Halves still (randomly) getting confused as dollar coins

Old March 23rd 10, 03:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Duh_Oz

Default Halves still (randomly) getting confused as dollar coins

Happened again today at a thrift store. Bill was $4.95 so I hand
over 2, $2's and 2 halves. The halves go under the till and the
cashier hands me $1.05 in change. I explain those were half dollars
so she lifts the till, looks them over and I hand back the $1. Then
she takes the halves and puts both on top of the $1 bills. So an
alleged $1 coin goes under the till but 2 halves go on top of the $1
bills? What-ever!

Old March 23rd 10, 03:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Mar 22, 10:10�pm, Duh_OZ wrote:
Happened again today at a thrift store. � Bill was $4.95 so I hand
over 2, $2's and 2 halves. � The halves go under the till and the
cashier hands me $1.05 in change. �I explain those were half dollars
so she lifts the till, looks them over and I hand back the $1. � Then
she takes the halves and puts both on top of the $1 bills. � �So an
alleged $1 coin goes under the till but 2 halves go on top of the $1
bills? �What-ever!

Have a guestimate on her age? Sadly most "kids" under 30 don't have
any idea that half dollars even (or ever) exist. Want to have a real
ball? Pay for something with an Ike, an old silver certificate, or
even a pre-big portrait bill (they're still out there).

Jerry
Old March 23rd 10, 03:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message
Happened again today at a thrift store. Bill was $4.95 so I hand
over 2, $2's and 2 halves. The halves go under the till and the
cashier hands me $1.05 in change. I explain those were half dollars
so she lifts the till, looks them over and I hand back the $1. Then
she takes the halves and puts both on top of the $1 bills. So an
alleged $1 coin goes under the till but 2 halves go on top of the $1
bills? What-ever!

If you can't understand the clerk's reaction to your deuces and halves, why
not simply hand her the five or five ones that she probably expected?

Old March 23rd 10, 03:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

On Mar 22, 7:30*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Duh_OZ" wrote in message

Happened again today at a thrift store. * Bill was $4.95 so I hand
over 2, $2's and 2 halves. * The halves go under the till and the
cashier hands me $1.05 in change. *I explain those were half dollars
so she lifts the till, looks them over and I hand back the $1. * Then
she takes the halves and puts both on top of the $1 bills. * *So an
alleged $1 coin goes under the till but 2 halves go on top of the $1
bills? *What-ever!

If you can't understand the clerk's reaction to your deuces and halves, why
not simply hand her the five or five ones that she probably expected?

Because some people insist on incorporating obscure denominations into
regular commerce to unsuspecting and non-coin collecting clerks IMHO.

I have a nice source for beat up $2 bills and $1 silver certificates
that I only give out as as tips at resturants. That way, it gives
them a few minutes to figure it out, and hopefully realize, that they
are different and potentially cool to receive.

Otherwise, I side with the clerks on not knowing what the living f***
is going on, as they rarely or never see obscure coins and currency on
a daily basis.
Old March 23rd 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Mar 22, 10:10?pm, Duh_OZ wrote:
Happened again today at a thrift store. ? Bill was $4.95 so I hand
over 2, $2's and 2 halves. ? The halves go under the till and the
cashier hands me $1.05 in change. ?I explain those were half dollars
so she lifts the till, looks them over and I hand back the $1. ? Then
she takes the halves and puts both on top of the $1 bills. ? ?So an
alleged $1 coin goes under the till but 2 halves go on top of the $1
bills? ?What-ever!

Have a guestimate on her age? Sadly most "kids" under 30 don't have
any idea that half dollars even (or ever) exist. Want to have a real
ball? Pay for something with an Ike, an old silver certificate, or
even a pre-big portrait bill (they're still out there).

Not too long ago I visited a coin shop, bought a couple of things, and got
an Ike and a Sac back in change. I left them as a tip in a Denny's. I
wonder if I dare ever go back in there.

James the (Alleged) Stiff

Old March 23rd 10, 04:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message

[...]

Heh. I wonder if you'd get flak for leaving some Barber coins as a tip.

James, Not Ready to Try It Yet

Old March 23rd 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Duh_Oz

On Mar 22, 9:30*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Duh_OZ" wrote in message

Happened again today at a thrift store. * Bill was $4.95 so I hand
over 2, $2's and 2 halves. * The halves go under the till and the
cashier hands me $1.05 in change. *I explain those were half dollars
so she lifts the till, looks them over and I hand back the $1. * Then
she takes the halves and puts both on top of the $1 bills. * *So an
alleged $1 coin goes under the till but 2 halves go on top of the $1
bills? *What-ever!

If you can't understand the clerk's reaction to your deuces and halves, why
not simply hand her the five or five ones that she probably expected?

==============
I almost never have singles on me, let alone five of them. The
halves seem to gather more interest than the $2's although I've had
customers behind me buy either/or from the cashier after seeing me
spend them. Besides, some clerks get a kick out of seeing this
"rare" currency that isn't rare at all :-) There is one place I
visit that thanks me for spending them as they exchange them and then
give the oddball currency as gifts to their kids.

OZ, gathering up 36 halves to pay for a 5K race. Yes, I pay money to
see how slow I can run.
Old March 23rd 10, 05:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message

[...]

Maybe not at the barber shop?

Old March 23rd 10, 01:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message

[...]

I never left Barbers a tip until after I left college.

Old March 23rd 10, 01:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message

[...]

=========

Then maybe that's the place you should spend them. A place that you know
will appreciate them. Otherwise, you shouldn't be surprised or annoyed (
or secretly amused) when some clerks are confused by them.

=========

OZ, gathering up 36 halves to pay for a 5K race. Yes, I pay money to
see how slow I can run.
=========

Especially if you carried them in your pocket. Even back when they
circulated i doube there was more than once or twice a year that I would
have more than one half dollar in my pocket. Of course my financial
situation had nothing to do with it. ;)