FA: 1921-D Walking Liberty Half

Old May 18th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 1921-D Walking Liberty Half

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 May 2006 23:46:09 -0600, S. Drummond
wrote:

I don't know what it is about that date. I listed a 21-D a couple of
weeks
ago which was borderline "horrible" due to a past cleaning + an obvious
rim
ding (described in the listing) and you could have knocked me over with a
feather when I saw where the final bid ended up- $250 over greysheet ask.

Ah, what are the greysheet numbers for this beastie, please?

$210 bid, $230 ask

Bill

Old May 19th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Ah, what are the greysheet numbers for this beastie, please? Or is that
one of those "I can't tell you because terms of the subscription don't
let me" or something? Are folks allowed to sell their old ones?

I see somebody's already posted the value, but concerning your other
questions... I don't think there's anything in the purchase terms that
prohibits one from providing a listed value from their publication to
somebody who asks. I would imagine that wouldn't cover making copies to sell
or post online, however. I don't know about selling old ones- I give mine
away.

Old May 19th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

about good / ag-3=rim completely worn away. Date must be visible but may be
very weak
good / g-4= very slight rim on both sides. Most of motto "in god we trust"
will be readable although very weak
very good / vg-8= "god" must show all three letters. Half of the very small
lines on the skirt in front of liberty's left leg must show
fine / f-12= all lines on skirt must show. Lines down liberty's legs will be
heavily worn in some areas. Sandal on liberty's left foot must show small
detail lines.

Walkers are tough to grade--like one of the toughest. Many years are weakly
struck pieces of mush. I go by the skirt lines and by how flat the coin is
overall. From what I've seen AG's are really flat and the IGWT is all
blended in with the fields on the top half of the letters. Since it doesn't
appear that half of the skirt lines are visible then that alone says it's no
better than G6. So the best you got is a G6-scratched-dinged. It doesn't
look cleaned so that's a big plus. There's not a whole lot of difference in
appearance between G and VG on most Walkers so it really is tough to judge
unless you can stare at it in person. It's also tough to find those in that
low grade that isn't cleaned, scratched and dented up.

Old May 19th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 19 May 2006 02:55:35 GMT, bri wrote:
about good / ag-3=rim completely worn away. Date must be visible but may be
very weak
good / g-4= very slight rim on both sides. Most of motto "in god we trust"
will be readable although very weak
very good / vg-8= "god" must show all three letters. Half of the very small
lines on the skirt in front of liberty's left leg must show

We're clearly not at VG, based on overall appearance (a vague but useful
guide).

Walkers are tough to grade--like one of the toughest. Many years are weakly
struck pieces of mush. I go by the skirt lines and by how flat the coin is
overall. From what I've seen AG's are really flat and the IGWT is all
blended in with the fields on the top half of the letters. Since it doesn't
appear that half of the skirt lines are visible then that alone says it's no
better than G6. So the best you got is a G6-scratched-dinged.

Right. So that's why I'm calling it a G-4 for the eBay auction. The
fact that Heritage suggested that grade as well was a nice confirmation
- I described it to them as "In the neighborhood of G-4".

It doesn't
look cleaned so that's a big plus. There's not a whole lot of difference in
appearance between G and VG on most Walkers so it really is tough to judge
unless you can stare at it in person. It's also tough to find those in that
low grade that isn't cleaned, scratched and dented up.

This one came out of a junk silver purchase from a dealer. I _think_ it
was a batch that I bought when silver was above 14, and they were really
busy. I've seen 'em just dump coins right into the junk bags without
looking at them, so I'm guessing that's what happened here.

This will stay "coin money" and I'll probably go back to that same
dealer, and buy another stack of walkers with it. Not expecting another
nice surprise, but if I can leverage this one half into a bunch, then my
silver profits will benefit nicely from this luck.

Thanks for your time and thoughts on the grade. There's a couple of
completed 1921-D's on eBay that are graded VG that look worse than this
one. And it looks better than an AG. And I'm sure I'm overanalyzing
this whole thing, and the market can (and indeed is) find a value.
Old May 19th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah those grading descriptions are whacked. Nothing hardly ever matches
what it says it should be like. You can find some with lots of skirt lines
but no rim all all or you can find those with full rims where IGWT is almost
totally gone--they're toughies to grade for sure.
But that is right about people overgrading goods as very goods on raw stuff.
With a key there's quite a difference in the value.