Latvian query. Latvia 1932, Michel 211

Old September 26th 05, 09:52 PM
amesh

Default Latvian query. Latvia 1932, Michel 211

This Latvian stamp, depicting Leonardo's self-portrait, was issued 1932,
Michel # 211.
http://queries.heindorffhus.dk/leonardo-latvia1932.jpg

Michel does not list the imperf variety, so I wonder whether it might be a
fake? Can anyone out there confirm my suspicion? Thanks in advance.
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 27th 05, 12:15 AM

amesh wrote:
This Latvian stamp, depicting Leonardo's self-portrait, was issued 1932,
Michel # 211.
http://queries.heindorffhus.dk/leonardo-latvia1932.jpg

Michel does not list the imperf variety, so I wonder whether it might be a
fake? Can anyone out there confirm my suspicion? Thanks in advance.
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)
http://www.heindorffhus.dk
------
Outgoing messages.checked with Norton AV

No, perf-(sorry)-ectly kosher. SG says this set comes both perf
(226A-230A) & imperf (226B-230B), with the imperfs worth about 10% more
than the perfs.

But what has always mystified me is why some stamps, particularly from
the Eastern Bloc, were issued both ways? Did anyone really go into a PO
and say: "Give me a sheet of imperfs, please, I need to exercise my
scissors"?

Chris

Old September 27th 05, 01:56 AM
Blair (TC)

Mette:

In Scott, these are listed as Airmail semi-postals.
80% of the price of the stamp was surtax for
wounded Latvian aviators.

The set is Scott CB9-13 (perf 10, 11.5) or
Scott CB9a-13a (Imperf). Issued DEC 1932.

perf set cv is $59 mint $61 used.
imperf set cv is $84 mint $90 used.

Your (10s + 40s) da Vinci stamp is :
Scott CB10 cv $15 mint or used.
Scott CB10a cv $18 mint or used.

Blair

Old September 27th 05, 02:54 AM
Blair (TC)

Current auction sales price these sets at about 50% of cv.
Some dealers charge +50% over their MLH price for MNH.

Blair

Old September 27th 05, 08:09 AM
amesh

"amesh" skrev i en meddelelse
This Latvian stamp, depicting Leonardo's self-portrait, was issued 1932,
Michel # 211.
http://queries.heindorffhus.dk/leonardo-latvia1932.jpg

Michel does not list the imperf variety, so I wonder whether it might be a
fake? Can anyone out there confirm my suspicion? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, both Chris and Blair, for your answers. That explains a lot. I need
to say that both my Scott and SG are loaned to youth collectors at this
moment, they will come back with our next meeting in a couple of weeks. Only
my Michel is at home.

Mette

Old September 27th 05, 08:13 AM
amesh

skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...

amesh wrote:
This Latvian stamp, depicting Leonardo's self-portrait, was issued 1932,
Michel # 211.
http://queries.heindorffhus.dk/leonardo-latvia1932.jpg

Michel does not list the imperf variety, so I wonder whether it might be
fake? Can anyone out there confirm my suspicion? Thanks in advance.

No, perf-(sorry)-ectly kosher. SG says this set comes both perf
(226A-230A) & imperf (226B-230B), with the imperfs worth about 10% more
than the perfs.

But what has always mystified me is why some stamps, particularly from
the Eastern Bloc, were issued both ways? Did anyone really go into a PO
and say: "Give me a sheet of imperfs, please, I need to exercise my
scissors"?

Some of them even come only imperf and without gum, see for example the
first set from Lithuania after the liberation!
I have a full sheet of each of the four values, and one cover (not
philatelic) franked with one of the stamps.

Mette