TV Coins

Old February 8th 05, 03:33 AM

Default TV Coins

Old February 8th 05, 02:45 PM
Jerry Dennis

"MarGarr" writes:

Are The Prices On TV's "Coin Vault" About Right?

As the others have said, their prices are high, sometimes a little, most of the
time a lot. The same with the Coin Collector show on HSN. The sad part is
that if you're looking for something really "unusual," or not readily found
elsewhere, they may be the only source. Did anyone else catch the box of 1,000
unopened 1955 proof sets last Saturday? If you wanted one immediately you'll
be paying a lot for it. But with 1,000 sets now in the market, the price
should go down. Therefore, if you bought one Saturday, you paid WAY too much.

They Seem To Sell Tons Of Stuff.

That would depend on your perspective. Most of what they sell goes to people
who either are too lazy to look around and find what they want elsewhere, or to
people who aren't collectors and want to find something "nice" for someone who
is a collector.

One thing to take note of is how they tell you how many of a certain item they
have. I love it when they say, "We only have less than two per State." They
could just as easily say, "We've got less than 100." It's all sales hype.

One thing that bothers me is when they start hyping the junk. Thankfully, I
haven't seen anything colorized for a few years, but they still push gold- and
platinum-plated quarters.

As Steve said, I also watch it to see what's available and how the trends of
the hobby are going.

Jerry

Old February 8th 05, 05:26 PM
Shystev99

One thing to take note of is how they tell you how many of a certain
item they
have. I love it when they say, "We only have less than two per

State." They
could just as easily say, "We've got less than 100." It's all sales

hype.

One thing that bothers me is when they start hyping the junk.

Thankfully, I
haven't seen anything colorized for a few years, but they still push

gold- and
platinum-plated quarters.

As Steve said, I also watch it to see what's available and how the

trends of
the hobby are going.

Jerry

I've always laughed when I've heard that "1 Per State" sales tactic to.
Gives me an image of some poor shmuck sitting on their couch suddenly
jumping off of their sofa and shouting " 1 PER STATE!!!! IF I CALL
RIGHT NOW I'LL BE THE ONLY ONE IN MY STATE TO OWN ONE OF THESE, IT'LL
SURELY BE VALUEABLE THEN!!!!"

As for hyping the junk, There are a few other shows that thrive off
that kind of stuff, Altered, colored, layred, 2 toned metals etc... In
another thread a few days ago we were discussing maybe they need to
write some laws that make it illegal to sell repro and copy coins of
already minted coins, Maybe they also need a law that would REQUIRE
these TV shows to say if the coins they are selling have been altered
in any way, shape or form as they sell them. I'm not saying there is
anything wrong with buying altered coins, Some of them look cool and
they are kind of a fun addition to your set if that's what you like. I
have a few myself just for the fun of having them. But buyers should
know that an altered coin will always be worth less than an unaltered
coin in some areas of the hobby.
I've always thought any show selling altered coins should be required
to have the words "Altered Coin!!!" flashing on the TV screen as they
sell them.
Steve

Old February 8th 05, 10:48 PM
linxlvr

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:33:30 -0800, MarGarr wrote:

Are The Prices On TV's "Coin Vault"
About Right?

NO!
--
DW

Old February 9th 05, 05:39 AM
Frank Provasek

Actually, Coin Vault, Littleton, etc prices are reasonable compared to the
retail markups on other items...The belief that anyone asking more than
5% UNDER greysheet is a crook keeps coin collecting on "poverty row"
compared to the popularity of antiques, art and other collectibles of
comparable or even LESSER rarity.

Old February 9th 05, 10:20 PM
linxlvr

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 05:39:43 +0000, Frank Provasek wrote:

Actually, Coin Vault, Littleton, etc prices are reasonable compared to the
retail markups on other items...The belief that anyone asking more than
5% UNDER greysheet is a crook keeps coin collecting on "poverty row"
compared to the popularity of antiques, art and other collectibles of
comparable or even LESSER rarity.

Frank, your totally correct. However, and only in limited amounts since it
would be a side job, I will send you the same stuff with a 5% discount and
free shipping. I would offer more of a discount, but I have to pay full
retail for the stuff to get it.

--
DW

Old February 9th 05, 10:33 PM
linxlvr

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:20:21 -0500, linxlvr wrote:

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 05:39:43 +0000, Frank Provasek wrote:

Actually, Coin Vault, Littleton, etc prices are reasonable compared to the
retail markups on other items...The belief that anyone asking more than
5% UNDER greysheet is a crook keeps coin collecting on "poverty row"
compared to the popularity of antiques, art and other collectibles of
comparable or even LESSER rarity.

Frank, your totally correct. However, and only in limited amounts since it
would be a side job, I will send you the same stuff with a 5% discount and
free shipping. I would offer more of a discount, but I have to pay full
retail for the stuff to get it.

AFTER thinking of all the idiots that higher lawyers nowadays, I thought I
would add, I AM KIDDING. I DO NOT HAVE THE TIME FOR A SIDE BUSINESS.

I just didn't know how to respond to the ludicrous statements pointed in
my direction, so I replied in sarcasm.

Anyone reading this that actually thinks... "Big names" let's say.. means
you won't pay too much, please consider calling a reputable LOCAL coin
dealer.

And Frank, obviously you have a lot more money than I when you call this
stuff poverty row. And if you check previous posts from me, I strongly
support dealers making a profit.

--
DW