RCA "rivet" carts...the best?

Old January 28th 05, 10:59 AM
DeserTBoB

Default RCA "rivet" carts...the best?

I've resuscitated a couple of Yes carts in RCA rivet carts with the
"K" tape wrap, and they seem to have the least amount of playing
trouble of any of them, including Ampex. No speed problems, spring
pads, hard pinch roller, nice plastic shell...I just clean them up, a
little PTFE on the pinch roller post and reel post, and they play like
new every time. Is this the general norm for these with most people?
There was another Yes release on a late Audiopak that has all the
usual "Crapitol" problems...noisy, scraping reel, flutter and all.

One problem with RCAs...missing felt seems to be a major issue with
them. I just happened to have some felt of similar coarseness in the
shop, and it seems to work fine with some contact cement to the
phosphor bronze spring. Is this also a common fault with RCAs, or am
I just lucky? I got a bunch of RCA "pro" blanks with dark oxide tape
resembling Scotch 203, and they're wonderful! Wish I could find more,
since they perform on a par with premium carts from Ampex and Scotch.

dB
Old January 28th 05, 03:32 PM
lennon fan

like the quality of the tape but I hate the rivet.
and yeah, a little dab'll do ya to reglue the felt

Old January 28th 05, 04:23 PM
Bluemuse

I found felt at the fabric shop that is self-adhesive. Just cut it, peel it,
and stick it. I'm not surprised that a thirty-something-year-old adhesive
doesn't stick. The only thing that old that seems to hold tightly are
lubricants!

--Bob Farace

"I only believe in fire." --Anais Nin
Old January 28th 05, 05:16 PM
DeserTBob

ROTFLMAO !

I'm a moron, my name is Bob Scarredbutthole, I'm an unemployed, senile
old man from Arizona, living off the government cash cow of welfare and
disability checks.

Old January 28th 05, 07:09 PM
DeserTBoB

On 28 Jan 2005 08:16:59 -0800, Charlie Nudo of 160 Bear Run Drive in
Drums, PA, posing as "DeserTBob" from
got into mommy' computer and spewed:

ROTFLMAO !

I'm a moron snip

Yes, Noodles, we know you're a moron, which is why we're getting rid
of you soon.

Shut the **** up, Noodles.
Old January 28th 05, 09:26 PM
lennon fan

instead of the rivet it should just have a philips screw. I have some
that are like this, but they are more uncommon.

Old January 30th 05, 05:12 PM
Jonny the 8-Tracker!

Is there any kind of specific felt best to use on the springs, say a
brand name I could search for at a hobby store?

Old January 30th 05, 07:14 PM
DeserTBob

No, this is BOB SCARBOROUGH of Arizona, here's my contact info, I'm a
moron.

Robert A Scarborough Instant Background Check
1149 N 92nd St
Scottsdale, AZ
(480) 970-8364

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed...=us&cat=&trf=0
soon I'll post the info on my instant background check !