"Fresh" Investment Grade Coins at Urbid

Old August 24th 03, 04:00 AM
Andy Martin

Default "Fresh" Investment Grade Coins at Urbid

There are some nice "Fresh" investment grade coins recently listed at Urbid.
Most have been off the market for some time. Below is a partial listing. If
you are looking for investment material, suggest you take a look.
1871 Dime Copper Pattern
$9850.00

1861 CSA Half Dollar
$9850.00

1875 Trade Dollar
$11750.00

1875 Trade Dollar Copper Trial
$22000.00

1880 Stella Aluminum Pattern
$150000.00

1798 S $1 LG Eagle
$10500.00

http://urbid-auction-site.com/cgi-bi...ion/auction.pl

Thanks for looking.
Andy

Old August 24th 03, 02:49 PM
JSTONE9352

I look forward to the day when the words "investment" and "coins" are
never again uttered in the same sentence.

That day will probably never come despite
all the evidence that the two words do not
go good together.
Old August 24th 03, 04:27 PM
Andy Martin

2 Mistakes!!
First should have said FA: prior to listiing and maybe should have said
material in lieu of coins.
Thanks for pointing out the mistake.

Old August 25th 03, 02:54 AM
Bob Peterson

I consider any one who puts the words "investment" and "coins" in the same
sentence to be a major scam artist. Coins are not, nor have they ever been
a good investment.

Old August 25th 03, 11:39 AM
Ira Stein

Bob Peterson writes:

I consider any one who puts the words "investment" and "coins" in the same
sentence to be a major scam artist. Coins are not, nor have they ever been
a good investment

Quite a bit harsh, don't you think, Bob? In the past year or two, many high
grade coins in most series have seen a 30-50% increase at the wholesale level
and some much more of an increase than that.

Still, unless one is quite astute and lucky to boot, coins should NOT be bought
as an investment vehicle, and that's one of the reasons I'm opposed to allowing
them in IRAs, Keoughs, and pension funds.

They can be volatile, too volatile to be considered a sound investment, but if
you buy top material, key dates in particular, certified by one of the majors,
you'll likely see a steady increase over a fairly long holding period.

They are, however, a storehouse of value, but I would never advertise them as
good invstments. They might be for certain series and dates, but by and large,
collect them for their beauty and/or historical significance, but don't bet the
farm on them!

Ira Stein
Old August 25th 03, 09:45 PM
Dai Lun

As a newbie coin collector but an oldie "collector", my opinion is
that something "collectible" is only worth what someone else is
willing to pay for it, regardless of its scarity, age, or uniqueness.

There is a wonderful allegory about collecting in the books that make
up "VENUS, INC: The Space Merchants and The Merchant's War." by Pohl,
Frederick and Kornbluth, C. M.

Dai Lun

"If I had 1,000,000 year old dinosaur turds for sale, what would they
be worth?"

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message ...
"Ira Stein" wrote in message
Bob Peterson writes:

I consider any one who puts the words "investment" and "coins" in the

same
sentence to be a major scam artist. Coins are not, nor have they ever

been
a good investment

As a matter of fact I do not consider it harsh at all. The fact that a few
coins have seen good gioans the last few years does not mean that they are a
good investment, since there is no way to tell what coins will tank and
which ones will increase in value. Since most of the coin market is
manipulated by a few big dealers it is generally rigged against any but the
most astute or those involved.

Old August 25th 03, 10:17 PM
Bob Flaminio

Dai Lun wrote:
"If I had 1,000,000 year old dinosaur turds for sale, what would they
be worth?"

If they were verifiably dinosaurs and verifiably one millions years old,
they'd be worth a lot, as they would turn science on its ear.

"Normal" dinosaur turds (the ones that are greater than 65 million years
old) are actually rather common, and not particularly valuable. (Google
on "coprolites" if you want more info.)

--
Bob

Old August 25th 03, 11:41 PM
Stujoe

In article , JSTONE9352
spoke thusly...
Dai Lun wrote:
"If I had 1,000,000 year old dinosaur turds for sale, what would they
be worth?"

Didn't a T. Rex dinosaur skeleton sell
not too long ago for $2 million or something like that?

I remember hearing something about that but I don't think the price
included the turds.

--
Stu Miller
Coins in the News - Coin Newspaper (Updated Daily):
Old August 26th 03, 12:27 AM
A.Gent

"Stujoe" wrote in message
In article , JSTONE9352
spoke thusly...
Dai Lun wrote:
"If I had 1,000,000 year old dinosaur turds for sale, what would they
be worth?"

Didn't a T. Rex dinosaur skeleton sell
not too long ago for $2 million or something like that?

I remember hearing something about that but I don't think the price
included the turds.

Certified by you-know-who?
What grade?

(sorry - couldn't resist)