Some stuff what came in the mail..

Old February 4th 05, 02:18 AM
Randy Thompson

Default Some stuff what came in the mail..

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:44:40 GMT, "Harv" wrote:

c) a couple of PCGS slabbed Wisconcheese D-mint "Low Leaf" Variety quarters
from Rick Snow's Eagle Eye Coins..

You could have saved some cash and just bought this one.

Someone posted this on the CU forum.

--
Randy
Old February 4th 05, 02:48 AM
Ron

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:44:40 GMT, "Harv" wrote:

Recent acquisitions.. Mr. Postman handed me::

a) a couple of 2005 State Quarter Proof Sets.. I think the winner of the
bunch is Oregon.. the Calif. quarter is entirely underwhelming and
disappointing.. it should have had the Golden Gate Bridge and the Hollywood
sign on it, IMO.. West Virginny with that bridge isn't bad.. Minnesota..
eh.. at least the State Outline is just a little bitty thing..

b) a $25.00 mini-bag of Wisconcheese D-mint quarters. Hey, I had to treasure
hunt for the extra leaf varieties. So it was a $10.50 gamble to pay the
$35.50 price for $25.00 worth of quarters.. as I snipped the bag open and
went through each one, chanting the names of various Deities.. nothing..
nothing.. and hey, big surprise.. nothing.. just 100 normal quarters, some
nicer than others, no errors, no extra leaves, no cows with 12 ears, no
rotated dies, no missing clad layers, no off-centers.. just pocket change.
Like I said, it was a gamble..

Hey, more fun than blowing 10 bucks on the lotto. Probably had better
odds too.

c) a couple of PCGS slabbed Wisconcheese D-mint "Low Leaf" Variety quarters
from Rick Snow's Eagle Eye Coins.. these, too, are a gamble. I'm gambling
that no full rolls or bags of them are found, and the number of them out
there stays extremely low.. since PCGS and NGC are both slabbing them as
legitimate varieties, and since they'll be in the 2006 Red Book as a
legitimate variety, I thought, what the Hell.. grab a couple before he
raises his prices. If you factor in the cost of buying them raw and having
PCGS slab them, and the fact that he shipped to me by Express Mail at no
charge, (nice guy).. these cost me less than what raw ones are selling for
on eBay.. Now I wait and see where the prices go..

Cool,,,, tempted myself.

I stared and stared at that extra leaf.. man, that thing is a leaf. If it's
just a serendipitous die gouge.. well.. it looks like a damn leaf, what can
I say..

Sure looks leafy to me.

Ron

Old February 4th 05, 12:45 PM
Bruce Remick

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

So was I.

It took me an hour or so arguing with myself before deciding to pass this
one up. I don't collect state quarters, so the two varieties wouldn't be a
"must" for a complete collection. Otherwise, I would probably take a
chance. For that same money, I think I would rather "invest" in a nice
coin from a series I do collect-- one that has a track record for
maintaining its demand and value. I compare these quarters with the various
late-date doubled die Lincoln cents with the hefty price tags. Even though
they have been recognized in the Red Book and by the grading services, I
still don't trust that they will maintain their lofty value among Lincoln
cent collectors, especially if additional DD's are found and collectors
gradually get turned off by the expense of including every one in their
memorial cent collection. I chose not to include them in my collection for
that one reason.

Otherwise, I anticipate kicking myself if these two quarter varieties double
in price and hover there for awhile. I try not to think about it anymore,
but it will be hard to hide from the news about these things in the months
ahead.

Bruce

"In The Mail" Friday 12/10/04 Kenneth465 Autographs 1 December 10th 04 10:58 PM
Too Much Stuff In My House. Should I Really Do Anything About Collecting Junk? Mr. Richmond General 7 July 8th 04 01:49 AM
Getting stuff in the mail ELurio Coins 0 June 23rd 04 02:47 PM
FREE MONEY IN THE MAIL Kellyluvsaac3 Paper Money 0 February 19th 04 12:05 AM
FREE MONEY IN THE MAIL Kellyluvsaac3 Paper Money 0 February 19th 04 12:02 AM