Researchers: eBay evening ending gets lower return; Rep % matters, total does not

Old July 31st 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PossumTrot

Default Researchers: eBay evening ending gets lower return; Rep % matters, total does not

What this excerpt does not say is if the study was limited to eBay in
Europe.

http://tinyurl.com/zp7bg

Old August 1st 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Randy Thompson

PossumTrot wrote:
What this excerpt does not say is if the study was limited to eBay in
Europe.

http://tinyurl.com/zp7bg

If I were selling any of those six DVDs then I would follow their
advice. I'm not convinced this study would extrapolate to all of ebay.

Feedback total is important if it is too low, say less than 50 or so.
I also am cautous of sellers with huge feedback numbers because they
are pushing mass product and are more likely to let something slip
through the cracks. Between those extreems, I agree, total feedback
doesn't really matter.

With coins, I don't think competition in the evenings is a factor,
except with generic common stuff like modern commems and bullion. Most
coins are unique enough they don't have a lot of direct competition on
any given day and they will find their own price.

Old August 1st 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob Hairgrove

On 1 Aug 2006 06:38:57 -0700, "Randy Thompson"
wrote:

PossumTrot wrote:
What this excerpt does not say is if the study was limited to eBay in
Europe.

http://tinyurl.com/zp7bg

If I were selling any of those six DVDs then I would follow their
advice. I'm not convinced this study would extrapolate to all of ebay.

Feedback total is important if it is too low, say less than 50 or so.
I also am cautous of sellers with huge feedback numbers because they
are pushing mass product and are more likely to let something slip
through the cracks. Between those extreems, I agree, total feedback
doesn't really matter.

With coins, I don't think competition in the evenings is a factor,
except with generic common stuff like modern commems and bullion. Most
coins are unique enough they don't have a lot of direct competition on
any given day and they will find their own price.

I'm with you here in what you say about FB numbers vs. percent. For a
seller with more than 10,000 total feedback, for example, even a score
of 99.6% means that there are dozens of neg's in there somewhere.

Sometimes I noticed that a disgruntled buyer will have left FB for
several articles of one seller, all neg's. Unfortunately, this can be
disastrous for a seller with low FB totals, percentage-wise. You can
view all negative FB at www.toolhaus.org -- I would first look at the
neg's to see what the issues were, whether they are recent (i.e. last
3-6 months as opposed to 3 years ago), and the nature of the FB. If I
see several neg's due to shipping cleaned or otherwise damaged coins,
or articles not received, red lights will go off in a jiffy. Also, any
neg's which make me think the seller is less than honest, regardless
of how old, will put me off.

Unfortunately, more and more sellers in Europe are using the standard
EU disclaimer WRT "private transaction" (German: Privatverkauf) which
gives you no return rights and no guarantees of any sort. Feedback
becomes very important in that case because it is the only means of
reclamation. Reputable sellers will, however, offer 7 to 14 day
money-back returns. I try to stick with those.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old August 1st 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

wrote:

Feedback total is important if it is too low, say less than 50 or so.
I also am cautous of sellers with huge feedback numbers because they
are pushing mass product and are more likely to let something slip
through the cracks.

I'm with you here in what you say about FB numbers vs. percent. For a
seller with more than 10,000 total feedback, for example, even a score
of 99.6% means that there are dozens of neg's in there somewhere.

True, that. I like reading the toolhaus version of the reports, because
you can tell a lot about someone by how they respond to those feedbacks,
and it makes it easy to pick them out. An abusive vulgar response to a
neg or neutral feedback? All I need to know, other people selling
bullion coins, byebye.

Sometimes I noticed that a disgruntled buyer will have left FB for
several articles of one seller, all neg's. Unfortunately, this can be
disastrous for a seller with low FB totals, percentage-wise.

I don't think it works that way. I bought 17 items from an RCC'er last
week, we gave each other 17 positive feedbacks, but our counts only went
up by 1 each. Repeat buyers can't change the number I don't think.

Unfortunately, more and more sellers in Europe are using the standard
EU disclaimer WRT "private transaction" (German: Privatverkauf) which
gives you no return rights and no guarantees of any sort. Feedback
becomes very important in that case because it is the only means of
reclamation. Reputable sellers will, however, offer 7 to 14 day
money-back returns. I try to stick with those.

Yes. "as is no returns all sales final" doesn't give me a warm feeling.
It's one thing if we're talking a 1 ounce ingot of silver, something
entirely different for a couple hundred dollar coin.

Old August 1st 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On 1 Aug 2006 15:36:56 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Yes. "as is no returns all sales final" doesn't give me a warm feeling.
It's one thing if we're talking a 1 ounce ingot of silver, something
entirely different for a couple hundred dollar coin.

The postage costs have to be a part of the guarantee,
I don't ever offer a return policy, because most of the things
I have to sell are junk, worth less than the postage.

So if I were to have a problem, it would make
more sense to just refund the money and tell the
buyer to junk the item (but I DARE NOT put
that in writing, all buyers might complain). :-)

For instance, I mailed a package and had
the post office stamp it fragile and DO NOT BEND,
and they bent it.
As it happened, it was an item that was
more critical that it not be bent because it was
dry bonded to foam board.
The buyer confused the post office damage
as the same as a small defect I described on the
item, so I had to have it sent back, and paid
postage both ways, and refunded the money.
The post office tentatively agreed to refund
the final auction (closing price), but not the
postage either direction or the ebay or Paypal
fees.
And the present postage rates makes it
even more absurd, any problem, even with
usps insurance is a major loss for the seller.

