Hi Group

Old March 25th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Hi Group

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:37:23 -0600, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"Aram H. Haroutunian" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:51:15 -0600, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"Tim & Jinny" wrote in message
m...
No, it was not too bad I guess, about 9.00 but could have thought of
better ways to spend money and get agrivated at the same time--LOL. Is
there any way or anybody that sells "truely" un-searched coins or is
there
a better way to buy a quantity of them without getting ripped? Thanks
for
the responce Bob!

Tim Schuh

Advice from a known and avowed skeptic (me): There's no such thing as
"unsearched" wheat lots.

Mr. Jaggers

I agree wholeheartedly and disagree vehemently!! :-) The deeper you
go in this hobby, the more your perceptions undergo change. (no pun
intended). Unsearched for what? The beginner searches for key dates
and high grades. The veteran who has grown in the wisdom of the hobby
may be seeking rare die states and die varieties unknown to newbies.
The treasure hunt is to the knowledgeable. (sp?) After all, this
hobby is not really about little round pieces of stuff. It is about
people getting excited about a common interest based on constant
learning and growth, isn't it? If you collected waffles, who would
care?
Aram.

Hey, now just a darn minute, Aram, I collect waf....never mind.

I have a feeling that the average person who buys into the rubric
"unsearched" does so with visions of 1909-S VDBs and some of the lesser
lights, not more modern stuff that might contain minute die variations. But
I could be, and often am, wrong.

Mr. Jaggers

I'm nearly sure you're right. But that's my point. If newbies ask
for advice about unsearched rolls and bags, we should provide
information to help them grow in the hobby. And I am more often wrong
than you. You should see MY waf... oh, never mind.
Aram.
Old March 28th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in message
oups.com...
While this doesn`t exactly concern coins I had a similar experience
with some old postcards...When my grandfather passed away I got a tin
box of postcards he had bought while in the navy during WW1..All the
cards were from 1916-1918..He bought them and then just put them in
this box and they never saw the light of day again...When I took them
around to antique dealers who dealt in old postcards they all basically
said to the effect "I sell those kind buy the pound for $X.."....Now
I`m sure the postcards they are selling for that low figure per pound
have been sorted thru countless times in the past 90 years by countless
collectors so they know there`s nothing left of value and thus sell
them "Unsearched"....

What a great opportunity to ask to see some of those "by the pound" postcard
lots, so you can judge for yourself if they are indeed the same categories as
yours. I haven't seen many cheap "by the pound" lots of 1916-1918 postcards on
eBay.

Bruce

Old March 29th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

What a great opportunity to ask to see some of those "by the pound" postcard
lots, so you can judge for yourself if they are indeed the same
categories as
yours. I haven't seen many cheap "by the pound" lots of 1916-1918
postcards on
eBay.

Me either..This was a comment from dealers who buy them and then
wholesale them off..There actually was a huge number of the navy themed
post cards made during the war which showed various ships,ship/work
scenes,patriotic messages etc for sailors to send home..But I have to
believe that various ships have to command more value as some were lost
during the war and others went on to fame in WW2..Or maybe not ...I
have seen individual post cards on Ebay of a similar nature which sell
for like $5 each but again it may depend on the particular ship if one
would be considered "rare"

Old March 29th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I bought a nice pound from Brent-Krueger for $6.95. Dated from the teens
through 60's. Most were nice, a few were crap.