FA: British 1800s Cork or Sun Helmet, 9th Lancers

Old December 10th 03, 04:30 AM
fishnet531

Default FA: British 1800s Cork or Sun Helmet, 9th Lancers

British 1800s Cork or Sun Helmet, 9th Lancers

This British 1800s Sun type Cork Helmet is in excellent condition. It is
from the 9th Queens Lancers Unit. The helmet is a tan cloth over cork
material. It has the original leather chinstrap. There is a cloth band
around the helmet is a red leather tab (I do not know what this signifies).
Above the leather tab is a very intricate ink stamp/drawn (?) symbol of the
British crown, GR, crossed staffs, and 9th Queens Royal Lancers. The inside
of the helmet has a leather sweat band with size 7 1/8. The underside of the
front and rear brim is a green cloth material. The back brim is ink written
(9th Lancers). The top of the helmet has a small brass spike (3 inches
long). It threads into a brass disk in the helmet top. I do not know if this
is correct for the helmet. I have looked in books and have seen similar
British helmets with a cloth threaded (button) as apposed to the spike. I
have taken it to several individuals some say the spike is for a 1800s
American helmet; others have said it is correct. I received this helmet with
the spike from a large collection, so I keep it with the helmet. The helmet
is in excellent condition with no stains, tears, or damage. A very nice
helmet that is getting very hard to find.
To see pictures, please view at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=2209880491