Leeward Islands confusion

Old February 22nd 04, 03:49 PM
Dave

Default Leeward Islands confusion

Here's a question and due to Scott catalog confusing listing, I must ask the
group. Perhaps someone with a Stanley Gibbons catalog that covers Leeward
Islands has a better reference.
I have 1d King George V definitive stamps (Scott type A5). Both
distinctly have the multiple crown & scrpt CA watermark (wmk 4). One has
the value tablet with shading and outlined numeral. The other has no
shading and solid colour number. Going by Scott's description they should
both be Scott # 63. Obviously since the design is different, they cannot.
Anyone know what gives here? Is Scott in error or is one stamp and
error (or something else?)?

Dave (Scott is why I use NC Yang for Hong Kong)

Old February 22nd 04, 06:43 PM
Eric Bustad

Dave wrote:

Here's a question and due to Scott catalog confusing listing, I must ask the
group. Perhaps someone with a Stanley Gibbons catalog that covers Leeward
Islands has a better reference.
I have 1d King George V definitive stamps (Scott type A5). Both
distinctly have the multiple crown & scrpt CA watermark (wmk 4). One has
the value tablet with shading and outlined numeral. The other has no
shading and solid colour number. Going by Scott's description they should
both be Scott # 63. Obviously since the design is different, they cannot.
Anyone know what gives here? Is Scott in error or is one stamp and
error (or something else?)?

SG (1994 Commonwealth) seems to indicate that the 1p value only comes
with the shading and outlined numeral. The tablet with no shading and a
solid color numeral is used for some of the other values, but not the
1p. Both Scott and SG refer to two different die types, but those
differ in parts of the design other than the value tablets.

= Eric

Old February 23rd 04, 03:03 AM
Dave

In that case, I have a very odd 1p with the solid numeral in the value
tablet. It is the only one of this type I have (a total of six ot the other
cataloged variety).
I shall have to find a spot to post it for all to view. I rechecked
the watermark again with same results.
Dave
Thanks Eric!

Old February 23rd 04, 12:03 PM
Brian Ridout

Dave wrote:

[...]

All the 1d values should have the shaded tablet - (The 1 1/2 d Red has unshaded Tablet and solid colour )

Brian
Old February 23rd 04, 03:29 PM
Dave

Oh my face is red now having not seen the 1/2 which was obscured quite
well by the cancel. :-(
Dave

Old February 24th 04, 12:37 AM
Chris Doran

"Dave" wrote in message . ..
Oh my face is red now having not seen the 1/2 which was obscured quite
well by the cancel. :-(
Dave

It really is enormously comforting to know that I'm not the only one
who drops clangers of this magnitude in public.

Chris
Old February 24th 04, 12:57 AM
Rodney

| It really is enormously comforting to know that I'm not the only one
| who drops clangers of this magnitude in public.
| Chris

To err, is human.
A lot of really nice people avoid posting on newsgroups
in case their query appears frivolous or to their mind, stupid.
What a waste of talent.

I am always reminded of John Cleese in a "Fish called Wanda"
when, besotted by a beautiful woman, drove off in his Jaguar
leaving his briefcase on the roof of the car. What a hoot!

Bring on the clangers! I say.