Franklin Coin & Chronicles

Old May 19th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Franklin Coin & Chronicles

The Coin and Chronicles set arrived this morning by FedEx. I was somewhat
disappointed to see that it was shrinkwrapped. My dilemma is whether to
open it and enjoy it or leave it as is and preserve the value.

What are your thoughts about the value wrapped vs opened? I had planned to
keep this, but of course everything has a price. Well, almost...

Also got my two silver proof sets earlier this week. Very nice too. No
errors that I could spot tho.

Old May 19th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Keeping it wrapped will increase the value ten to thirty percent, judging
from my experience with the Buffalo Coin and Currency set.

But ... If you open it, you may enjoy it. I guess the question is how much
you want to see it, and whether it is worth ten or twenty bucks for you to
take a look at it and keep it around for awhile.

--Keith

Old May 19th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"John Ahnen" wrote in message
. ..
The Coin and Chronicles set arrived this morning by FedEx. I was somewhat
disappointed to see that it was shrinkwrapped. My dilemma is whether to
open it and enjoy it or leave it as is and preserve the value.

What are your thoughts about the value wrapped vs opened? I had planned

keep this, but of course everything has a price. Well, almost...

If you are going to run to eBay and sell it, leave it in the shrink. If like
me you only bought one and plan to keep it, then open it and enjoy it. I
want to see what the reproduction of the Poor Richard's Almanack (correct
spelling) looks like so I'm going to open it. When I get it. Which I haven't
yet.

eBay will be flooded with these things anyway so if you decide to sell it
later, you'll probably get more for it after the initial flurry, even if
it's been opened.

I broke my own rule of "buy two, sell one for double the issue price, the
other one I keep is free" on this thing and only bought one.

Then again, I DID buy two 1999 Silver Proof sets back in 1999, $29.95 each,
and when the price hit $60.00 I sold one, which paid for both, so the one I
still have (which is now worth about $400.00) was / is free. Or, to put it
another way, it cost me nothing, depending on how you define "free." D'oh!
Did anyone in 1999 have any clue that these things would go up to $400.00?
Of course note. Does anyone have any clue what the Ben Franklin set will be
worth in a week / month / months / couple of years? Of course not. And
anyone who claims he does know is blocking smoke out his uhh.. tailpipe.

Harv