Ebay on Super Bowl Sunday

Old February 3rd 05, 03:40 PM
Randy Thompson

Default Ebay on Super Bowl Sunday

I've always heard that day of big sporting events were great days for
buyers and lousy days for sellers since so many are watching the game
and not surfing ebay. I've tried on many occasions to get some of
these great deals but I personally never seem to find them.

Just this morning I realized that I had listed three coins that will
close this Sunday evening. I guess I'll find out from the other side
if bargains abound, for my buyers at least.

Maybe the automatic snip programs are keeping this from being as big an
issue as it was in the past. Either way, I'll be checking ebay early
to put anything interesting that I find on my watch list. I don't use
snipe software so I'll be by the computer for anything I want to bid
on.

Maybe we need to start a thread on Monday to share any good Super Bowl
snipes. Hopefully there will be some, but I'm hoping they aren't my
auctions.

Old February 3rd 05, 04:03 PM
John Ahnen

"Randy Thompson" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I also listed some auctions to end on Sunday, but they were set to end
midday. My thinking was that more people will be at home in anticipation of
the game later. They might even be lubed up a bit which might lower their
bidding inhibitions. I'll post results next week.

Old February 3rd 05, 06:20 PM
Larry Louks

Randy Thompson thought a bit and and then selfishly quipped:
Maybe we need to start a thread on Monday to share any good Super Bowl
snipes. Hopefully there will be some, but I'm hoping they aren't my
auctions.

Oh, come on now, Randy! Where is that spirit of helpfulness and
"willingness to spread numismatic cheer" that we all thought you were a
chief promoter of? g,d,&r

Larry
'practicing my last-second click even now!'
Old February 3rd 05, 06:27 PM
Ron

On 3 Feb 2005 07:40:12 -0800, "Randy Thompson"
wrote:

[...]

Ouch, didn't even think of that when I listed 2 auctions. They will
close around 9:30PM Chicago time.

Oh well,,,, we will see.

Ron

Old February 3rd 05, 06:57 PM
Bill Krummel

[...]

Well, I am a bachelor and it is easy for me to make time to surf eBay on
Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, etc., looking for bargains. I
have yet to find a bargain during those times that are supposed to be bad
ending times.

OTOH, I have 3 coin auctions that are ending this Sunday evening because of
thoughtlessness when I listed. So, I can pretty much guarantee that someone
will be getting a bargain.

Bill

Old February 3rd 05, 08:29 PM
Dale Hallmark

[...]

I didn't think about it. I will watch part of it anyway but I haven't watched an
entire football
game in years :-)

I do have 9 or so auctions ending Sunday night but nothing that will bring any money
on a good day.
So if they sell at all I will be pleased. Heck I should have given most of them
away anyway!

Dale

Old February 3rd 05, 09:30 PM
Randy Thompson

I spread my share of cheer in my last listing where that Walker went
for about half of wholesale. Maybe the buyer won't like it and will
send it back for a refund.

George D got some buffalo cheer from me a while back too. The only
reason I don't lose my shirt on every auction is that I bought most of
the coins so long ago. How succesful could I be as a dealer if I had
to hold all my coins 5-20 years in order to make a profit?

Larry, if you win one of my auctions I'll put a smiley face sticker on
the coin for you. Will that be enough cheer for you? Would you like
it on the obverse or the reverse? Gotta go talk my five-year-old
daughter out of a couple now.

I think that Barber dime may be spreading some cheer this time too...

Old February 3rd 05, 09:33 PM
Randy Thompson

Mine end late in the evening. Maybe the game will be over. Maybe the
bidders will be even more lubed up. Maybe they will be passed out...

Old February 3rd 05, 09:42 PM
Randy Thompson

I have often checked on those holidays too but I never found the
bargains. Maybe I just look in the wrong categories. If only I
collected moderns or "classic bullion" (Morgans).

You know, when I started on ebay in 1997 I would just go to the top
level US Coins category and browse through every coin in the "ending in
24 hours" section. That lasted a couple of years before it got so big
I didn't have time. Now I'm lucky if I can check 2-3 specific
categories in the evening.

Ok, so instead of sharing our weekend bargains we will all be sharing
someone elses bargains, won at our expense.

Old February 3rd 05, 09:45 PM
Randy Thompson

I'm the same way about the football games which is why I didn't occur
to me when I listed them.

My coins always sell since I start them at face value. I may not
always do that but it's worked so far. Of course I have spread some of
Larry's "numismatic cheer" that way.