AMI D-80 HELP

Old May 20th 15, 01:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default AMI D-80 HELP

Bought an complete Ami D-80 few days ago. Truly was in a barn. Power box cord broken, Amp cord destroyed, Carriage parts would not move, Wiring to lights destroyed, Must have been a hi rise motel for mice. Removed the carriage assembly. Got it cleaned up with everything free now, Replaced the power supply cord, plugged it in and all voltages looks good. Replaced the amp cord, plugged it in and all tubes lit up. Don't know how but beside the power and light cords I haven't found any wires chewed in to. I have the carriage in back of the box. Hooked up the power supply and amp. Turned it on and the thing worked fairly well. I have to push the selector switch down manually to get it to operate but I have it moving, stopping at the switch, installing the record, puts it back when it hits the stop switch. You can hear the record play but I cant get it any louder. Not sure my volume control switch is good but I think it is. I would be surprised if its the amp as other than the surface rust it was really clean inside. Is there a mute switch some where and so where is it located. When I start the record the amp comes on like it is suppose to and after the record stops it shuts off so it would seem the amp is working like its suppose to. so if I can get the sound up I might end up with a good box. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Norm in Missouri
Old May 20th 15, 03:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

On 05/20/2015 7:09 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
On 05/20/2015 08:07 AM, wrote:
Bought an complete Ami D-80 few days ago. Truly was in a barn. Power

snip
Hello, and from your report I'd say you did pretty well for a box that
old. (I trust you got it for a good price). Your audio problem could
be due to anything from the stylus to the loudspeakers. An amplifier
that old (assuming it hasn't been recently rebuilt) probably needs some
work (new caps, vacuum tubes, etc). Check the loudspeaker(s) for the
condition of the cones and foam attachment to the speaker frames.
Sincerely,

Yes, he does sound lucky. An amp rebuild is definitely required at this
stage.

I would also HIGHLY recommend that you replace ALL the 115VAC lamp cord
in the jukebox as the insulation is failing and presents a serious shock
and/or fire hazard!

Also the wiring to the carriage is suspect, it too needs replacing. this
is easy you just need lamp cord to replace the old wire and reuse the
folding metal stays to keep it all neat.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old May 21st 15, 03:03 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On 05/20/2015 08:07 AM, wrote:
[...]

I didn't pay much for it. Jukeboxes are a real bad investment but I do enjoy working on them. I can hear the record play. It will play the complete record just fine. If I unplug the stylus from the amp the sound stops. If I unhook one of the speaker wires the sound stops. So by that it would seem as though my sound is working but I just cant get the sound up. I bought this from a friend of mine just to help him out and I also like this style of jukebox and I had all the parts I knew I needed to get it back looking good cosmetically if I could not get it to work. I don't have the push button plugs hooked up yet. I reseated all the bad push buttons and checked all the wiring and it looks good there. I replaced the two pin banks as the two that were in there were froze up. The small control box on the carousel ( has a switch and red button ) I am sure the switch is bad. I broke it when I tried to free it up. Don't think it should have any thing to do with the sound but not sure. The upper light works fine and is in very nice shape. The wiring harness from the switches to the box is really in nice shape. Usually these are frayed/broken but this one isn't. So if I can get the sound up I should have a pretty decent jukebox. Thanks for your replies. Norm