Q: Not issued stamps

Old October 21st 05, 01:36 PM
Victor Manta

Default Q: Not issued stamps

The Romanian set of three values, 1964, Prince Cuza, 2pa, 5pa, 20pa was
never issued. Nevertheless it is listed in all catalogues ($7.50 in my Scott
1999). As expected, it exist only as mint. AFAIK the set was sold to the
stamp collectors by the postal authority, in quite big quantities, which
explain why it is still largely available on the market.

Are you aware of similar examples of postal stamps that weren't issued and
were later sold to collectors?

TIA.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old October 21st 05, 01:48 PM
Stephen Esrati

Germany sold its stocks of stammps of its former colonies to collectors.
Many had watermarks that were never sold in the colonies.

Old October 21st 05, 03:29 PM
Blair (TC)

Victor:

What Scott numbers are these?
I cannot find them in Scoot 2004.

Blair

Old October 21st 05, 04:10 PM

I've come across many in catalogues, let alone cinderella lists and not
mentioning dunes, but remembering them all will be quite an exercise,
which is presumably why you're asking us rather than scouring the cat
:-)) A few clues off the top of my head:-

The Haiti birds which IU were intended to be issued but now only pop up
in kiloware.

One or more sets issued by European governments in exile during WW2.
Some were actually usable in certain circumstances like on ships.

Tuva and Ukraine, and probably other bits of Russia, just before they
got merged into the USSR.

Several countries have stamps which appear only surcharged/overprinted,
often after a revaluation/revolution, but not always.

The only specific ones I can find quickly are India's 1994 birds set
and Begum Ashtur which SG lists (1603-6 & 1609) but says were
"withdrawn shortly after issue due to technical difficulties", although
they do list them used. (I think they're omitted entirely from Scott).

The "mysteries" sites at http://www.raster.it/stefano/a/galleries.htm
and http://home.att.net/~RickScott/Unide...d/Unident.html should be
happy hunting grounds.

Chris

Old October 21st 05, 10:29 PM
Victor Manta

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...
Victor:

What Scott numbers are these?
I cannot find them in Scoot 2004.

Blair

Blair,

No numbers are mentioned in Scott. They are listed after the
Moldavia-Walachia, 1864, Coat of Arms issue. An image of the "Doue Deci
Par.(ale)" stamp is shown (in my Scott 1999). "The stamps in this design -
2pa, 5pa, 20pa - were printed on white wove paper in 1864, but never placed
in use. Value, set $7.50."

IMO, because they show the Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza, these stamps actually
belong to Romania, like the No. 22 -24, with a similar design, that follow
them chronologically. In Michel (98/99) the non-issued are numbered as I, II
and III, price DM 45.

Nostalgic note: these were the first classical stamps that I bought (all
others being either borrowed or stolen ;-).

Old October 22nd 05, 01:24 AM
Blair (TC)

Thanks Victor:

Your original typo of 1964 for 1864 threw me off.
In Scott 2004, the three are priced at $9.00

Blair

Old October 22nd 05, 07:08 AM
Tony Clayton

In a recent message "Victor Manta" wrote:

The Romanian set of three values, 1964, Prince Cuza, 2pa, 5pa, 20pa was
never issued. Nevertheless it is listed in all catalogues ($7.50 in my Scott
1999). As expected, it exist only as mint. AFAIK the set was sold to the
stamp collectors by the postal authority, in quite big quantities, which
explain why it is still largely available on the market.

Are you aware of similar examples of postal stamps that weren't issued and
were later sold to collectors?

Several examples in Italy.

The 1.20 lire Express stamp is a good example, as are several
of the Italian Colonies where the stamps were sold in Rome
but not the colony because of the occupation by British Forces in WW2.

The three lowest values of the Hitler-Mussolini set in the design
of the top three values were also sold in this way.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old October 22nd 05, 08:57 AM
Victor Manta

Default Not issued stamps

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
The Romanian set of three values, 1964, Prince Cuza, 2pa, 5pa, 20pa was
never issued. Nevertheless it is listed in all catalogues ($7.50 in my
Scott 1999). As expected, it exist only as mint. AFAIK the set was sold to
the stamp collectors by the postal authority, in quite big quantities,
which explain why it is still largely available on the market.

Are you aware of similar examples of postal stamps that weren't issued and
were later sold to collectors?

TIA.

--
Victor Manta

Steve, Blair, Chris, Tony, many thanks for your help.

Sorry for the typo: the non-issued Prince Cuza stamps were printed in 1864,
of course!!!

Old October 22nd 05, 09:47 AM
amesh

"Tony Clayton" skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

The original thread and reason for Victor's question appeared on
news:fr.rec.philatelie a couple of days ago, and concerned a non-issued
French Cézanne-stamp. Along this line I could point to Monaco 1972 (Dallay
915, 915A), Albrecht Dürer "Christ Appearing Before Pilate".

Here is the Dallay 915 (the issued sample)
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/du...late-small.jpg

and here is the page
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/frame-Durer.htm

Best regards
Mette

Old October 22nd 05, 12:59 PM
Dominique Stéphan

amesh a écrit:
The original thread and reason for Victor's question appeared on
news:fr.rec.philatelie a couple of days ago, and concerned a non-issued
French Cézanne-stamp. Along this line I could point to Monaco 1972 (Dallay
915, 915A), Albrecht Dürer "Christ Appearing Before Pilate".

Here is the Dallay 915 (the issued sample)
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/du...late-small.jpg

and here is the page
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/frame-Durer.htm

Hi,

Actually, Victor and me disagree about the
origin of *most* unissued stamps : sell by
postal authorites or "borrowed" some way
by some printer employee or government
official.

--
Cordialement