Where is everyone?

Old September 16th 07, 01:19 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
John B. Egger[_2_]

Default Where is everyone?

It's disappointing to see so few of the old regulars posting here! Is
there another location for good FP discussion?

--John
Old September 16th 07, 01:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
phk

In article , "j. fabian" wrote:

Most have moved to Pentrace, Lion & Pen, FPN, and other web-based
forums. A pity -- usenet is so much more chummy!

i also like Usent better. maybe someone can start a new interesting topic?

i think Usenet has gone downhill after google went public. a lot of spammers
come from gmail)

regards,

pam kung @ home

Pam's Ode to Spammers & Telemarketers

May all spammers & telemarketers die an agonizing death; have no
burial places; their souls be chased by demons in Gehenna from one
room to another for 1000 years.
Old September 16th 07, 03:18 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Barutan Seijin

Am 15 Sep 2007, phk schrieb:

In article , "j. fabian"
wrote:

Most have moved to Pentrace, Lion & Pen, FPN, and other web-based
forums. A pity -- usenet is so much more chummy!

i think Usenet has gone downhill after google went public. a lot of spammers
come from gmail)

There is a difference between correlation and causation.

I'd say the more likely cause is big ISPs (eg., AOL, Bell Canada)
dropping usenet service.

Frank Dubiel's death didn't help either. I just don't know as much as
he did.

Old September 16th 07, 05:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling[_2_]

On Sep 15, 8:57 pm, (phk) wrote:
In article , "j. fabian" wrote:

i think Usenet has gone downhill after google went public. a lot of spammers
come from gmail)

FPN seems like the best-organised, "community"-oriented web board that
I've tried, but I like Usenet too, and it seems like there was a
sudden rush out of here. However, it also seems like FPN's
infrastructure (software? server?) is slowly crumbling, so a few
people may wander back, at least until those problems are eventually
resolved.

BTW, I'm posting through Google Groups myself -- not by choice, but
because something is wrong with my ISP's NNTP server.

Brian

Old September 17th 07, 05:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling[_2_]

On Sep 15, 10:18 pm, Barutan Seijin wrote:

Frank Dubiel's death didn't help either. I just don't know as much as
he did.

It seems like an opinion is gelling (in FPN's repair forum) that /he/
didn't, either. I have a couple of repair questions I'd like to ask
him, though.

Brian

Old September 21st 07, 06:42 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
phk[_4_]

In article , Barutan Seijin wrote:

i think Usenet has gone downhill after google went public. a lot of spammers
come from gmail)

There is a difference between correlation and causation.

Google did change their spam policy right after they went public. before when
i reported Usenet spams, they'd do something. then they just did not care
anymore.

I'd say the more likely cause is big ISPs (eg., AOL, Bell Canada)
dropping usenet service.

yes,
since a lot fo ISPs have dropped NNTP, the only way to read Usenet is via
Google groups for a lot of people. + the new Usenet formt (Google groups)
really sucks (IMHO).

Frank Dubiel's death didn't help either. I just don't know as much as

maybe someone can start an interesting topic.

btw, i bought a hand-made zebra wood FP in street fair. it's only $55 (can't
remember the exact price.)

regards,

Old October 2nd 07, 01:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
William Bruce

Frank Dubiel's death didn't help either. I just don't know as much as
he did.

Dubiel ran off more people than he helped with his arrogant, disdainful
attitude toward most posters, particularly newbies.