Questions about Canadian 1948 cent

Old September 3rd 04, 03:21 PM
J. A. M.

"A. Roy" wrote:

I have several questions about a Canadian penny (or 'cent', if you prefer)
I acquired recently. It's a 1948 that had been taped to cardboard probably
since the 50s. The first, and most obvious question is how do I take off
the tape residue? But there's more.

The coin is blazing red with only the odd tiny carbon spot (is that the
correct term?). I suspect that it was lacquered. It also seem to have
unusually smooth and flat fields, and a cameo on George's portrait. Is
there a way for me to determine if it's a specimen? Did the Royal Canadian
Mint typically lacquer specimen bronze and brass coins? Would the
protective layer of lacquer be removed or disturbed when removing the tape?

Unmunge the address if you want to contact me directly.

Thanks

--
See ya ...
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Did you ask this question here?

http://www.canadiancoin.com/index2.htm

The discussion board on this site is excellent!

JAM
Old September 8th 04, 03:45 AM
Steve Teagan

I use fingernail polish remover on circulated coins. It will leave unc.
silver with a wiped look.

Steve

Old September 8th 04, 02:23 PM
Jerry Dennis

Not good. Even though fingernail polish remover is basically acetone, it
contains other chemicals which can damage coins. If you need to dip a coin,
use real acetone, available at your local hardware or paint supply store.

Jerry
Buys acetone by the gallon.

Old September 9th 04, 02:52 PM
Jerry Dennis

I can't speak from experience about dipping, only what others here have said in
the past about it. Having said that, the acetone should not affect toning or
luster. It will start to disolve the lacquer if the coin is left in long
enough (I speak from work experience on this). If the coin is lacquered,
though, it's already been damaged. Anyone else care to comment (please)?

Jerry

"Alan Roy" writes:

Hello, Jerry Dennis!
You wrote:

Not good. Even though fingernail polish remover is basically acetone, it
contains other chemicals which can damage coins. If you need to dip a

coin,
use real acetone, available at your local hardware or paint supply store.

But will this affect the coin's finish? I don't want to use something that
would tone the coin. And what about the lacquer? Will it be affected by
acetone?

Old September 10th 04, 01:50 PM
Jerry Dennis

Depending on how thick the coat of lacquer is, it may cloud up, but more likely
(and eventually) it will start to dissolve and peel away. To remove the
lacquer, place the coin in the acetone for a few seconds, rinse with distilled
water and check the coin. Chances are you'll have to repeat this process a few
times and increase the dipping time. Eventually, with patience, you should be
able to remove all of the lacquer without damaging the coin.

Jerry

"Al Roy" writes:

Thanks for the info. Your comment that acetone will "start to disolve the
lacquer" concerns me. Will this mean the lacquer will cloud up?