not quite, as witless as your screed to Coin
World.
Now go back and try again, Mary.
Old October 8th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
clarkent[_2_]

free.teranews.com carries usenet newsgroups and is free with the exception
of a one time set up fee. Used to be $3.95 but that may have changed. They
do have a download limit for free users, but you can also pay to upgrade of
course. I find the free service fine for accessing the few newsgroups I
subscribe to Occassionally the site or server will go down, but they are
pretty good at keeping it working most of the time.

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
As of October 25, Comcast, the country's second largest ISP, will
discontinue its Usenet service, it just announced today. It previously
offered subscribers complimentary newsgroup access through Giganews,
and now it suggests they subscribe directly through Giganews if they
want Usenet access, indicating Giganews has special promotional
pricing for Comcast customers.

I know other ISPs have also dropped Usenet -- AOL in 2005, for
instance. Don't know about others. The reason that seems to always be
given, as now, is that relatively few people access newsgroups,
instead getting their information from other sources. But I suspect
another reason is the increasing spam/signal ratio and the pirated
media that are increasingly being shared through the .binaries
newsgroups.

There are other Usenet providers besides Giganews. Don't know anything
about them (or even if they're all still operational), but Wikipedia
mentions UsenetServer.com, Supernews, and Usenet.com. And you can
access Usenet for free over the Web through Google Groups, though it's
not as versatile as through a Usenet newsreader.

Sign of the times ... changing times. Like the dropping of time and
weather services by the phone companies.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom

Old October 14th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

It's easy enough for an ISP to filter out binaries (porn, photos,
bootleg music and video files) from text. I really feel that the
powers that be don't want people to have access to an unfiltered
source of sharing and reading IDEAS.

Old October 14th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Oct 14, 5:20*pm, Frank Provasek wrote:
It's easy enough for an ISP to filter out binaries (porn, photos,
bootleg music and video files) from text. *I really feel that the
powers that be don't want people to have access to an unfiltered
source of sharing and reading IDEAS.

It's all eBay's fault, right Fwankie?