A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Juke Boxes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Roc-Ola CD 8 1994 J/Box

Old September 22nd 10, 12:24 AM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Sep 2010
Default Roc-Ola CD 8 1994 J/Box

Hi
I have obtained a late 1994 Rock-Ola CD 8 Jukebox. It has the black box system of Power Dist Unit etc. I have 3 red neon lights "on" on the Pwr Box yet I cannot get power to the CD PLay mechanism. I do not have any wiring diagrams yet so I am working in the dark at the moment. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can give me a few T/Shooting hints I can do till I get the wiring diagrams. I have heard that the Black box units have a history of problems & that's why Antique Apparatus upgraded to the couloured boxes. Can anyone help me.
Ads
Old September 22nd 10, 04:12 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi
I have obtained a late 1994 Rock-Ola CD 8 Jukebox. It has the black box system of Power Dist Unit etc. I have 3 red neon lights "on" on the Pwr Box yet I cannot get power to the CD PLay mechanism. I do not have any wiring diagrams yet so I am working in the dark at the moment. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can give me a few T/Shooting hints I can do till I get the wiring diagrams. I have heard that the Black box units have a history of problems & that's why Antique Apparatus upgraded to the couloured boxes. Can anyone help me.
Hello Roy,

Going by the date of your jukebox and you saying it was Antique Apperatus, more than likely the mechanism and all the boards etc will be Rowe Ami.
Rowe Ami boards are prone to dry joints (called cold joints in the USA) to the connection pin soldering. Look for cracking in the solder around these connection joints.
The early units had CDM3 laser heads.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
Old September 23rd 10, 02:09 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hood View Post
Hello Roy,

Going by the date of your jukebox and you saying it was Antique Apperatus, more than likely the mechanism and all the boards etc will be Rowe Ami.
Rowe Ami boards are prone to dry joints (called cold joints in the USA) to the connection pin soldering. Look for cracking in the solder around these connection joints.
The early units had CDM3 laser heads.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
Many thanks Alan - I will check the boards out - Keep an eye open on the result of my T/Shooting. I am a Brit living here in the US. Cheers mate.
Old September 25th 10, 01:56 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Nov 2005

Actually, Antique Apparatus still used the label on nostalgia jukes after they bought Rock-Ola. Therefore, you may indeed have a Rock-Ola.

As for your problem: The LEDs on the Power Distribution only mean that they are available on the board itself. Cabling to other units is done via the flat ribbon cable on the left side of the unit. The +12VDC is only a setup voltage for +9VDC to be supplied to the player. There are TO-220 cased voltage regulators mounted on the CD Interface Assembly which actually supply working voltages to the player. I do not have the info in front of me at the moment, so I can't tell you exactly which one does what, but you can test the VR's by testing for their designated voltages on the leg(s) of the device. Almost always you can orient the VR by looking at it with the mounting tab on top. In that view, the left leg will be the set-up voltage, middle leg will be ground and the right leg will be the regulated output.

If you don't get results, repost and I will dig up more info for you.

Respectfully,
David