RIP: Paul Puckett

Old December 10th 12, 05:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Default RIP: Paul Puckett

Just read on the PCGS message board that long-time deeler Paul Puckett
has passed away after a long illness. I remember Paul's ads, mostly
offering semi-key Lincoln cents, in "Coin World" back in the 1970's and
had the pleasure of knowing him personally since the early 1980's when I
met him at coin shows after moving to the West Coast. He and his wife
were always extremely friendly to collectors and other deelers, and were
always willing to spend a lot of time on customer service and just plain
talking coins at shows. He also ran an extensive mail-order business
and was always looking for coins to fulfill "want lists" from his
customers, often delighting to find a sub-$10 item in a deeler's binder
that he'd been looking for for a while.

My favorite Paul story is from when I was Bourse Chairman of the San
Jose Coin Club show (125 - 175 tables at the time, one of the major
shows on the West Coast). Paul showed up at deeler setup looking quite
haggard, and I wondered why given that it's only a two-hour flight from
Washington State where he lived at the time. He said (and this shows
you how long ago this wuz ...), "Eastern Airlines had an extremely cheap
airfare to introduce their new service to Seattle, so I booked a flight
on them instead of my regular airline." So I said, "Sounds great, I
didn't know they were flying to the West Coast now. But I thought their
only hub was in Atlanta -- where did you change planes". "Atlanta!", he
replied, "I've flown six thousand miles already today, and have another
six thousand miles to fly back on Sunday". Paul travelled to a show
almost every weekend at the time, and I'm sure he was planning on using
Eastern to get to many East Coast shows. He couldn't pass up the
opportunity to get 12,000 frequent flyer miles for the $99 round-trip
airfare he paid ... but I suspect that he had severe second thoughts
when he got home verrrry late Sunday night (or most likely Monday
morning/afternoon ...).

Paul didn't travel as much recently, and I think that the last time I
saw him was at an ANA or Long Beach show two or three years ago.

RIP Paul, you were one of the "good guys" in this hobby and will be
greatly missed.

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
Old December 11th 12, 03:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ruben[_2_]

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 08:51:00 -0800, Ken Barr wrote:

Just read on the PCGS message board that long-time deeler Paul Puckett
has passed away after a long illness.

Nice story and nice memorial

RIP - Paul Benedict Gummby3[_2_] Autographs 2 December 5th 08 12:51 AM
Paul Green, RIP [email protected] Coins 3 August 23rd 06 03:09 PM
RIP Paul Winchell [email protected] Autographs 1 June 27th 05 07:56 AM
RIP Pope John Paul II pe2 Autographs 4 April 2nd 05 11:01 PM
RIP NASCAR: RIR'S PAUL SAWYER pe2 Autographs 0 February 27th 05 11:17 PM