scanning coins

Old April 9th 04, 06:43 AM
Winde Walker

Default scanning coins

If you scan your coins for showing on the web I would like to know;

What dpi do you use?

What depth of color do you use?

What resolution do you use?

Hmmm, What tips would you have for me to make my pictures the best I can
for your viewing enjoyment?

Winde
'making a webpage'
Old April 9th 04, 10:06 AM
A.Gent

"Winde Walker" wrote in message
If you scan your coins for showing on the web I would like to know;

What dpi do you use?

What depth of color do you use?

What resolution do you use?

Hmmm, What tips would you have for me to make my pictures the best I can
for your viewing enjoyment?

Winde
'making a webpage'

Hi Winde.
Depth of colour: No point using greater than 24-bit for jpg, 8-bit for gif.

dpi / resolution: these terms are more useful if you're thinking of printing to paper
(IMNSHO, greater than 200 dpi is a waste for *that*). For webpages, its more useful
to think in terms of "How wide will my pix be" and "What file size will they be?"

Opinions and standards vary widely, but you don't want an image to be so large (in
terms of # of pixels wide or high) that the user has to scroll to view it. 500 pix
wide is good for "average" pix. I don't go wider than 900 unless I have to. 100 is
good for thumbnails.

Filesize: 30k=good 70k=OK 150k=getting uncomfortable 150k=unfriendly for
dialup.

gif= good for diagrams, graphs, titles, transparent backgrounds, animations
jpg= good for photos

When scanning, if you get unpleasant burnt-out spots which can't be removed with
exposure changes, try rotating the coin and scanning again.

Good software (eg Photoshop) is a real bonus.

This topic is w-a-a-a-a-y too complex to cover all points quickly *and*
comprehensively.
Suggest you try it and try it and try it (so on).

Have fun.

--
Jeff

Old April 9th 04, 05:51 PM
A E McIntosh

"A.Gent" wrote in
u:

[...]

thank you for the info. i went through a period a few yrs ago of
scanning my coins and getting good pix, but the hd died before i could
get everything burned to disk...and then i went and forgot what i did to
get the good scans

*sigh*

anita
Old April 9th 04, 07:28 PM
Jeff Landon

If you can afford it, I recommend getting a good digital camera with a macro
mode. I think digital cameras take far better pictures than flat-bed
scanners.

I take pictures that wind up being about 1600 pixels wide. Way too big, I
know, but it leaves me with a lot of options. I can downsize the picture
any way I want for an eBay listing, or especially for insurance
documentation.

--Jeff

Old April 9th 04, 09:57 PM
Winde Walker

A.Gent wrote:
[...]

Thank you kindly Jeff, printed this out on paper just to have it handy
for a long time to come.

Winde
'setting up scanner'
Old April 9th 04, 09:58 PM
Winde Walker

Jeff Landon wrote:

If you can afford it, I recommend getting a good digital camera with a macro
mode. I think digital cameras take far better pictures than flat-bed
scanners.

I take pictures that wind up being about 1600 pixels wide. Way too big, I
know, but it leaves me with a lot of options. I can downsize the picture
any way I want for an eBay listing, or especially for insurance
documentation.

--Jeff

"Winde Walker" wrote in message

If you scan your coins for showing on the web I would like to know;

What dpi do you use?

What depth of color do you use?

What resolution do you use?

Hmmm, What tips would you have for me to make my pictures the best I can
for your viewing enjoyment?

Winde
'making a webpage'

Got a digital camera, but I'm worse with it than I am with a scanner

Winde
'getting to old for this newfangled world'