US 5 cent coins

Old October 28th 13, 05:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
DAVID F5097

Default US 5 cent coins

I have 500 or more nickels from '50s through 80's most are (by my estimate)vg-8 to vf-20 and a few ef-40. I want to sell them to buy coins missing from my collection. Can these be sold at a premium or should I turn them in at my local bank at face value?
Old October 30th 13, 11:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Monday, October 28, 2013 12:50:24 PM UTC-4, DAVID F5097 wrote:
I have 500 or more nickels from '50s through 80's most are (by my estimate)vg-8 to vf-20 and a few ef-40. I want to sell them to buy coins missing from my collection. Can these be sold at a premium or should I turn them in at my local bank at face value?

I'd look through them, pull any 1938's, 1939's, any of the silver war years (1942-1945 with the large mint mark above Montecello), any 1950-D, and all of the "S" mint marks. You'll get a small premium for most of these. As for the rest, wrap them and cash them in.

Jerry
Old November 4th 13, 05:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ruben Safir

On 10/30/2013 06:46 AM, Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Monday, October 28, 2013 12:50:24 PM UTC-4, DAVID F5097 wrote:
I have 500 or more nickels from '50s through 80's most are (by my estimate)vg-8 to vf-20 and a few ef-40. I want to sell them to buy coins missing from my collection. Can these be sold at a premium or should I turn them in at my local bank at face value?

I'd look through them, pull any 1938's, 1939's, any of the silver war years (1942-1945 with the large mint mark above Montecello), any 1950-D, and all of the "S" mint marks. You'll get a small premium for most of these. As for the rest, wrap them and cash them in.

Jerry

objectively, there is not much value in this.