Are there any rhodium or iridium coins?

Old August 14th 03, 09:18 AM
Wolfgang Haeupler

Default Are there any rhodium or iridium coins?

Group!

Does anybody of you know, were there ever any coins
minted in rhodium or iridium?
If yes, which ones and which country minted them?
Somebody in a German forum asked that question and
I thought you may know more.
Thanks
Wolfgang

Old August 14th 03, 03:24 PM
Sean Moffatt

A quick look at Tony Claytons' website, which is an excellent site by the way, ( http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/metal.html#NotUsed )lists all known coin metals and alloys, as well as a list of metals that have not been used in coinage which includes rhodium or iridium, and gives some insight into why these alloys have not been used.

Sean Moffatt
Operations Manager
Hoffman Mint

Old August 14th 03, 11:43 PM
Paul Baker

I believe I have seen a British military medal with some relation to the
troubles in the then Rhodesia around 1980. It always comes with a Rhodium
plating which gives a slight rose tint..... (was a few years ago so not
certain....).....

Not a coin but close.... and only a plating but.....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

"Wolfgang Haeupler" wrote in message
Sean Moffatt wrote:
A quick look at Tony Claytons' website, which is an excellent site
by the way, ( http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/metal.html#NotUsed
)lists all known coin metals and alloys, as well as a list of metals
that have not been used in coinage which includes rhodium or
iridium, and gives some insight into why these alloys have not been
used.

Sean!

I forwarded your info yet. Thanks a lot.
Tony Claytons web site is really informative.
Best regards
Wolfgang

Old August 15th 03, 12:46 PM
Wolfgang Haeupler

Paul Baker wrote:
I believe I have seen a British military medal with some relation to
the troubles in the then Rhodesia around 1980. It always comes with a
Rhodium plating which gives a slight rose tint..... (was a few years
ago so not certain....).....

Not a coin but close.... and only a plating but.....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Hello Paul!
Thanks, I forwarded your post too but didnīt get any response
yet.
Medals are interesting too and as many others here, I started
collecting some of them yet.
Regards
Wolfgang

Coin grading/authentication services -- periodic post Linda Coins 6 August 8th 03 06:25 AM
FA: WORLD COINS, BYZANTINE, OBSOLETE PAPER, ETC . . . [email protected] Coins 1 August 1st 03 08:14 AM
Should I be worried about coin damage? Ron Coins 8 August 1st 03 03:38 AM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM
Value Guides Keith Tilley Coins 3 July 21st 03 07:50 AM