What do you collect?

Old August 24th 12, 01:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_6_]

Default What do you collect?

gogu wrote :
Nice greek family name you have;-)

Thank you : I was not aware of that !
May be "COURTIADES" would "sound" more greek than COURTIADE ?

Does that family name have any meaning in greek language (my learning of
ancient greek at school during 4 years is quite far away - more than 50
years ago !)

BTW, my family name comes from the SW of France (between Bordeaux and
Toulouse).

--
All the best,
Pierre

Old August 24th 12, 03:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien

After that 2d step, I will surely invest in a set of Brusden-Whites
or in one or 2 volumes to begin.
Which volumes would you suggest to acquire first ?

Get what you can - I have the single loose leaf volume

I have hundreds of old GB stamps : it will be my next country to sort
out ... in 10 years ? When I have finished to classify my KGV's
from OZ :-)

Hundreds? There are about 3000 separately identifiable Penny Blacks!
Old August 24th 12, 09:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Pierre COURTIADE" wrote in message

May be "COURTIADES" would "sound" more greek than COURTIADE ?

Does that family name have any meaning in greek language (my learning of
ancient greek at school during 4 years is quite far away - more than 50
years ago !)

"We do not have a record of the primary ethnicity of the name Courtiade.
Many surnames travel around the world throughout the ages, making their
original nationality and ethnicity difficult to trace. "

http://www.ancientfaces.com/research...nd-family-tree

Désolé, Pierre, it's the best info that I could find so far, together with
the stamp dedicated to you on:
http://sna-on.postalstamps.biz/rcsd/participants.htm

:-)

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old August 24th 12, 09:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

? "Pierre COURTIADE" ?????? ??? ??????
gogu wrote :
Nice greek family name you have;-)

Thank you : I was not aware of that !
May be "COURTIADES" would "sound" more greek than COURTIADE ?

Yes, but in French greek names usually "lose" their "s" termination, like
Platini (accent on last i in French) which is originaly Italian and the
accent was in the first i...

Does that family name have any meaning in greek language (my learning of
ancient greek at school during 4 years is quite far away - more than 50
years ago !)

Nope but it's a rather rare (and beautiful) name even in Greece.
It reminds of a person related to education, a school teacher or something
like that, don't ask me how I have this "image" in my mind;-)
Some people say/believe that some family names have a "relation" with the
profession people do and your name is one of them IMO...

BTW, my family name comes from the SW of France (between Bordeaux and
Toulouse).

Who knows where your ancestor came many generations ago...
They could have moved in SW France from say, Marseille area where the greek
element was quite large many centuries ago...

rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

--
All the best,
Pierre

Old August 24th 12, 10:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

Ï "gogu" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
? "Pierre COURTIADE" ?????? ??? ??????
gogu wrote :
[...]

Actually your family name seems to be strongly related to anotherb greek
family name (quite common this one...), that of Courtidis (Courtides in
French, Kourtidis in greek)).
While searching for the origins of your name you should may consider the
posibility that your name was writen initially with a k instead of c, namely
Kourtiades (which is closely related to that of Kourtidis as I said).

rgrds

Old August 24th 12, 10:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

? "Victor Manta" ?????? ??? ??????
"Pierre COURTIADE" wrote in message

May be "COURTIADES" would "sound" more greek than COURTIADE ?

Does that family name have any meaning in greek language (my learning of
ancient greek at school during 4 years is quite far away - more than 50
years ago !)

"We do not have a record of the primary ethnicity of the name Courtiade.
Many surnames travel around the world throughout the ages, making their
original nationality and ethnicity difficult to trace. "

http://www.ancientfaces.com/research...nd-family-tree

Yeah, right!
Very "reliable" source;-)
I introduced the name "Popescu" which is an arch-known romanian name and it
gave me the exactly same text as for...Courtiade;-)
"We do not have a record of the primary ethnicity of the name Popescu.
Many surnames travel around the world throughout the ages, making their
original nationality and ethnicity difficult to trace.
http://www.ancientfaces.com/research...nd-family-tree
LOL

Old August 27th 12, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Roy[_3_]

I have an inactive US collection started about age 10 thanks to an album given
to me by an uncle. I collected mint through 1978 when I got ticked off due to
the massive flood of stamps being issued each year. After adding about all the
material to this collection I can afford, I quit collecting for many years.

My wife is a collector though, and I saw an ad in her Linns for the Precancel
Stamp Society a dozen years ago or so, swapped a couple of emails with a dealer,
and before I knew it I was a precancel collector.

I have a bureau collection that is about as complete as it ever will be, Over
this past winter my wife printed out the free PSS album pages for Town and Type
(one example of each type of precancel used in a town) collections for all
states and territories, and I have begun migrating stamps from my hand made
albums to the new ones. The pages are issued by state and territory. All the
US is about 2800 pages.

