Collecting Idea - Composer

Old February 6th 05, 05:52 PM
Jorg Lueke

Default Collecting Idea - Composer

I am always thinking about new, interesting, frugal sets I could put
together on the side. The problem tends to be with any set that one could
upgrade in terms of type, year, condition, etc. that it is easy to go from
a frugal to a rather expensive set. Nevertheless I have hit upon a new
idea that could be quite inexpensive to assemble.
First a short digression. Two small children, two cats, a dog, and my
lovely wife have superceded many of the thigs I used to do like video
games, staying out late, drinking, smoking, watching the Vikings choke and
more. In my compacting free time the largest block goes to coins,
followed by music and history. In history I have taken to reading about
people who did constructive things rather than the endless tales of
battles. Right now my subject de jure is composers. Hence, my idea of a
set of coins representing the work of the world's great composers. I
would limit this to orchestral/classical composers. I'm not overly fond
of jazz, and rock would generate a more boring mix of coins. That said
here is my first sketch

Antonio Vivaldi
1725 Venice
- not sure on coin
Vivaldi wrote the ubiquitous and was also intstrumental in the development
of the concerto form. He wasn't overly friendly or religious both of
which caused him some troubles and saw him travelling across Europe.

Johann Sebastian Bach
1725-1750 German States Saxony
- a variety of affordable coinage exists for the time period. Thalers for
the rich.
JS Bach is still a household name, The most famous compositions would
have to be the Brandenburg Concertos and the Goldberg variations. He
spent most of his productive time in Leipzig (Saxony) and was appointed to
the cort oin Dresden in 1736. His church music is extensive and his use
of counterpoint teaches children to this day.

Carl Phillip Emmanuel Bach
1766-1788 Hamburg
-Schilling, both plentiful and inexpensive
The younger Bach was music director in Hamburg from 1766-1788 but is
listed here primarily for this contributions in developing the modern
piano concerto. From his father through haydn until Mozart the dual
requirements of Harpsichord and Piano led to some interesting developments
in composition until the piano concerto asserted dominance by the time of
Mozart

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
1781-1791 Austria
-20 Kreuzer
The most famous of all composers and rightfully so. Mozart was a master
of every form of composition from chamber music, concertos, symphonies, to
opera and masses. The requiem, C Minor mass, Don Giovanni, Symphonies
35-41 are all universallyt known and amongst the best in their genre.

Ludwig Van Beethoven
1804-1827 (*targeting 1824) Autria Probably should make a case for earlier
coin from Bonn or Cologne to break up Austrian monopoly. Not sure what
state Bonnwas in in the late 1700's
-20 Kreuzer
Along with Mozart the most famous of composers. The nine symphonies, his
piano conertos, and string quartets are all masterpieces. Considering he
went deaf while still composing makes his accomplishments even more
meritorious.

Franz Schubert
1812-1828 Austria
-20 Kreuzer
Died extremely young but had insane facility in creating symphonies as
well as vocal works like Ave Maria

Johannes Brahms
1833-1862 Hamburg. Hamburg formed Brahms ion ways good and bad and while
he found his success in Vienna he was always influenced by his roots
strongly
-Schilling
A master composer of "pure" music culiminating in 4 wonderful symphonies
as well as a host of interesting Lieder. A surly fellow when it came to
friend and foe excepting mostly the Schumanns.

Well you get the drift...

I'd also include Haydn, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Gershwin, Dvorak,
Chopin, na dpossible Copeland and John Williams

I'd definitly leave out Bartok, Mahler, Prokofiev, and Schumann

I don't know enogh about Mendelsohn and Bruckner

I'm sure there are many others :-)

--
Jorg Lueke ANA 197036, ANS 11206, CSNS, ACCG, TCACC , CWTS
The Numismatist 1888-1893 http://www.ancientcoinvalues.com/25.phtml
Old February 6th 05, 06:40 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Jorg Lueke wrote:

Ludwig Van Beethoven
1804-1827 (*targeting 1824) Autria Probably should make a case for earlier
coin from Bonn or Cologne to break up Austrian monopoly. Not sure what
state Bonnwas in in the late 1700's

An interesting project :-) Don't know much about coins from those
years, but Bonn was at that time part of the Kurfürstentum Köln, ie. the
Electorate of Cologne (note that Cologne itself was not part of that
electorate but a free city). In 1794 the French revolutionary forces
occupied the city of Bonn, which basically turned Beethoven's
educational stay in Vienna into a permanent residence there.

Christian

Old February 6th 05, 09:58 PM
Jorg Lueke

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 19:40:01 +0100, Christian Feldhaus
wrote:

Jorg Lueke wrote:

Ludwig Van Beethoven
1804-1827 (*targeting 1824) Autria Probably should make a case for
earlier
coin from Bonn or Cologne to break up Austrian monopoly. Not sure what
state Bonnwas in in the late 1700's

An interesting project :-) Don't know much about coins from those
years, but Bonn was at that time part of the Kurfürstentum Köln, ie. the
Electorate of Cologne (note that Cologne itself was not part of that
electorate but a free city). In 1794 the French revolutionary forces
occupied the city of Bonn, which basically turned Beethoven's
educational stay in Vienna into a permanent residence there.

