My opinions on my new sub-$50 pen purchases - Rotring Core & Lamy Safari

Old October 28th 04, 10:38 PM
Stephen G

Default My opinions on my new sub-$50 pen purchases - Rotring Core & Lamy Safari

Hello,

Over the last few weeks I have acquired a couple of Rotring Cores and
a Lamy Safari, all with fine nibs. I'm trying to find a pen which
writes as well as my favorite FP so far, a Levenger Prima with a
Medium Schmidt nib.

So I loaded up the Rotring Cores with Levenger Sky Blue and Levenger
Smokey Grey. They are far too wet for my taste and the point isn't as
fine as most of the other fine point pens I have seen. Also, as
mentioned in multiple posts here, the grip is quite odd and the pens
have a strange center of gravity. This is especially true in you have
the cap on the end of the barrel. Even so, they look really cool and
I'm going to use them for note taking at work.

My Lamy Safari came today and I was quickly impressed by its size and
feel. I loaded it up, via converter, with Levenger Sky Blue and wrote
out some test lines. The nib is exactly the size I was hoping it would
be, and the flexibilty is much more stiff than the core's. I guess my
only complaint so far was my fear of staining the plastic when I
filled the pen from the ink well. It seemed to wipe off pretty easy.

To sum up, I'm pretty happy with my purchases but I wish I would have
gotten 2 Safaris and 1 Core, instead of the other way around. Either
way, I have more than enough pens and ink to keep me writing for a
while longer.

Stephen
Old October 29th 04, 01:02 AM
so what

Either
way, I have more than enough pens and ink

MWAHAHAHAHA~!!

Ok, nobody say a word. Let him keep thinking that!
Old October 29th 04, 05:02 PM
DovR

Stephen, try the vintage route. Parker 51's can be found at affordable
prices. Check out here, www.pentrace.com the green board , and zoss
list.

You cannot lump all f/p's into your Core and Lamy experience. Lamy's are
good, I use but they are pensd built by engineers for engineers. No
flex. You want modern flex, try Namiki Falcon but it cabn reach a 100 or
so. I suggest the old time waterman's 52 in black hard rubber or the
more desirable reds Can also be found at decent prices.

om...

Old October 29th 04, 11:44 PM
svejk

To sum up, I'm pretty happy with my purchases but I wish I would have
gotten 2 Safaris and 1 Core, instead of the other way around. Either
way, I have more than enough pens and ink to keep me writing for a
while longer.

Stephen

I do not understand, what is this "enough pens" you speak of?
Old October 30th 04, 09:02 PM
Jimmy Tom

Hi Stephen Gee,

The Levenger Skies of Blue is one of the wettest inks I've written with
(with old formula Yard-o-Led Blue / Diamine Tropical Blue being a close
second -- and but I love the colour of all of these so much that I put up
with the wetness!). You may want to try with a less-wet ink and see how it
goes. W'man Florida Blue is a safe bet. I don't have any experience with
Levenger Smokey Grey, although I have a bottle of it somewhere, packed away.

I do konw what you mean about the weird handling and centre of gravity of
the Cores though. I find that I can't write with mine for very long. |

Cheers,
Jimmy.

Old November 1st 04, 07:38 AM
Free Citizen

"DovR" tadir@removeNOSPAM actcom.co.il wrote in message

[snip]

You cannot lump all f/p's into your Core and Lamy experience. Lamy's are
good, I use but they are pensd built by engineers for engineers.

How did you come to htis conclusion?

No
flex.

I can't agree on this one. My Lamy Accent has a small degree of flex. And it
is just as pleasant to write as my Sheaffer Balance.

[snip]

--
Best regards,
T-H Lim

purchases; mail dahoov2 Autographs 3 October 20th 04 02:32 PM
Opinions on Retro 51 Tornado FP Cuba Pens & Pencils 0 September 1st 04 04:35 PM
Seeburg R verses Rockola 1448 - Opinions wanted Fred Juke Boxes 3 August 9th 04 09:04 PM
Dealers? Opinions on models? (I've narrowed it down, I think) derPrediger Pens & Pencils 1 May 1st 04 02:55 PM
Seeburg USC2 Firestar Jukebox - Value / Opinions Fred Juke Boxes 10 December 16th 03 03:28 PM