A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Juke Boxes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Seeburg LPC-480 Speakers

Old March 21st 15, 04:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Steve C
external usenet poster

Default Seeburg LPC-480 Speakers

I've been trying to get help with my Seeburg LPC-480 jukebox in regards to the speakers. I need replacements however I really don't want to buy used or re-cone. Reconing seems to be just as expensive as new speakers and I have yet to find recone kits so I can do it myself. For some reason this topic is "taboo" and no one has been able to give me any suggestions....the reason why I joined this group; there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here.. I've been told to stay with the factory speakers and that others won't work...I have a hard time believing this.

I have three questions: 1) Can someone recommend new speakers as replacements to the existing LPC-480 speakers? 2) If no one has recommendations, does anyone by chance know the impedance and manufacturer of the following based on the serial numbers; (tweeter: 488811-5), (midrange: 488814-5), (woofer: 488810-4)? Currently the speakers are connected to TB-103/TB-104 on the amplifier which I think are low impedance. 3) If anyone knows where I can buy a reconing kit, I'd be willing to give this a try.

Ideally I'd like to replace them with aftermarket speakers for two reasons; they won't be seen and I believe new speakers would sound better based on today's new materials. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ads
Old March 21st 15, 05:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson
external usenet poster

On 03/21/2015 9:24 AM, Steve C wrote:
I've been trying to get help with my Seeburg LPC-480 jukebox in regards to the speakers. I need replacements however I really don't want to buy used or re-cone. Reconing seems to be just as expensive as new speakers and I have yet to find recone kits so I can do it myself. For some reason this topic is "taboo" and no one has been able to give me any suggestions....the reason why I joined this group; there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here.. I've been told to stay with the factory speakers and that others won't work...I have a hard time believing this.

I have three questions: 1) Can someone recommend new speakers as replacements to the existing LPC-480 speakers? 2) If no one has recommendations, does anyone by chance know the impedance and manufacturer of the following based on the serial numbers; (tweeter: 488811-5), (midrange: 488814-5), (woofer: 488810-4)? Currently the speakers are connected to TB-103/TB-104 on the amplifier which I think are low impedance. 3) If anyone knows where I can buy a reconing kit, I'd be willing to give this a try.

Ideally I'd like to replace them with aftermarket speakers for two reasons; they won't be seen and I believe new speakers would sound better based on today's new materials. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think speaker reconing is a taboo subject, rather it is
difficult to get it done correctly by amateurs (such as I). What I have
seen of reconing shops is the alignment and fit plus the huge stock of
spares needed makes it unaccessable to the small shop.

The voice coils should be 16 ohms if I'm not mistaken, and those will be
hard to find. They also need to be the correct thickness and match the
replacement cone too. Then you have to find the spider web like
centering bellows and glue all this together with spacers, etc.

I take my speakers to the local speaker shop just because I can't
compete with the quality of their work and I want my customers to be
happy with the results. I've not had a call-back on any reconed speaker
done by professionals.

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
Old March 21st 15, 06:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Steve C
external usenet poster

Do you have any suggestions for replacement speakers? Some say this can't be done since the stock speakers were matched to the amp. I have a hard time buying this since I've run many different brand speakers through a variety of amps...your ideas?
Old March 22nd 15, 07:58 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 12:24:33 PM UTC-4, Steve C wrote:
I've been trying to get help with my Seeburg LPC-480 jukebox in regards to the speakers. I need replacements however I really don't want to buy used or re-cone. Reconing seems to be just as expensive as new speakers and I have yet to find recone kits so I can do it myself. For some reason this topic is "taboo" and no one has been able to give me any suggestions....the reason why I joined this group; there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. I've been told to stay with the factory speakers and that others won't work...I have a hard time believing this.

If you want exact replacement speakers the best you can do is to get them from another LPC 480 or LPC 1. Jukeboxparts.com may have some. If you want the cost effective way out, get a pair of 12 inch woofers with a power handling capacity of 50 Watts RMS or higher , 8 ohm, and they should suffice. The LPC series never had that great of a sound to begin with. Make sure you wire the bass speakers " in phase " with each other.
Old March 22nd 15, 03:08 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Steve C
external usenet poster

Bob, I was under the assumption that all the speakers in the LPC-480 were 16 ohm? My woofers appears to be ok....just need to replace the mids and tweets which I believe I can get in 16 ohm if this is the case. I want to thank this group w/ recommendations.
Old March 24th 15, 04:08 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 11:08:10 AM UTC-4, Steve C wrote:
Bob, I was under the assumption that all the speakers in the LPC-480 were 16 ohm? My woofers appears to be ok....just need to replace the mids and tweets which I believe I can get in 16 ohm if this is the case. I want to thank this group w/ recommendations.

It has been several decades since I have worked with any of the LPC series machines. Different manufacturers and different models may have different impeadence speakers. For the mid and hi speakers they are coupled to the amplifier thru a crossover network, usually a capacitor to block the bass from blowing out the mid and hi speakers. I would not be too concerned about using commonly available 8 ohm speakers, especially on the midrange and hi freq. Only other alternative would be to get original replacements from another old machine. Most likely the original manufacturer of the LPC Seeburg speakers is long gone and they are not going to have exact replacements available anyway. Most jukebox speakers were custom made and sold only thru Jukebox manufacturers and their distributors.