Repairability of Pelikan Piston Pens?

Old September 17th 04, 05:08 PM
Dave Williams

Default Repairability of Pelikan Piston Pens?

About a year ago, Frank said in a post:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pe...l.com&rnum =1

* * *

[Part of Frank's post:]

Some cheaper modern Pelikans are virtually unrepairable since their
fillers are sort of factory sealed. Better versions are repairable
reasonably easy. The 400 is OK, not sure off hand on the 250. The
current 150 I know is a snap fit that few people can successfuly
repair,
or if they can the repair would cost as much as a new 150 or probably
even more. Personally I think Pelikans are overated. But they are
still among the better pens made today. To be honest I think your
questions don't make much sense beyond theory, since as someone else
said, you should pray you will last as long as a well made pen will.

* * *

Does anyone have any information on whether or not the 250 has the
same
piston mechanism as the 400 and is as repairable as the 400 or has the
snap fit mechanism?

I really like the understated look of the 250 better!

Frank was probably right that this question doesn't make
much sense beyond theory, but I really want to know!

Thanks,

Dave Williams

Old September 18th 04, 03:12 AM
BL

Dave Williams:

Does anyone have any information on whether or not
the 250 has the same piston mechanism as the 400
and is as repairable as the 400 or has the
snap fit mechanism?

I really like the understated look of the 250
better! ...

The 400 is a dressier version of the 250, and the 250 is basically a 200
with a 14k nib. They're constructed the same way. Thankfully, you should
never have to remove a mechanism in one of these pens. Many 1950s
Pelikans are still going strong, without need of seal replacement. The
seal material Pelikan has been using since 1954 or so is very tough. If
the piston ever gets a little hard to turn, just unscrew the nib and
apply a tiny bit of silicon grease to the inside of the barrel near the
seal.
Except for the 800 and 1000 (which have screw-out mechanisms), Pelikan
piston fillers have friction fitted/glued mechanisms. --- B

Old September 18th 04, 03:16 AM
BL

I wrote:
Except for the 800 and 1000 (which have screw-out
mechanisms), Pelikan piston fillers have friction
fitted/glued mechanisms. --- B

I'm talking about modern Pelikans, of course. Some of the earlier ones
(100s, 100Ns, etc.) had screw-out mechanisms. -- B

Old September 18th 04, 06:03 AM
Free Citizen

"Dave Williams" wrote in message
m...
[...]

That is a classic post by Frank. But I can't agree that the Pelikans are
overrated. MBs are. I have a M250 and works like a song. And I have been
told by Pelikan that it can be repaired no matter how old the pen is.
--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

Old September 18th 04, 03:32 PM
Paul G

With a little patience and repair knowledge, any Pelikan piston assembly
can be removed and seals replaced. I have some going on 15 years without
a problem. Keep it lightly lubricated and don't store them with water
inside, as some folks like to do.

Pelikanyo Paul

Old September 18th 04, 07:35 PM
Scaupaug1

With a little patience and repair knowledge, any Pelikan piston assembly
can be removed and seals replaced. I have some going on 15 years without
a problem. Keep it lightly lubricated and don't store them with water
inside, as some folks like to do.

Pelikanyo Paul

"Free Citizen" wrote in message

"Dave Williams" wrote in message
m...
About a year ago, Frank said in a post:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pe...l=en&lr=&ie=UT

F-8&group=alt.collecting.pens-pencils&safe=off&selm=3F97B57B.1C39%40aol.co
m&rnum=1

* * *

[...]

Frank liked the Waterman's I made a lot...but I have a nasty feeling he would
tell me I was wasting my time "again" on Pelikans. A few weeks before he left
us I even confided that I probably would never bother with piston filled
overlays and stick only to 80-100 year old pens. I'm sorry Frank - but I think
they look and feel quite nice as a silver overlay..and the teardrop clips look
and feel nice as floral pattern sterling too IMO.

http://members.aol.com/scaupaug2/treetrunk/index.html

Old September 22nd 04, 11:52 AM
Bozack

He Means overrated in the pen communitites, Frank was a big vintage pen fan
and felt many better writers can be had for alot less which I agree, I also
agree Pelikan is highly overrated here and elsewhere.