AMI 'F' cabinet finish???

Old July 6th 03, 05:18 AM
Philip Nasadowski

Default AMI 'F' cabinet finish???

Ok, I've got a cute AMI F-120, and I wanna get the cabinet finished to
the origional, correct textured spatter finish. Mine was the off white
tannish color origionally. Anyone ever do one of these over and have
any pointers as to where to find the paint? I've LOVE to have that
origional texture + spatters reproduced as close as possible (I like it
better than the red that's on it now - but the door wasn't painted so I
can see the origional finish on it)...

Thanks!
--
To email me, chage 'usermale' to 'usermail'.
Old July 7th 03, 12:27 AM
Dennis Lavin

Philip Nasadowski wrote in message ...
Ok, I've got a cute AMI F-120, and I wanna get the cabinet finished to
the origional, correct textured spatter finish. Mine was the off white
tannish color origionally. Anyone ever do one of these over and have
any pointers as to where to find the paint? I've LOVE to have that
origional texture + spatters reproduced as close as possible (I like it
better than the red that's on it now - but the door wasn't painted so I
can see the origional finish on it)...

Thanks!

HI Phillip, I also have a red "F" and a green "E" ami juke. I have
been looking for about a year to get the original style paint for the
red AMI " F"

I talked to several commerical paint distribuitors, and some others
in the old juke bussness. They tell me there is no longet any "off the
shelf" paint for the crinkle finish. I bought a couple of cans of
spray "hammertone" style paint, I am going to practice on a peice of
plywood to see how close the finish is.

I also want to get as close as original finish for my juke.

I was also told that on the 1953 "E" 120 that is in green woodgrain
style, that this was "silk screened" on the wood. I think that is why
I see so many "E" jukes refinished in varnish/stain.

Mabe someone else has had some luck painting them ??

Hope this help some,Dennis.
Old July 7th 03, 05:59 AM
Don Lanway

I was also told that on the 1953 "E" 120 that is in green woodgrain
style, that this was "silk screened" on the wood. I think that is why
I see so many "E" jukes refinished in varnish/stain.

I have an "E" cabinet... it is my belief that the woodgrain was wood colored
originally....

The green is from all those years of fading...

One of you really old guys correct me if I'm wrong, lol

Don

---

Old July 7th 03, 02:15 PM
AH#49

Philip Nasadowski wrote:

Ok, I've got a cute AMI F-120, and I wanna get the cabinet finished to
the origional, correct textured spatter finish. Mine was the off white
tannish color origionally. Anyone ever do one of these over and have
any pointers as to where to find the paint? I've LOVE to have that
origional texture + spatters reproduced as close as possible (I like it
better than the red that's on it now - but the door wasn't painted so I
can see the origional finish on it)...

Thanks!

You beat me to it, Phil.
I posted the following in news:alt.coatings.paint and was referred to
this newsgroup.

A friend of mine in NY restores Juke boxes and other electronic
amusement things and came to me for help it getting it repainted.
Problem is, I wasn't much help.
The "color" which is on a wood cabinet, is a very light pale yellow
(faded, yellow white?) with what looks like two extra color flakes
thrown in.
Black and red.
It's also slightly textured from what I could see from the tiny chip
he brought for me to look at.
My first guess would have been Zolatone, or some kind of trunk spatter
paint, but the Black and red "flakes" in the paint are small and
differently shaped, random odd sized with sharp edges, like it was
ground up dried stuff, and not the rounded globules that Zolatone is.

The machine was made in the 50's by a company called AMI.

Any ideas regarding who else makes these multi colored coatings?

Thank you all in advance.
Old July 7th 03, 02:51 PM
Dirt poor John

I've tried many techniques with some good and some not so good results.
Automotive trunk spray makes a good textured base, so does the "stone" spray
cans, but both are messy to spray, it'll cover anything in sight, and needs
several days to dry, than you can coat with your favorite color, than
splatter
on a little contrasting color flecks, and top coat with clear.

I have used a stiff brisseled (sp?)paint brush with a tiny bit of paint to
do the "splatter effect" it's kind of hard to describe, but, I hold the
brush in one hand and smack it in the palm of the other hand which throws
the paint at the cabinet, practice this first.
I add a tiny amount of gold spray paint by standing back 4 or 5 feet away
and give it a fast dusting, not too much at all!

Just remember if you build up base, texture, base and finish coats, if it
gets damaged in any way, you'll have a helava time matching
the repair. I now use a latex eggshell base
applied with a roller, and clear coat with
gloss lacquer..... simple to do, has texture and looks good.

Have fun!
John