When do I change ?

Old June 2nd 09, 04:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jim

Default When do I change ?

Hello Group:

I have been a "STAMP COLLECTOR" or ages, or can I say since 1955 with
a small book and plenty of stamps. Now I am 61 years old and I ask
myself if I am a STAMP COLLECTOR or STAMP ACCUMULATOR. I have my
interests of my small collection and read this group almost every day
and marvel what you give me. I have a special folder just for sites
you have told me about. I have re-organized my collection, put in new
stamps I have found and much more. But when does a person with my
background, become a PHILATALIST ? Sorry I might of spelled wrong but
tell me in simple words what is the difference of a STAMP COLLECTOR or
a PHILATALIST(sP)? Dare tell me or do I still call myself a STAMP
COLLECTOR ?

Many more thanks to this group and what you give me,
JIM
Old June 2nd 09, 08:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the group,

An accepted definition of philatelist is 'a collector and student of
postage stamps '. According to the definition we are all
philatelists. As once described to me a philatelist is one who
studies, or specializes, in one particular area such as a single
issue, postal history of an area, etc. A stamp collector is one who
collects stamps to place in an album without studying the details of
the stamp, production, paper, watermarks, etc..

Personally, I don't lose sleep over the issue. I collect because it is
enjoyable. If I learn something then I consider it an added plus.
Bottomline: Collect to enjoy the hobby.

Jerry B

Old June 2nd 09, 09:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:34:22 -0700, the following words by jim were
discovered:

Hello Group:

I have been a "STAMP COLLECTOR" or ages, or can I say since 1955 with a
small book and plenty of stamps. Now I am 61 years old and I ask myself
if I am a STAMP COLLECTOR or STAMP ACCUMULATOR. I have my interests of
my small collection and read this group almost every day and marvel what
you give me. I have a special folder just for sites you have told me
about. I have re-organized my collection, put in new stamps I have found
and much more. But when does a person with my background, become a
PHILATALIST ? Sorry I might of spelled wrong but tell me in simple words
what is the difference of a STAMP COLLECTOR or a PHILATALIST(sP)? Dare
tell me or do I still call myself a STAMP COLLECTOR ?

A "philatelist" is faux-Greek meaning "one who loves that which is
exempted from tax". So, do you love stamps? Then, bingo, you're a
philatelist.

Some make the distinction that a philatelist is a scholar whereas a stamp
collector fills spaces in an album. More often than not, however, I find
that "philatelist" is what one calls oneself when stamp collectors are
mocked. "I'm not a *stamp* *collector*," they cry. "I'm a *philatest*!"

Terms are pointless. Collect because you love it, and naysayers be
damned. :^)
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, MBPC
Trade?: http://www.mcgees.org/stamp-offers/
Old June 4th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jim

On Jun 2, 3:35*am, wrote:
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the group,

An accepted definition of philatelist is *'a collector and student of
postage stamps '. *According to the definition we are all
philatelists. *As once described to me a philatelist is one who
studies, or specializes, in one particular area such as a single
issue, postal history of an area, etc. *A stamp collector is one who
collects stamps to place in an album without studying the details of
the stamp, production, paper, watermarks, etc..

Personally, I don't lose sleep over the issue. I collect because it is
enjoyable. *If I learn something then I consider it an added plus.
Bottomline: Collect to enjoy the hobby.

Jerry B

Hello Jerry:

I am glad to know I am not loosing sleep over the subject, but I met a
'STAMP ACCUMULATER" that had a lot of nice stamps, but he cut off
some perfs, marked the back of them, and a few were mear pieces of
paper. I have been studying Soviet Space Stamps for ages and love the
sport of finding something new. But this topical we all lived through
and knew the subject of the space race. So I am fine with that, and I
am always interested in the chase of finding that last one to fill the
page.
Thanks for your reply,
JIM
Old June 4th 09, 12:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"jim"
but he cut off some perfs, marked the back of them, and a few were mere
pieces of paper.

EEEEK! I am having a bad dream.

Old June 4th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Hello,
I also subscribe Jerry's opinion. Very wise point of view.

Pedro

Change We Don’t Need Jim Higgins Coins 6 May 26th 09 02:54 AM
name change thelivinglady Coins 2 August 24th 05 05:08 PM
SBA in change Paul Coins 1 July 12th 04 12:21 PM
Received in Change Bob Dennett Coins 6 April 26th 04 04:08 PM
Change Coin Saver Coins 0 September 4th 03 12:19 AM