Tech: Seeburg SPS2 Won't select until warmed up - update

Old March 8th 11, 02:58 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
alexf[_2_]

Default Tech: Seeburg SPS2 Won't select until warmed up - update

For some reason I cannot reply to my old post. So to recap: I was
having trouble with my SPS2. It would do the double scan no select
thing. After it warmed up it would play fine. I asked for suggestions
and a DCC cap kit was recommended. I should mention after awhile it
wouldn't play even after powered on for some time. My main interest is
EM pinball so this is unchartered territory for me. I have very little
experience working on Jukes or anything solid state for that matter.

Anyway, I bought a cap kit for the DCC. A juke buddy helped walk me
through installing it. It was nice to have some instruction and was
kind of fun. The downside is after installation he tested the old
capacitors and they were all close to spec. So as suspected the cap
kit didn’t fix the problem. \

I read about the battery trick to test for a write in problem. I tried
it with no luck. So can I eliminate it being a write in problem?
I cleaned the RCA jacks that plug into the tormat and the DCC without
result. I also removed the mech to inspect for mechanical issues. Mis-
adjusted switches broken wires etc.

Where do I go from here? Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex
Old March 11th 11, 11:41 PM
Peter T Peter T is offline
Junior Member

Location: Dutchmam living in Germany
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf[_2_] View Post
[...]

Hello Alex.

Owner of SPS2 and SMC1 a few month ago the same problem.
I cleaned the contacts of the triprelay with 1200 brasspaper, pull it out , pull off the plastic cap or replace the triprelay
Let me know if it works.
Greetings from Germany.
Peter.
Old March 16th 11, 11:31 AM
Klorvin Borno Klorvin Borno is offline
Junior Member

FYI, in case you tried the "battery trick" backwards it would cancel all songs rather than adding them, make sure you also try it by reversing the + and - on the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T View Post

Old March 17th 11, 08:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
alexf[_2_]

--
Klorvin Borno

Hi Klorvin,
I think we inadvertently hi-jacked old school's thread. Sorry old
School.

I do however appreciate your input. Anyway I did try the battery trick
using polarity in both directions. No luck. I am also embarrassed to
say I'm not sure where exactyl the trip relay is located. I think I
need a manual to properly identify the components so I can apply the
advice given and troubleshooting info Ive read. I did pull the mech
out and clean switches and check adjustment. Nothing so far seems to
have helped.
Thanks,
Alex
Old March 28th 11, 02:14 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
alexf[_2_]

On Mar 8, 9:58 am, alexf wrote:
[...]

My juke is back up and running. That is the good news. My friend had
to a similar problem in his Entertainer. He re-capped his power supply
like we did mine and was up and running right away. We tried my DCC
unit afterward in his Entertainer and no dice. So we installed his
newly re-capped power supply board in my DCC and voila she was up and
running. I took My DCC home with his board still in it to try and my
SPS2 and perfecto.

It appears my power supply board has another component failure beyond
the replaced capacitors. He gave me a parts board to start swapping
other components but I was wondering if there is anybody that sells
this power supply board already rebuilt or tested working. The board
is 311125-D.
Thanks,
Alex
Old March 30th 11, 02:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
alexf[_2_]

On Mar 27, 8:14 pm, alexf wrote:
On Mar 8, 9:58 am, alexf wrote:

[...]

Crickets? Juke guys don't seem as helpful as pinball guys?

Anyway I transfered a transistor from the parts board to my original
board and it fixed the problem. Just thought I'd update in case
someone else runs into a similar issue down the road.
Alex
Old May 15th 16, 03:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Alex,

Thanks for posting. I have a Seeburg SPS160 and it is doing exactly what you described in a previous post. It will scan twice and not select a record, but after it has warmed up, it will start selecting and playing records. Do you remember what transistor you replaced on the power supply board that ultimately fixed the problem?

Thanks,
Kent