PostEuro selects "most beautiful stamp"

Old December 18th 03, 05:17 PM
Bob Ingraham

Default PostEuro selects "most beautiful stamp"

From the November 2003 issue of Scott Stamp Monthly, this cutline appears
under under a stamp illustration for an accompanying story: "PostEurop
assembly delegates recently selected Monaco's 50-cent stamp as the most
beautiful Europa issue of 2003."

The stamp reproduces the image from a 1951 travel poster titled "Jeune fille
au plongeoir" / "Girl on a diving board". The stamp proves that the
delegates to the PostEurop assembly are doubtless repressed heterosexual
males who spend more time browsing Playboy than studying good graphic
design. You can a see scan of the article at
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/monacobeauty.jpg.

If this stamp was the "most beautiful" Europa issue of 2003, I wonder what
the most banal issue was? Now I have nothing against looking at stamps
showing beautiful women, or even beautiful women themselves, of which there
are more and more, the older I get. Wow, when I turn 100 there are going to
be beautiful women everywhere! I wish my stamp club members consisted of
more beautiful women and fewer old codgers who can scarcely remember what a
beautiful woman looks like, or that they can actually be more fun than
stamps, depending on the stamp, of course. Speaking of stamps....

I suppose, considering *many* of the excruciatingly dull Europa omnibus
issues, a bathing-beauty stamp may well be a contender. If Slania had
engraved the stamp, then it might well have actually been the most beautiful
of the year. But mostly it seems to me to be a 1950s Playboy photo framed by
the required postage stamp stuff and perforations. Not that I really *know*
anything about Playboy photos, since I only read the articles. :^)

Bob

Old December 18th 03, 05:40 PM
Grandpa

The delegates must really be old to see beauty in this particular stamp.
I'm certain there were much nicer ones elsewhere in 2003. Its not in
the same class as the US stop domestic violence stamp (definately ugly!)
IMO however it does leave a lot to be desired.

From the November 2003 issue of Scott Stamp Monthly, this cutline appears

Old December 18th 03, 07:01 PM
Mette

Bob Ingraham wrote in message
From the November 2003 issue of Scott Stamp Monthly, this cutline appears
under under a stamp illustration for an accompanying story: "PostEurop
assembly delegates recently selected Monaco's 50-cent stamp as the most
beautiful Europa issue of 2003."

The stamp reproduces the image from a 1951 travel poster titled "Jeune

fille
au plongeoir" / "Girl on a diving board". The stamp proves that the
delegates to the PostEurop assembly are doubtless repressed heterosexual
males who spend more time browsing Playboy than studying good graphic
design. You can a see scan of the article at
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/monacobeauty.jpg.

- snip -

I suppose, considering *many* of the excruciatingly dull Europa omnibus
issues, a bathing-beauty stamp may well be a contender. If Slania had
engraved the stamp, then it might well have actually been the most

beautiful
of the year. But mostly it seems to me to be a 1950s Playboy photo framed

by
the required postage stamp stuff and perforations. Not that I really

*know*
anything about Playboy photos, since I only read the articles. :^)

On Slania's behalf, thanks Bob ;-)
Actually, Slania did engrave a series of sports stamps
Sweden 1972, Scott # 914-918.
http://slaniastamps.school.dk/frame_Sweden07.htm

These stamps are not among his best, and certainly
wouldn't qualify for any special "awards"!

See also
http://slaniastamps.school.dk/frame_Engravings01.htm
(scroll to bottom of the page)

The engraving of the diving woman was done in 1988
for the Yugoslav Olympic Committee. Slania did the
engraving after the stamp he engraved for the Swedish
Post Office in 1972, Scott # 915.

Mette
http://slaniastamps.school.dk

Old December 19th 03, 01:14 AM
Rodney

On an acute tangent, a recent Australian motor insurer
carried out a survey per head of population on women in accidents.
It was found Brunettes had more accidents than Blondes,
thereby dispelling that common myth of the intellectually challenged latter.

........and fewer old codgers who can scarcely remember what a
beautiful woman looks like.

That's why it was voted best perhaps, it jogged their memory.

Old December 19th 03, 03:04 AM
Tracy Barber

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:14:40 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

On an acute tangent, a recent Australian motor insurer
carried out a survey per head of population on women in accidents.
It was found Brunettes had more accidents than Blondes,
thereby dispelling that common myth of the intellectually challenged latter.

Is that because more brunettes had licenses and those challenged
blondes were not caught or don't know how to drive? :^P

.......and fewer old codgers who can scarcely remember what a
beautiful woman looks like.

Eh?

That's why it was voted best perhaps, it jogged their memory.

Better than Alzheimer's meds!

Tracy Barber