Puzzled re colour of binding

Old March 11th 05, 02:01 PM
Sian

Default Puzzled re colour of binding

I have a copy of Smart and Crofton`s "Dialect of the English Gypsies",
Second Edition dated 1875.

I have consulted both Abe and used.addall to get a rough estimate of its
value and find that the 1875 Second Edition copies mentioned there are
exactly like my copy except that theirs have " purple blind-stamped cloth
gilt". Mine has green cloth(?) with leather spine and spine protector, plus
leather top and bottom edge protectors.Does this mean that two versions of
the Second Edition were printed, or that mine was privately bound? I would
welcome your opinions here and offer thanks in advance.

Attached Images

Old March 13th 05, 03:51 PM
Jerry Morris

(Sian) wrote:
I have a copy of Smart and Crofton`s "Dialect of the English Gypsies",
Second Edition dated 1875.
I have consulted both Abe and used.addall to get a rough estimate of its
value and find that the 1875 Second Edition copies mentioned there are
exactly like my copy except that theirs have " purple blind-stamped
cloth gilt". Mine has green cloth(?) with leather spine and spine
protector, plus leather top and bottom edge protectors.Does this mean
that two versions of the Second Edition were printed, or that mine was
privately bound? I would welcome your opinions here and offer thanks in
advance.

Sain,

You might want to contact Asher Rare Books in the Netherlands
(asherbooks.com). They appear to be related to the publisher of your
book, Asher & Co..

At first, I thought there were two different Asher companies: A. Asher
& Co., 20 Unter den Linden, Berlin, and Asher & Co., 13 Bedford Street,
Covent Garden, London; however they appear to be related.

Adolph Asher began A. Asher & Co. in Berlin in 1830. In 1933, A. Asher
& Co. relocated to Amsterdam, and are currently located in a town on the
outskirts of Amsterdam, where they sell rare books under the business
name of Asher Rare Books.

Asher & Co. appeared in London as early as 1865 and ceased operations in
London sometime between 1900 and 1930.

Asher & Co., London, published books for the Philological Society, the
Chaucer Society, the Early English Text Society, the Civil & Mechanical
Engineer Society, the Royal Society of Literature, and various other
societies of England.

A.Asher & Co., Berlin, published continental editions of works published
by Asher & Co., London, as well as works in foreign languages.

What is confusing is that the first 'A" in A. Asher & Co. was sometimes
omitted in bibliographical records, and sometimes the place of
publication was omitted. At any rate, there is at least one reference
on the web (the Fox Talbot Museum) where the London address and the
Berlin address are both listed on one letter, dated in the late 1860s.

Back to your questions: Was your copy of the book privately bound, or
were there two states of the second edition?

I believe your copy was issued in the purple cloth and rebound by one of
the previous owners, possibly, by the first owner. It could have been
contracted out by Asher & Co. to a binder directly from the printing
press. Is there a binder's ticket near the gutter of either the front or
rear endpaper?

As to value, there are many bibliophiles who believe the book would have
been worth more in its original binding; however, that depends on the
taste of who wants to buy it. Who knows? Asher Rare Books may even want
to acquire it. At any rate, they should be able to tell you if Asher &
Co. ever published editions in both leather and cloth.

Jerry Morris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books:
http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and
moislibrary.com http://www.tinyurl.com/hisn

Old March 13th 05, 08:32 PM
Sian

"Jerry Morris" wrote in message
(Sian) wrote:
[...]

Thank you for that information. I have contacted Asher & Co and will let you
know if I learn anything further.

Sian

Old March 16th 05, 12:04 PM
Sian

(Sian) wrote:
[...]

As promised , I am letting you know the outcome.
Asher Rare Books said they could not help and referred me to Robert Frew Ltd
London. He was able to help and I have been told that my copy is not in the
original cloth and has been rebound.
There is no binder`s ticket near to the gutter of either the front or rear
endpaper so I have no information regarding the binder.
The question now is, I guess,is, will this affect the value. As you stated,
some people prefer the original cloth.
My thanks again.