Scanning Coins - What Scanner?

Old May 12th 10, 01:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sealladh58

Default Scanning Coins - What Scanner?

This is a question for the technical geeks out there. For very many
years now I have been using my scanner to take pictures of coins using
setups devised after many experiments. An example of one of my coins
can be found on http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=85135

I have been using an Epson Perfection 1640SU scanner that is still in
excellent working order. However, I have recently changed my computer
and found that the scanner cannot work on it as drivers are not
available for the Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium operating system.
There are drivers for the 32-bit version of Windows 7 but those will
not work with my scanner. It looks as though I will reluctantly have
to look for a replacement.

My question is what to go for. I seem to recall reading somewhere
that some of the newer models of scanners do not take as good pictures
of 3D objects such as coins. I thought there was a thread on this
discussion group on this very matter, but cannot seem to find it among
the archives on Google Groups. From my memory I think the critical
element was the light source used in scanners. The 1640 uses a cold
cathode fluorescent (CCF) lamp, but the lamps many modern scanners are
white LEDs. While these LEDs are quicker to warm up they have a short
depth of focus and are only really suitable for 2D objects like paper
or film. They also have a colder spectrum light than the CCF lamps.

Has anybody had experience of modern scanners on what, or what not, to
go for in respect of taking pictures of coins? I am not so interested
now in scanning 35mm films, I did all that years ago. I would welcome
hearing other people's opinions.

Peter
Old May 12th 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"sealladh58" wrote in message
[...]

From my non-technical observation, the "thicker" the scanner the more depth
of focus. I use an older HP Scanjet 6300C that sits 4½ high from surface to
lid. I can scan a golf ball with almost the whole thing in focus. The type
of light source you mentioned may be a factor as well, but like I said, I'm
pretty non-technical. I don't need much depth of field for scanning coins,
so I would imagine most any current scanner would be able to handle that
issue pretty well.

Old May 14th 10, 04:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Sommars

Peter,

Before you dump your scanner, you might want to try the driver for
the Epson Perfection 2400 Photo scanner. It's supposed to work with
the 1640SU. Epson has a Windows 7 64-bit version available on their website.

Mike

Old May 15th 10, 11:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sealladh58

On May 12, 4:45*pm, "note.boy" wrote:
If I were you I would buy a digital camera with a macro, close focus,
ability. *Billy

Thanks for your suggestion. I already have a decent digital camera
with macro capability but have not yet found a quick workable setup to
take good pictures. Lighting is always a problem, even when using
daylight.

Using a scanner is very quick to set up and import the picture
straight into the photo editing software. I have timed myself and
from deciding to take a picture of a coin to having the finished,
edited picture on screen and saved takes less than three minutes.

Peter
Old May 15th 10, 11:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sealladh58

On May 14, 4:10*am, "Mike Sommars" wrote:
Peter,

Before you dump your scanner, you might want to try the driver for
the Epson Perfection 2400 Photo scanner. It's supposed to work with
the 1640SU. Epson has a Windows 7 64-bit version available on their website.

Mike

Thanks for your suggestion, but so far I have not had any success.
Although I can find the driver for the Perfection 2400 scanner Windows
7 won't seem accept it for the Perfection 1640. Windows detects there
is a 1640 there and I can't see a way to fool the system into thinking
it is a 2400 so that I can use the new driver.

So, I am reluctantly still searching for a new scanner. At the moment
the Epson Perfection V350 or HP Scanjet G3110 seem to be suitable.
Both seem to have downloadable drivers for Windows 7 (64-bit).

Peter
Old May 15th 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On May 15, 6:29*am, sealladh58 wrote:
[...]

I suspect that the Epson is a bit more scanner than you need just for
coins. Naturally if you need it for other purposes, it might be a
good value. The HP seems to have the features you need, but when I
look at the reviews of it on the HP web site, they seem to say not to
buy it. I've never used this one.
Old May 16th 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_9_]

? "sealladh58" ?????? ??? ??????

Thanks for your suggestion, but so far I have not had any success.
Although I can find the driver for the Perfection 2400 scanner Windows
7 won't seem accept it for the Perfection 1640. Windows detects there
is a 1640 there and I can't see a way to fool the system into thinking
it is a 2400 so that I can use the new driver.

So, I am reluctantly still searching for a new scanner. At the moment
the Epson Perfection V350 or HP Scanjet G3110 seem to be suitable.
Both seem to have downloadable drivers for Windows 7 (64-bit).

Go for the Epson.
I have the 2450 PHOTO and it still delivers excellent scannings!
I had a HP before and had only trouble with it...
As someone have mentioned, I hope I can find Win 7 drivers when upgrading my
OS (I'm still running on XP on this machine).

rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old May 17th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"sealladh58" wrote:

So, I am reluctantly still searching for a new scanner. At the moment
the Epson Perfection V350 or HP Scanjet G3110 seem to be suitable.
Both seem to have downloadable drivers for Windows 7 (64-bit).

Have you tried using VueScan software with your current
scanner?
http://www.hamrick.com/

I found that scanning coins with my older Epson 3170 is
decidedly hit or miss, especially for slabbed coins.
Here's a sample of the variation I see even from one side
of a coin to another:

http://wemightneedthat.biz/Coins/190...entavo-Obv.jpg
http://wemightneedthat.biz/Coins/190...entavo-Rev.jpg

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles

Old May 18th 10, 12:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sealladh58

On May 17, 11:50*pm, "Michael Benveniste" wrote:
Have you tried using VueScan software with your current
scanner?http://www.hamrick.com/

I found that scanning coins with my older Epson 3170 is
decidedly hit or miss, especially for slabbed coins.
Here's a sample of the variation I see even from one side
of a coin to another:

Thanks for the information. I will certainly give the free trial a
go.

There are many techniques to try when scanning coins. I tried quite
few before hitting on my own setup and to some extent the type of
coins being scanned makes a difference. However, scanning slabbed
coins is always a problem as the plastic case deflects and reflects
light in an uncontrollable way. I avoid scanning those coins.

Peter

Which scanner? Douglas Myall General Discussion 10 December 8th 08 04:16 AM
Automated scanning with a photo scanner Joshua McGee[_3_] General Discussion 6 May 28th 08 04:21 AM
scanning coins J Coins 13 May 3rd 07 08:42 PM
Scanning Coins Question Chris V. Coins 5 July 19th 04 06:27 PM
scanning coins Winde Walker Coins 5 April 9th 04 09:58 PM