2009 Western States Token Society show and auction.

Old February 8th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default 2009 Western States Token Society show and auction.

The Western States Token Society annual jamboree will be held March
6-7-8, 2009 at the Red Lion Hotel in Sacramento, California. A fully
illustrated listing of the benefit token auction as well as all the
show details may be found at www.exonumia.homestead.com.

For many of you, Token Jamboree could be a pre-ANA show as the ANA
World's Fair of Money will be in Portland, OR the following week.
Reasonable flights can be found between Sacramento and Portland for
those flying into the show. Limited bourse space is still available.
Old February 8th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote in message
The Western States Token Society annual jamboree will be held March
6-7-8, 2009 at the Red Lion Hotel in Sacramento, California. A fully
illustrated listing of the benefit token auction as well as all the
show details may be found at www.exonumia.homestead.com.

For many of you, Token Jamboree could be a pre-ANA show as the ANA
World's Fair of Money will be in Portland, OR the following week.
Reasonable flights can be found between Sacramento and Portland for
those flying into the show. Limited bourse space is still available.

I wonder how long it before it will be routine for those of us in all parts
of the country to "attend" and participate in shows like this at our
computers. Maybe one day soon a collector at home in Milwaukee will be able
to browse the dealer display cases in Sacramento and interact with any
dealer in real time, asking the dealer for a closeup of a particular item
and dickering over a price. I suspect one could do this already on a
pre-arranged basis with a dealer, both using a cell phone camera or other
device.

Old February 8th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

If you have a carefully-selected cadre of reliable eBay sellers, you can
experience that online right now. Several dealers that I have come to know
and trust send me periodic emails with their monthly offerings. Sometimes
they already have pictures of their better items available on click, other
times they will custom-photograph if asked. I don't imagine coin shows will
ever cease to exist within our lifetimes, but they will have to change
bigtime to survive.

James the Futurist

Old February 8th 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I guess if my vision ever comes to pass, there would be no real
need for dealers to travel and congregate at one show location. Some kind
of scheduled computerized conference call-type setup could be arranged where
participating "show dealers" would be electronically linked as a group. The
group could be accessible online via password connection and the dealers
could interact with each other and with "virtual attendees" at home. Think
of all the show-related hassles it would eliminate for dealers. The way
technology is progressing, the commercial hardware to support such an
arrangement will probably be commonplace by the time I finish this beer. It
may be possible already. Burp. All we will need are a few clever people
to pioneer the concept.

Old February 8th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bruce Remick wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Before that can be realized, computers will have to be equipped with tiny
canisters of testosterone concentrate, which can then be set to
automatically spritz at the sight of certain coins, and detected by all the
participants online at the moment. Otherwise, there'll still be no
substitute for that first day of a show where all the biggie dealers strut
their stuff and brag about what they have. Coins, I mean.

James

Old February 8th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Bruce Remick wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I don't know about automatic spritzing. I'd like to be able to control
my spritz, maybe sandbag a bit now and then. Don't let 'em see you sweat.

I can just picture that virtual coin show now. Like a Google Earth deal
with a composite or mosaic view of dealer showcases. Roll that mouse wheel
to zoom in on those CWT's or the slabbed PR68 1964 quarters. You spot
something that you want to see more of, so you right-click and select the
dealer contact button. You use the voice activation feature on your
computer to request a detailed image and a verbal description. You like the
coin, agree on a price, and switch to mutual secure mode to arrange for
payment and shipping. Boy, I won't be able to get to sleep right away
tonight.