Help with 1926 Aussie Gold Sovereign

Old November 8th 04, 11:22 AM
Max Power

Default Help with 1926 Aussie Gold Sovereign

I need some help with a 1926 Australian gold Sovereign. Do any experts
read this newsgroup ?

The mintmark on my coin says "SA" - yet all the books I have claim this
style of Sovereign should only be an "S" (Sydney), "M" (Melbourne) or "P"
(Perth).

What would SA mean ???

Thanks in Advance
MP

Old November 8th 04, 11:30 AM
Ian

Max Power wrote:
I need some help with a 1926 Australian gold Sovereign. Do any experts
read this newsgroup ?

The mintmark on my coin says "SA" - yet all the books I have claim this
style of Sovereign should only be an "S" (Sydney), "M" (Melbourne) or "P"
(Perth).

What would SA mean ???

Thanks in Advance
MP

I'm no expert on sovereigns, but you don't need one in this case.

Basically, your coin wasn't minted in Australia but in South Africa. SA
is the mint mark for Pretoria mint and in 1926 there were 11,108,000
gold sovereigns minted there. Current value ranges from the raw gold
content value (bullion) to circa $130 if the coin is in pristine condition.
Old November 8th 04, 12:00 PM
Max Power

"Ian" wrote in message
k...
Max Power wrote:
I need some help with a 1926 Australian gold Sovereign. Do any experts
read this newsgroup ?

The mintmark on my coin says "SA" - yet all the books I have claim this
style of Sovereign should only be an "S" (Sydney), "M" (Melbourne) or "P"
(Perth).

What would SA mean ???

I'm no expert on sovereigns, but you don't need one in this case.

Basically, your coin wasn't minted in Australia but in South Africa. SA is
the mint mark for Pretoria mint and in 1926 there were 11,108,000 gold
sovereigns minted there. Current value ranges from the raw gold content
value (bullion) to circa $130 if the coin is in pristine condition.

Thank you very much Ian. Sad news for me I guess.... I was hoping it was
Sydney! :-(

While you are on a roll... what about a Half Sovereign: 1892 Victoria
Shield-Jubilee head type. Guide says these are either "S" or "M" mintmarks -
but mine definitely has NO mint mark!

MP

Old November 8th 04, 12:53 PM
Max Power

Ignore that last question.

Have discovered absence of mint mark on these means Royal Mint in Great
Britain.

Cheers,
MP

Old November 8th 04, 01:16 PM
Mame

You know that there is two position sfor the mint mark? At the bottom of the
neck on the obverse and right above the date on the reverse.

Mame

"Max Power" wrote in message
"Ian" wrote in message
k...

Old November 8th 04, 01:29 PM
Ian

Max Power wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message
k...

Max Power wrote:

[...]

1892 without a mint mark = London,UK mint. There were 13,680,000 of the
little blighters made in London that year. Value ranges from bullion to
roughly $150 if in pristine condition.

Ian

Old November 8th 04, 01:31 PM
Ian

Max Power wrote:
Ignore that last question.

Have discovered absence of mint mark on these means Royal Mint in Great
Britain.

Cheers,
MP

Too late. I've also just proved a point to myself about how I read /
deal with NG posts. I guess I should scroll through them before
responding to any :-)

Ian
Old November 8th 04, 01:38 PM
Ian

(???) I thought that on the shield back *half* sovereigns the mm (if
there is one) ONLY appears below the shield. (???)

Is it not just the sovereign where the mint mark placement can vary? If
not, I might just have a couple of mis-attributed 1/2 sov's I need to
look closer at. :-)

Ian

Mame wrote:
You know that there is two position sfor the mint mark? At the bottom of the
neck on the obverse and right above the date on the reverse.

Mame

"Max Power" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
.uk...

Old November 8th 04, 01:44 PM
Mame

I was refering to the St George & Dragon sovereigns. I can't remember off
hand where the mint mark on the Shield Sovereigns is. Dad is the Sovereign
collector in the family and therefore can't check on that one.

Mame

k...

Mame wrote:
You know that there is two position sfor the mint mark? At the bottom of

the
neck on the obverse and right above the date on the reverse.

Mame

"Max Power" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
.uk...

Old November 8th 04, 11:40 PM
Max Power

"Ian" wrote in message

While you are on a roll... what about a Half Sovereign: 1892 Victoria
Shield-Jubilee head type. Guide says these are either "S" or "M"
mintmarks - but mine definitely has NO mint mark!

MP

1892 without a mint mark = London,UK mint. There were 13,680,000 of the
little blighters made in London that year. Value ranges from bullion to
roughly $150 if in pristine condition.

Ian

Thanks again. My problem is although my Renniks Guide is very good with the
Australian coin valuations, it doesn't mention there are other varieties of
these coins.

For a younger person like myself not fully conversant with all the history
and not knowing that the Empire countries shared their currency back then,
it was a bit confusing until I realised we all shared the same money... and
these were simply foreign versions of the same coin but not mentioned in the
guide.

I've learned a lot - not exactly greatest news on the valuations, but at
least now I know... Thanks for your help!