How much to restore

Old February 17th 17, 05:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default How much to restore

So how much would it cost to restore a Seeburg VL 200 d? for the most part it looks like cosmetically it is in good share. I have not turned it on to see if it will power up yet. Going to pick it up this weekend and just trying to do some research on it. Everyone says it is the rolls royce of machines. Just wondering what the cost MIGHT be to put in to it. Just looking for a range.
Old February 19th 17, 12:41 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

First off -DO NOT TURN IT ON...unless you bought it restored electronically.. All old electronics must be properly serviced before it can be operated safely.

I've owned three V-VL's. the restoration costs varied from about $200 USd when all i had to do was wash it all components and rebuild the electronics myself to approx $1400 USd for complete re-chroming and several hundred more for new-old side glasses and medallions along with again rebuilding the electronics. Since these were destined to return to commercial services, I improved the sound system with newer pickup, modded amp and added a decent tweeter.

The first was done in April 1986 and the last in fall 1989 expect at least some prices to have risen -especially the replating process.

So, asses your own abilities regarding electronics repair and mechanism servicing. I suggest buying a complete service manual before doing anything with this machine.

As for it being the "Rolls Royce" well....in terms of styling, it does epitomize a segment of 1950's design. But the V-Vl really belong to the era just preceding rock and roll. The AMI H&I along with Seeburg K and 201-beyond are more in the R&R era.

Seeburg company was sold to Fort Pit industries during the run of the VL so it is the last "real Seeburg" if you count original ownership of the company as some sort of pedigree.

I never really had a chance to enjoy these machines in a home setting. They were turned around in workshops and went right into service. I do hope you'll take the time to do all the work needed to restore the 60 year old gems..

RobNYC