FA: 1916-D Mercury dime NGC AG3, looks full Good

Old February 12th 10, 03:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

Default FA: 1916-D Mercury dime NGC AG3, looks full Good

On Feb 4, 1:57*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Michael Benveniste wrote:
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 16:49:07 -0800 (PST), Frank Provasek
wrote:

This was purchased by me at Long Beach last May, never got around to
regrading it due to a tornado hitting my house in June and delivery
problems from Heritage...long story. *I offered this on eBay a couple
of months ago, then the buyer wanted me to GUARANTEE a lock upgrade
putting money in his pocket while I would get nothing. *So I thought
I would try once more on eBay while they still offer the $20 max
seller fee....Funny how people won't trust their own grading
abilities..I have an offer for $1200 from a guy who wants this coin
in G4 plastic only so he can bust it out for his Dansco.

... and a nice coin it is, too. *Compare it to this AG3 which sold
last month or this AVACS G4 that's going up for sale next week:

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.a...=1563&imagetyp...
http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.a...=1200&imagetyp...

But if someone's going to pay the crackout game, they'd better
well realize it's at their own risk. *If I was still collecting
Merc's I'd be proud to own this one no matter what the slab
said.

Exactly. *Slabbing for authenticity is what counts the most at the basic
level, grading for originality on the other. *The actual number is
significant only to those whose pecuniary interest trumps their numismatic
interest.

James

James,

Many out there who love coins don't have the slightest idea about coin
grading, that's why those folks trust the "average every day normal
nimrod graders at PCGS to give them THE TRUTH".

The "truth" is that the PCGS "experts" are only slightly above average
graders (at best) that perpetuate their craft by people spending more
and more money when they resubmit coins over and over when they
disagree with the so-called "initial grade".

IMO it merely makes their stockholders happy and it's no skin off of
their anonymous rear-ends.

That said, I agree with you (I think) that most people who buy a low
grade 16-D are filling holes in their collection and should only be
interested in having that particular coin authenticated and should not
be concerned with splitting grading hairs. 16-D's are one of the most
counterfeited in the hobby and should be evaluated by an expert before
buying one, especially if you are a novice. I've seen some excellent
looking doozys myself over the years that were total fakes.

IMO the coin in question is a nice, original coin that deserves a good
home, grading be damned.

I just got hosed by PCGS in grading one of my own coins (at a dealer's
advice, no less), and don't trust them to be a decent and fair member
of the hobby AFA I can throw them at this point.
Old February 12th 10, 10:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:48:06 -0800, Reality wrote:

IMO the coin in question is a nice, original coin that deserves a good
home, grading be damned.

I agree, but because the coin was in the "wrong" slab, it got
0 bids this time. Such is the market today.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles
Old February 17th 10, 03:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

On Feb 12, 1:43*am, Michael Benveniste wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:48:06 -0800, Reality wrote:
IMO the coin in question is a nice, original coin that deserves a good
home, grading be damned.

I agree, but because the coin was in the "wrong" slab, it got
0 bids this time. *Such is the market today.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. *It is held in reverence. *It settles
everything. *Some think it is the voice of God. -- Mark Twain

Sad but true that some value a piece of paper in a plastic tomb over
their very own eyes. That said, many AG-3s sell for $500 - $700 these
days which probably killed a sale of the coin through eBay considering
the original asking price.