Miniature Sheet...MNH or not MNH?...

Old April 29th 12, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

Default Miniature Sheet...MNH or not MNH?...

? "Sir F.A. Rien" ?????? ??? ??????
'Mint' is 'as issued' - so the 'pre-cancel' or 'Cancelled to Order' is
a variant, though most prefer to place the CTO well below 'postally
used'.

Thanks!
So if for many, the CTO are considered inferior to used, I suppose you
suggest to let this CTO set go and go for the MNH...

Replace it when you can find either a postall used or actual Mint set.

Yeah, I thought so, so I bought it and will wait for a real MNH to show up
on eBay!
Thank you all for your help!

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

CTO's were made to sell to collectors - solely a profit operation for
the post office and the hanling 'agent'.

Old April 30th 12, 01:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

As a general rule CTO sheets are worth less than postally used and mint
unfranked.

Most (but not all) collectors consider postal use important, or at least
properly cancelled in the normal manner by the postal services. In other
words, if a sheet has been used in the mail, then that is best. Favour
cancelled, such as when I ask the postmaster to cancel some stamps that
I have bought, is next best (and for many high value stamps this may be
by far the majority of used stamps that are available), but most serious
collectors consider true CTO stamps (where the cancel has been applied
at the printers) as the lowest of the low. Many East German stamps are
almost worthless with printed cancels.
Old April 30th 12, 02:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

? "Tony Clayton" ?????? ??? ??????
As a general rule CTO sheets are worth less than postally used and mint
unfranked.

Most (but not all) collectors consider postal use important, or at least
properly cancelled in the normal manner by the postal services. In other
words, if a sheet has been used in the mail, then that is best. Favour
cancelled, such as when I ask the postmaster to cancel some stamps that I
have bought, is next best (and for many high value stamps this may be by
far the majority of used stamps that are available), but most serious
collectors consider true CTO stamps (where the cancel has been applied at
the printers) as the lowest of the low. Many East German stamps are
almost worthless with printed cancels.

Thanks Tony, nice people here explained it to me;-)
But I've already purchased the CTO set because I was engaged to buy it
before noticing the CTO stamps (even if the seller misrepresented it in his
description...) but I'll try to replace it asap.
BTW, nice to see more coin collectors interested in stamps, too;-)

rgrds