$100 Bills

Old August 8th 11, 01:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

Default $100 Bills

A recent NN article claims that the BEP printed more $100 bills that
$1's last year, and asked for reader opinions on whether they used $100
bills more now than in the past. The responses selected for print were
about 50-50 yes and no. Personally, even though $100 isn't what it once
was, the stigma of the $100 bill has remained the same-- a denomination that
I would be reluctant to carry or present to a store clerk. I would have no
qualms about carrying five Twenties in my wallet, but a Hundred seems like a
totally different animal. Maybe it's just because I'm a senior and most
younger people wouldn't feel that way at all. I also still feel
uncomfortable about carrying or spending Fifties. Anytime I expect to spend
more than a hundred dollars at a restaurant or store I would always use
plastic. Never carry a wad of cash.

If you do use $100 bills often, do you do so to have less paper in your
wallet? Is it because you don't like to use plastic? Are there
circumstances where you won't use a Hundred?

Old August 10th 11, 12:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sterrys@ no.spam.sbcglobal.net

On 8-Aug-2011, "Bremick" wrote:

If you do use $100 bills often, do you do so to have less paper in your
wallet? Is it because you don't like to use plastic? Are there
circumstances where you won't use a Hundred?

Yes, less paper. I carry around a certain amount, just in case I stop by an
antique store, coin store, gun store etc. And use one when the cost is
$60-70. or higher. Also have a stash that I load up with for coin and gun
shows where checks and credit cards are sneered at. Would not offer a
hundred for a small purchase.
Old August 11th 11, 04:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Aug 8, 8:57*am, "Bremick" wrote:
[...]

I have no qualms about using a $100 bill one way or the other. I use
it if I have it, but I don't concern myself with it. $100 is $100, be
it a single bill or 100 singles, Ikes, Suzies, Sacs, Presibuz, or
combination thereof.

Jerry
Old August 13th 11, 03:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
howard

In the 1970's when I was a "wholesaler" and buying for re-sale, a stack of
"C" notes talked very loudly.
I would go to my supplier and fan out on his desk 20 to 30 of them, and
negotiate a "one time price".
Just as reminder, in the 70's a "C" note was somewhat impressive!
Now, it gets a "conventional car" a full tank of gas, and maybe lunch
afterwards.

Old August 13th 11, 07:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

I have been going to Jamaica for vacations since 1974, when the
exchange rate was 88¢ Jamaican to $1 US. Shortly thereafter they
floated their currency, and the exchange rate went to $1.25 Jamaican
to $1.00 US. At the time the largest Jamaican bill was $10, but you
could find better deals on the black market. I got 2:1 for $100 bills,
but much less for $20 and $50. My most recent trip in December the
exchange rate was 80:1 and $5,000 Jamaican bills were fairly common. I
have heard that they also have a $10,000 bill but haven't seen one. I
use a Jamaican $100 bill as a bookmark...cheaper than buying one!
Old August 13th 11, 07:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Oh, I should also mention that I had a problem exchanging the 'old'
$100 US bills in Ireland, they weren't accepting them, only the ones
with the large Franklin portrait for exchange. Guess they were worried
about counterfeits.
Old August 14th 11, 04:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Aug 13, 2:12*pm, Jud wrote:
Oh, I should also mention that I had a problem exchanging the 'old'
$100 US bills in Ireland, they weren't accepting them, only the ones
with the large Franklin portrait for exchange. Guess they were worried
about counterfeits.

I don't think counterfeits as much as devaluing. Some locales don't
realize that all U.S. coins and currency ever struck/printed are still
worth their face value. Though we all have probably seen and used US
Notes (red seals), silver certificates (blue seals), Federal reserve
notes (green seals of various shades), $2 bills, all of practically
every design ever used since 1934, WE know they're still worth face.
But some people in countries that have discontinued or devalued
currency (like in Ireland) may not know.

And FWIW, I still occasionally get small portrait bills from the local
banks.

Jerry