replies to over 10 year old postings

Old November 3rd 04, 08:55 PM
Allan Adler

Default replies to over 10 year old postings

In 1993, I posted USENET articles about some books I wanted to sell at
the time. In the last two days, I've gotten two inquiries, each about a
different book, from two apparently independent people in two different
countries outside the US. Neither book is a collector's item and each
is available in other countries, e.g. Argentina and Germany. This comes
after no interest in the books for over 10 years. I think both individuals
were searching Google for USENET postings about books, but I don't know
if they were both searching for books for sale, and sifting through the
results, or whether both were searching for the particular books they
were asking about. The former seems a lot more likely to me. That being
the case, it seems also likely that I'm not the only one suddenly getting
email about ancient postings about books for sale. So, I'm wondering whether
anyone else on this group has had similar experiences recently.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Old November 4th 04, 02:26 PM
Giltedge04

[...]

Hello Allan,

I assume these people are trying to buy your books? This is probably a well
known internet fraud.

Take a look at:

http://www.westcountrylinks.co.uk/forsale/info.htm

I advertised a "rare book" on a website in June and ever since have been
receiving two emails a day which are all fraud attempts. If you want to
forward copies of the emails to me personally I'll check them out for you.

Stan

Old November 4th 04, 03:29 PM
Allan Adler

(Giltedge04) writes:

I assume these people are trying to buy your books? This is probably a well
known internet fraud.
Take a look at:
http://www.westcountrylinks.co.uk/forsale/info.htm
I advertised a "rare book" on a website in June and ever since have been
receiving two emails a day which are all fraud attempts. If you want to
forward copies of the emails to me personally I'll check them out for you.

The emails I received don't remind me of the samples I found at the
website you mentioned. I have no reason at the moment to believe they
are interested in anything other than purchasing the specific books they
asked about, neither of which is at all valuable. I didn't say I was
still willing to sell the books, so there was no discussion of payment
methods.

Well, coincidences do happen, so maybe that's all it is.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Old November 4th 04, 03:53 PM
PostScript

In article , Allan Adler
wrote:

(Giltedge04) writes:

I assume these people are trying to buy your books? This is probably a well
known internet fraud.
Take a look at:
http://www.westcountrylinks.co.uk/forsale/info.htm
I advertised a "rare book" on a website in June and ever since have been
receiving two emails a day which are all fraud attempts. If you want to
forward copies of the emails to me personally I'll check them out for you.

The emails I received don't remind me of the samples I found at the
website you mentioned. I have no reason at the moment to believe they
are interested in anything other than purchasing the specific books they
asked about, neither of which is at all valuable. I didn't say I was
still willing to sell the books, so there was no discussion of payment
methods.

Well, coincidences do happen, so maybe that's all it is.

groups.google.com defaults to ordering search returns by "relevance"
instead of date. Your old posts might have been most relevant to their
searches and they didn't notice the old dates on them.

--
PostScript
http://wheresmybutt.com/