Christian

Also die Freistadt Koln. I think a 1792 4 Heller would work pretty well
being close in time and place to his first public concert and the
composition of Opus #1. Oder vielleicht ein Brodt Pfennig?
Old February 6th 05, 09:58 PM
Jorg Lueke

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:05:46 -0500, Dave C. wrote:

Eminem...

If you haven't composed for oboe you're out.
Old February 7th 05, 12:21 AM
James Higby

"Jorg Lueke" wrote in message
news
[...]

Aw, come on, Jorg, Schumann wrote some great stuff. Ever listen to his
Konzertstück for horns and orchestra? Also, try the "Troika" movement from
Prokofiev's "Lieutenant Kije" suite.

I don't know enogh about Mendelsohn and Bruckner

Mendelssohn wrote several symphonies, the best of which, in my opinion, was
the "Reformation." He also wrote the most haunting concert overture of all
time, "The Hebrides," a/k/a "Fingal's Cave." If you ever watched the Warner
Bros. cartoon that had a black bird hopping along behind a little aborigine
kid, you've listened to Fingal's Cave. Great stuff, again, IMHO.

James
'a-one and a-two'

Old February 7th 05, 02:04 AM
John Baumgart

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote in message

"Jorg Lueke" wrote in message
news
I'd also include Haydn, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Gershwin, Dvorak,
Chopin, na dpossible Copeland and John Williams

I'd definitly leave out Bartok, Mahler, Prokofiev, and Schumann

Aw, come on, Jorg, Schumann wrote some great stuff. Ever listen to his
Konzertstück for horns and orchestra?

!!! Awesome piece! If you think it's fun to listen to, it's even more fun
to play!

John Baumgart

Old February 7th 05, 02:54 AM
John Baumgart

"Jorg Lueke" wrote in message
news
I am always thinking about new, interesting, frugal sets I could put
together on the side.

I'd also include Haydn, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Gershwin, Dvorak,
Chopin, na dpossible Copeland and John Williams

I'd definitly leave out Bartok, Mahler, Prokofiev, and Schumann

I don't know enogh about Mendelsohn and Bruckner

I'm sure there are many others :-)

Dietrich Buxtehude was J.S. Bach's teacher in Luebeck at the end of the 17th
century. Please don't leave out Richard Strauss. To branch out from
Germany/Austria/Italy, how about Edvard Grieg (Norway 1843-1907), Jean
Sibelius (Finland 1865-1957), Manuel de Falla (Spain 1876-1946), Edward
Elgar (England 1857-1934), Carl Nielsen (Denmark 1865-1931), Claude Debussy
(France 1862-1918), Percy Grainger (Australia 1882-1961, although most
composing was done in UK and US), Carlos Chavez (Mexico 1899-1978). If you
want some older stuff, there's Giovanni Gabrielli (Italy 1554-1612), Thomas
Tallis (England 1505-1585). You could even include Henry VIII, but then I
think your set just got expensive.

I'm still trying to get over the list you're going to leave out, though.

John Baumgart

Old February 7th 05, 04:52 AM
Jorg Lueke

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 18:21:16 -0600, James Higby
heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote:

I'd also include Haydn, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Gershwin, Dvorak,
Chopin, na dpossible Copeland and John Williams

I'd definitly leave out Bartok, Mahler, Prokofiev, and Schumann

Aw, come on, Jorg, Schumann wrote some great stuff. Ever listen to his
Konzertstück for horns and orchestra? Also, try the "Troika" movement
from
Prokofiev's "Lieutenant Kije" suite.

Schumann is O.K., but it's not about isolated pieces but more an overall
perspective. Schumann is no Brahms for orchestral works and no Listz as
far as piano or just plain fun things. I have listened to the whole
Lieutenant Kije and much more and Prokofiev does not do it for me.

I don't know enogh about Mendelsohn and Bruckner

Mendelssohn wrote several symphonies, the best of which, in my opinion,
was
the "Reformation." He also wrote the most haunting concert overture of
all
time, "The Hebrides," a/k/a "Fingal's Cave." If you ever watched the
Warner
Bros. cartoon that had a black bird hopping along behind a little
aborigine
kid, you've listened to Fingal's Cave. Great stuff, again, IMHO.

I just haven't had the time for Mendelsohn, someday I'll give him a
thorough listen. Same with Stravinsky and Shostakovich.
Old February 7th 05, 04:57 AM
Jorg Lueke

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:54:07 -0600, John Baumgart
wrote:

"Jorg Lueke" wrote in message
news
[...]

Well the beauty is that the set can always grow. There's some opera
composers that would be worthy of consideration as well (Gluck, Verdi,
Wagner) I would definitly include Strauss, just for An der Schoenen Blauen
Donau. The other things are just not things I've heard enough of. It's
hard to get away from the big guns so I usually try to rotate some new
things in every so often but I can go months just listening to Mozart and
Beethoven. Right now I am on a big Schubert kick.