Kinda off topic

Old December 16th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D[_5_]

Default Kinda off topic

http://247wallst.com/2009/12/16/the-...ffic-collapse/

or

http://tinyurl.com/y9veb5b

I don't know if it means anything to us but it interesting..

George

--
Government is a voracious monster that must have your labor to control
YOU! Your money is your liberty. The taxes you pay gently enslave you,
Old December 17th 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"George D" wrote in message

http://247wallst.com/2009/12/16/the-...ffic-collapse/

or

http://tinyurl.com/y9veb5b

I don't know if it means anything to us but it interesting..

Makes one wonder what constitutes an eBay "visitor", a seller? Bidder?
Browser? eBay doesn't seem to have lost bidders on the collectible auctions
I bid in. Nice stuff still brings stiff prices. The major way eBay loses
money would seem to be if fewer sellers place auctions, and that shouldn't
be a big concern to a bidder's pocketbook.

Old December 17th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
howard

Default Kinda off topic (free listings)

still a bit more off:
BEWARE of the " 5 FREE LISTINGS "

read the fine print.
8.5% all the way to a maximum of $20.00

do the math........see where the break even point is for listing price to
keep the max below the FVF.

do the math to see where the break even point is for the free listing vs./s
the FVF at regular fees

Old December 17th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"oly" wrote in message

Perhaps I myself am at a moment in my life where I think that I need

to lighten up on some of this junque, but based upon various
observations, I am not very hopeful about what some of it would
bring. So instead of wasting a Sunday at the flea market, I just
tighten my belt in other areas and hold on to the stuff.

oly

But have you calculated the future time value of the money you would get
now, compared to a potential future selling price? :-)

I have about five times more old stuff lying around than any sane person
ought to have. Sometimes I'm half-tempted to pay someone just to haul it
away. But then greed kicks in and I figure "Someday I'll get around to
selling it." I guess it comes from being old enough to remember the time
when one dollar was a lot of money to have burning a hole in your jeans
pocket. $10 for some piece of old stuff still registers mentally as "big
money" and it would be criminal to give or throw that much away.

- mazorj the Tightwad

Old December 17th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

I just got an surprising hundred bucks on eBay for a slightly faded
1954 Orioles program for their first game in Baltimore after relocating
from St. Louis. I described it as "fair-good condition with slightly
rippled surface from earlier moisture exposure". Someone emailed me about
a feature he saw in my photos that indicated it wasn't a "first game"
program, but was in fact a later one used in 1954 against the same
opponent. I added that cautionary information to the auction early on
when one person had bid at $6.99 and I offered that bidder the option to
retract. Instead, I ended up with 28 watchers and a high bid of $100. A
few years ago I had the program at a local show and there was zero
interest in it. I've had unusually good luck selling on eBay.

Was that a local show for your current location? If so, given that it was
the Orioles that for decades blocked a replacement franchise for the
Washington Senators, you shouldn't have been surprised that area buyers
wouldn't touch Oriole memorabilia unless it was to burn it out in the
parking lot. :-D

On eBay you had a much better chance of reaching an Oriole fan or serious
MLB collector. The guy who advised you of the date discrepancy certainly
was one. Congratulations on the nice sale.

Old December 17th 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

Oh there still are a lot of serious Orioles fans here in the DC suburbs
after 30 years of the Orioles being the only game in town. Lots of baseball
fans here seem to be straddling the fence waiting to see if the Nationals
can put together a team that's worth watching. I guess at a sports show
some specific sports items can get lost in the mass of similar material,
like an individual coin at a coin show.

On eBay you had a much better chance of reaching an Oriole fan or serious
MLB collector. The guy who advised you of the date discrepancy certainly
was one. Congratulations on the nice sale.

Yeah, it's amazing how much exposure tyour stuff gets on eBay. Two weeks
before, I put up a ticket stub from the highest scoring NFL game ever-- a
1970's game between the Redskins and Giants. I happened to have gone to
that game (one of two NFL games I ever attended) and kept the stub all these
years. Some eBay bidder thought it was worth 70 bucks. Made my day!

Old December 17th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

Good grief! Nice. At those prices, I may start rummaging through my ju-
er, memorabilia too. Anyone want to buy a round, two-sided blue-on-white
foam-board decoration from Reagan's second inaugural ball emblazoned with
the presidential seal, etc.? I'm not parting with the credentials that got
me in, but the article is genuine. I was there and snagged one from the
ceiling hangers.

Or if that doesn't float your boat, how about a cheap plastic pen or
keychain with some sort of company logo? I'll let those go at bargain
prices. ;-)

So will that $70 buy you a seat at a Redskins game nowadays, if it's up in
the nosebleed sections?

Old December 18th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

Hey, you laugh. If I were you, I'd do an occasional search on eBay for that
company logo or "Reagan inaugural". You may be surprised. The irony of my
good luck was that I was supposed to be looking through my tons of various
collectibles for stuff I could get rid of to make more room. A program and
a ticket stub is a start, I guess.

So will that $70 buy you a seat at a Redskins game nowadays, if it's up in
the nosebleed sections?

The last Skins game I went to was that 1970's "$70 game". I like it better
watching from my sofa with the remote handy so I can switch to an old movie.
No $30 parking or $10 beer, either. They have been "sold out" for decades
with a long waiting list, if you can believe their claims, but there are
always tickets available. Lots of empty seats available lately, too.

kinda dead here isn't it? Eddie Brimer Juke Boxes 16 March 23rd 07 07:08 AM
one stargate kinda.... ~Drew Autographs 1 August 15th 06 02:52 AM
Kinda New dtf Coins 1 March 8th 06 11:42 PM
Kinda off-topic, kinda not. Chunk o' steel. A You Coins 1 February 22nd 05 11:36 AM
OT kinda George D Coins 11 November 20th 04 06:07 PM