I have general collections (like a T&T except you try to get a copy of each
precancel type on every face different stamp) for MS, OH, TX and eventually one
for TN. General collections are for the masochistic precancel collector. For
example, a complete Ohio T&T collection is about 1857 types. A complete Ohio
general collection is probably on the order of 30,000-40,000 stamps.

I also collect prepers (precanceled perfins), accumulate plain perfins thinking
that someday I'll buy an album and mount them, and have an accumulation of
precancels that show nail and screw heads used to repair the precancel devices.
Not sure where these are going to end up, but I keep accumulating them.

I collect covers commemorating US Bicentennial events that were issued by the
local historical society, historical site or stamp clubs back in the 70's and
80's. These do not have to be precanceled to interest me. 8^) I do not
collect any commercial or FDC versions of these events.

For several reasons I've been mostly inactive for the last 18 months outside of
buying some accumulations of precancels. Six more months and I hope things will
have straightened out enough to allow me to be an active collector again.

Sorry for the length, but there are few precancel collectors, and thought I
should explain some of the terms.
Old August 27th 12, 11:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 8/27/2012 2:58 PM, Roy wrote:

[...]

Good to hear about your precancel efforts. I've created some blank album
pages for precancels. It's very easy to do as almost all the stamps are
the same size. But I'm nowhere near 2800 pages...

Bill
Old August 28th 12, 05:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Roy[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:27:28 -0700, Billns wrote:

Sorry for the length, but there are few precancel collectors, and thought I
should explain some of the terms.

Good to hear about your precancel efforts. I've created some blank album
pages for precancels. It's very easy to do as almost all the stamps are
the same size. But I'm nowhere near 2800 pages...

Bill

Glad to meet another precancel collector.

I made several albums for T&T one year for the states I was most interested in,
and agree it can be done, and has been done by many collectors over the years.
I spent way too many hours typing in all the info once a page design was set.
The PSS pages saved me making over 40 albums and updating the rest, and the page
layout is much nicer than the layout I used. My wife printed the pages on 80 lb
acid free card stock and they came out very nice. Check out the album for your
favorite state:

http://www.precancels.com/free-albums/

I still use several different specialty pages I made for my general collections.
Those are posted in the files section of the precancel email list on Yahoo,
along with a couple other folks contributions. You have to join the group to
get access to the files. There is a link to the discussion group on the PSS
site.

Anybody feel free to post here if you ever find a source for decent peelable
hinges like the old Dennisons. Please, please, please!

Roy
Old August 28th 12, 08:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Droger Jean-Paul

Hello!

I collect for more then 60 years, I'd began at 7. and I am over 70.
now!! I had never stopped to collect, I am member from CCCC (see here
http://www.covercollectors.org/, it's an APS member) since 1957 to find
friends in foreign countries I collect, bit now for some countries I
don't find friends, it's a pity..

I collect so:

France used only from "before stamp", one letter with each type of
cancelation, to now , older also on letter and different cancelations
on stamp alone or letter; I collect a lot of French things, always
used, and have still more duplicates from beginning to now necessary to
exchange with foreign friends.

Swizerland used from "Strubeli" to now , I use Zumstein; I search a
friend in this country to get modern used stamps;

USA used from beginning to 1990, include precancels, I am APS member
(mainly to get a newspaper I have interest and to have to read
english); search mainly stamps before 1940 (straight edges) and
precancel (but now time to discover all stamps I bought on Ebay 2 years
ago); I search also a friend in the States, it seems difficult to find
one that still collect French stamps; I use Scott specialized

All Scandinavian countries used, with Facit or Michel and search a
friend in Finnland and Iceland (I had never one in this country).

All countries from older Yugoslavia (before and after) mint or used,
how I find the stamps, but this collection is sleeping because not easy
to find friends in those countries now, they have other things to do
then collecting stamps

I have now stopped to collect Argentinia and Israël mint because no
time and they are mint collection, used stamps are better for me!!

I think I have not miss out something!

Best wishes for this week!

--
Pour m'envoyer un mail, remplacer anti par droger et manama par
wanadoo; to send me directly a mail replace anti with droger and manama

what else do you collect? [email protected] Coins 218 June 15th 07 06:58 PM
What do you collect? Chrysta Wilson Coins 0 July 19th 03 05:59 PM
What do you collect? \Bo\ Mathews Coins 2 July 18th 03 10:14 PM
What do you collect? gogu Coins 0 July 14th 03 09:56 PM
What do you collect? Wheeler Coins 0 July 13th 03 11:24 AM