A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Coins
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

War of 1812 coins

Old November 3rd 12, 06:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
george pearl
external usenet poster

Default War of 1812 coins

I thought that the US Mint would
have seized the opportunity to issue
200 year anniversary commemorative
coins for the War of 1812.

I guess the war was fought as late
as 1815 and achieved a stalemate.
Still, I'm a little disappointed
some crummy coins weren't issued.
Ads
Old November 3rd 12, 04:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo
external usenet poster

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 22:49:33 -0700 (PDT), george pearl
wrote:

The US Mint is incapable of seizing any opportunity.

Congress decides....not the Mint
Old November 3rd 12, 04:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus
external usenet poster

george pearl wrote:

Canada issued some very nice coins for the anniversary.

http://tinyurl.com/cnh7vkv

JAM
Old November 4th 12, 01:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 3, 2012 11:11:16 AM UTC-4, Phil DeMayo wrote:
On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 22:49:33 -0700 (PDT), george pearl

wrote:

The US Mint is incapable of seizing any opportunity.

Congress decides....not the Mint

Good to see you are still above ground and above room temperature Phil!
Old November 4th 12, 02:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 3, 2012 12:49:33 AM UTC-5, george pearl wrote:
I thought that the US Mint would have seized the opportunity to issue 200 year anniversary commemorative coins for the War of 1812. I guess the war was fought as late as 1815 and achieved a stalemate. Still, I'm a little disappointed some crummy coins weren't issued.

IMHO, this year's Star Spangled Banner Coins and the upcoming Fort McHenry National Park Quarter pretty much fill the bill. The War of 1812 is a critical, but quirky historical event that it is difficult for many present day Americans to understand.

It might be nice to have a coin for the bicentennial of the Battle of New Orleans, but that might be a bit taboo (like it might be politially incorrect to have a coin for the Bicentennial of the Burning of the White House) since we were fighting our jolly British cousins and friends.

My question is why we haven't seen a Grant and Lee silver dollar commemorating the U.S. Silver War - we are in the sesquicentenial era of that five-year event.

oly
Old November 4th 12, 02:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek
external usenet poster

There are some "don't go there" aspects of celebrating this anniversary.

1. We invaded Canada, thinking we would be greeted as liberators.

2. About 3,000 American black slaves received their freedom from British troops.

3. The United States demanded than England return the slaves, England eventually paid $1,204,960 in damages to the US, which reimbursed the slaveowners for their "property."
Old November 4th 12, 03:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus
external usenet poster

oly wrote:

I thought that the US Mint would have seized the opportunity to issue 200 year anniversary commemorative coins for the War of 1812. I guess the war was fought as late as 1815 and achieved a stalemate. Still, I'm a little disappointed some crummy coins weren't issued.

IMHO, this year's Star Spangled Banner Coins and the upcoming Fort McHenry National Park Quarter pretty much fill the bill. The War of 1812 is a critical, but quirky historical event that it is difficult for many present day Americans to understand.

It might be nice to have a coin for the bicentennial of the Battle of New Orleans, but that might be a bit taboo (like it might be politially incorrect to have a coin for the Bicentennial of the Burning of the White House) since we were fighting our jolly British cousins and friends.

My question is why we haven't seen a Grant and Lee silver dollar commemorating the U.S. Silver War - we are in the sesquicentenial era of that five-year event.

oly

Grant is a hero and Lee was a traitor.

JAM
Old November 4th 12, 04:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
R S H
external usenet poster

On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 18:49:53 -0700 (PDT), Frank Provasek wrote:

There are some "don't go there" aspects of celebrating this anniversary.

1. We invaded Canada, thinking we would be greeted as liberators.

And Canada with its natives were happy to defeat the invaders and burn forts in Detroit, and around Niagara Falls on the U.S. side of the
river.

2. About 3,000 American black slaves received their freedom from British troops.

And many more used the underground railroad to come to Canada and settle in Ontario, free of slavery. While most Blacks in Canada came from
the many Carribean islands, there are a large number of descendants of American slaves who made it to freedom in Upper Canada from the
southern U.S., even during the War of 1812, which indeed lasted into 1815

3. The United States demanded than England return the slaves, England eventually paid $1,204,960 in damages to the US, which reimbursed the slaveowners for their "property."

4. The Battle of New Orleans took place after the war was officlally over, due to the nature of communications those days. Hard to celebrate
a battle that should never have occurred...

Old November 4th 12, 04:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
R S H
external usenet poster

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 22:58:44 -0400, Frank Galikanokus wrote:

oly wrote:

oly

Grant is a hero and Lee was a traitor.

JAM

Depends on where you live in the U.S... If you live south of the Mason-Dixon line Lee was a hero and Grant was a relaatively mean destroyer,
with Sherman getting most of that blame.

rsh
Old November 5th 12, 03:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 3, 2012 9:58:43 PM UTC-5, Frank Galikanokus wrote:
oly wrote: On Saturday, November 3, 2012 12:49:33 AM UTC-5, george pearl wrote: I thought that the US Mint would have seized the opportunity to issue 200 year anniversary commemorative coins for the War of 1812. I guess the war was fought as late as 1815 and achieved a stalemate. Still, I'm a little disappointed some crummy coins weren't issued. IMHO, this year's Star Spangled Banner Coins and the upcoming Fort McHenry National Park Quarter pretty much fill the bill. The War of 1812 is a critical, but quirky historical event that it is difficult for many present day Americans to understand. It might be nice to have a coin for the bicentennial of the Battle of New Orleans, but that might be a bit taboo (like it might be politially incorrect to have a coin for the Bicentennial of the Burning of the White House) since we were fighting our jolly British cousins and friends. My question is why we haven't seen a Grant and Lee silver dollar commemorating the U.S. Silver War - we are in the sesquicentenial era of that five-year event. oly Grant is a hero and Lee was a traitor. JAM

Well, O.K., I would be thrilled with a Civil War Sesquicentennial silver dollar coin featuring Grant and Sherman too, or Grant and Lincoln, or just U.S. Grant. However, General Sherman has never yet gotten his due on a U.S. Coin and he was a most effective military man. He should be remembered but perhaps not alone, along with Grant would be fitting.

oly