For high dollar items, _REGISTERED_
mail is the only thing that makes any sense at all,
especially for many, many hard to find coins,
as there are coins that do not come up for sale
very often.

Registered mail almost _assures_ delivery,
unless there is a plane crash, truck or train fire.

Joe Fischer

Old August 1st 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:07:13 -0400, Joe Fischer wrote:
On 1 Aug 2006 15:36:56 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Yes. "as is no returns all sales final" doesn't give me a warm feeling.
It's one thing if we're talking a 1 ounce ingot of silver, something
entirely different for a couple hundred dollar coin.

The postage costs have to be a part of the guarantee,
I don't ever offer a return policy, because most of the things
I have to sell are junk, worth less than the postage.

Yeah, a good seller will refund postage costs both ways as well.

So if I were to have a problem, it would make
more sense to just refund the money and tell the
buyer to junk the item (but I DARE NOT put
that in writing, all buyers might complain). :-)

Yup. Good thinking (on both sides).

For instance, I mailed a package and had
the post office stamp it fragile and DO NOT BEND,
and they bent it.
As it happened, it was an item that was
more critical that it not be bent because it was
dry bonded to foam board.
The buyer confused the post office damage
as the same as a small defect I described on the
item, so I had to have it sent back, and paid
postage both ways, and refunded the money.
The post office tentatively agreed to refund
the final auction (closing price), but not the
postage either direction or the ebay or Paypal
fees.

Was it insured? How did that work? Because let's say I sell a gold
coin worth, today, 580 bucks. Gold goes up 20 bucks. Seems to me I
have to replace the coin _today_, not at last week's price. So I'm out
600 bucks, not 580. I'd claim it as a $600.00 loss plus paypal and
shipping costs. Are you saying they don't work it that way?

Registered mail almost _assures_ delivery,
unless there is a plane crash, truck or train fire.

Did we ever find out where Wes's half dollars had been all that time?

Old August 1st 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob Hairgrove

On 1 Aug 2006 16:15:25 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

I've had registered mail (a) not be delivered, in spite of the
tracking number; (b) coin stolen from the envelope, resealed, and the
empty envelope delivered. It happens more than you would think.

Now, when signing for an item at he PO, I don't leave the counter
until I am sure the envelope hasn't been tampered with.

Did we ever find out where Wes's half dollars had been all that time?

You mean the ones he sent to ANACS? I remember reading here on RCC
some time ago that ANACS had eventually found them in a box they had
moved from Ohio to Texas and misplaced. Wes, please correct me if I am
wrong!

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old August 1st 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On Tue, 01 wrote:
The post office tentatively agreed to refund
the final auction (closing price), but not the
postage either direction or the ebay or Paypal
fees.

Was it insured? How did that work? Because let's say I sell a gold
coin worth, today, 580 bucks. Gold goes up 20 bucks. Seems to me I
have to replace the coin _today_, not at last week's price. So I'm out
600 bucks, not 580. I'd claim it as a $600.00 loss plus paypal and
shipping costs. Are you saying they don't work it that way?

Probably not, not only would they probably NOT
pay what you list on the claim, they would want to either
see documentation of the sale price, less postage and
insurance fees, or even more likely if you are a dealer,
they might want documentation of the wholesale value,
or even the receipt to show how much you paid for it.

But then surely a $20 gold would surely be sent
by Registered mail, which has a different insurance
policy and rates.

And with all the would-be snipe-ers on ebay,
if you started it at 99 cents and no reserve, the usps
postal insurance would not be worth the paper the
receipt is printed on.

Joe Fischer

Old August 1st 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On Tue, Bob Hairgrove wrote:

I've had registered mail (a) not be delivered, in spite of the
tracking number;

Do you mean a "Registered" number or delivery
confirmation, the US Postal Service does not offer
"tracking", any web site that infers that is wrong,
but the "Registered" mail number can be tracked,
because every person handling the special bag has
to sign the document that goes with it.

Every single delivery confirmation number
emailed to me by senders who call it a tracking
number _NEVER_ gets scanned until I pick
it up, and if it is near closing time, the clerk
may not run the modem to send the data in
until the next working day.

(b) coin stolen from the envelope, resealed, and the
empty envelope delivered. It happens more than you would think.

Now, when signing for an item at he PO, I don't leave the counter
until I am sure the envelope hasn't been tampered with.

If that happened to Registered Mail, somebody
would lose their job and maybe go to jail.

Joe Fischer

Old August 1st 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob Hairgrove

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:44:29 -0400, Joe Fischer
wrote:

I've had registered mail (a) not be delivered, in spite of the
tracking number;

Do you mean a "Registered" number or delivery
confirmation, the US Postal Service does not offer
"tracking", any web site that infers that is wrong,
but the "Registered" mail number can be tracked,
because every person handling the special bag has
to sign the document that goes with it.

The German and Swiss postal authorities both do issue tracking numbers
for registered mail which are updated within an hour or two on the web
sites of the respective postal authorities. Whoever sends the mail
gets the number; once the number is entered into the system, anyone
who has the number can track its progress on the internet.

In both of the above cases, the items were being sent to me from
Germany to Switzerland via registered mail (LSI, as they call it).

--
Bob Hairgrove