US Mint come through

Old April 9th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
EricBabula[_2_]

Default US Mint come through

On Apr 9, 2:40*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
EricBabula wrote:
On Apr 9, 11:40 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"EricBabula" wrote in message

On Apr 9, 9:44 am, "Scurvy Dog" wrote:

Then, of course, you have to have a MS70+ with a CAC sticker.
What a load of bull****...

Anyone know what ever happened to the idea of a 100-point grading
system? That was a while back, and I've been out of it for a while.
Apparently, that never got enough traction, yet???
++++++++++

The 100 point grading system is set to be applied exclusively to the
popular MS70 grade, and will be designed to attract collectors of
lesser means to the world of MS70. I believe it's going to kick off
on April 1, 2011.

Hey, Bruce! Good to see another familiar name - I guess there ARE
still some people still around from when I used to read/post! You,
Reid, Mike B., James (Mr. Jaggers), Alan Bruns......wonder how many
others!

I guess I gotta read up on that 100-pt grading crap. Not that it
matters that much to me, per se, but I should at least know what it's
all about.

Um, Eric, kindly notice Bruce's starting date for the kickoff!

As far as I know, the 100-point deal is defunct, as it was not received well
by dealers. *And PCGS would not likely be investing in this new "plus
grading" scheme of theirs if they thought it was going to be supplanted any
time soon. *But, who knows, ya gotta have a gimmick, so anything is
possible.

James, Marveling Daily at New Wonders- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, 2011! I somehow read that as 2010! Regardless, I think I might
try to read up on it, if possible, just a little - see where it's
going, or not.

I can't imagine the dealers and especially most coin collectors would
support a 100-pt grading system at this point. Who wants to get all
their already-slabbed coins re-slabbed? Not me!

Eric Babula
Old April 9th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

[...]

I was referring to the April 1 part of that. 8)

James the April Fool

Old April 9th 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"EricBabula" wrote in message
On Apr 8, 3:30 pm, "Scurvy Dog" wrote:
I rec'd my War Vets and Boy Scout BU dollars within 10 days of ordering
them.
Both appear to be MS70, since I can't seem to spot a single flaw on them
under
10X magnifcation.
Well done, US Mint.

Hurry! Get them to PCGS right away!

And be sure to ask for their new zooper-dooper Secure Plus slabbing.

According to the item in this week's Coin World, this is an interesting
development. The Secure Plus coin gets a hi-def scan that's detailed enough
to serve as a unique fingerprint for each individual coin. Grading is
largely tied to the scan, not to fallible human eyes squinting through a
magnifier.

If a previously submitted Secure Plus coin is cracked out and sent again for
grading, they tie the new scan to the scan from the coin's previous
submission. It automatically will get the same grade as the last time.

If PCGS is to be believed, by taking much of the human element out of
grading and by databasing the scans, this will help put an end to
human-error grade inflation, repeated crack-out submissions in the hope of
getting lucky with a higher grade, and it can identify any changes or
cleaning/toning treatments affecting the surface after the coin was
previously submitted and scanned.

This could go a long way toward the goal of bringing more law and order to
the grading process. (It also may put the CAC sticker people out of a job.)

However, it's also going to intensify the price differentials for
hair-splitting variations within a grade. They claim that the scan will
positively and accurately separate specimens within the 10-point range for
each grade, allowing the grader to more accurately assign the coin to the
low, medium, or high range of any given grade. For example, a specimen of a
PS-66 could score from 660 to 669. Those scoring at 668 will be graded
PS-66+ whereas a 665 specimen will only get a plain PS-66. Human graders
cannot always accurately grade down to the 3rd digit whereas the scanner
supposedly can. So sellers of slabs with a + grade will have yet another
marketing ballyhoo to add to their blurbs - "it's a Secure Plus PS-66+".
While this time the + may actually be a reliable descriptor, it remains to
be seen just how meaningful it is except in the minds of dealers.

Old April 10th 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

Kinda makes one feel nostalgic for Good-Fine-Unc and even Choice BU-Gem BU.
Or my personal precision favorite-- Avg Circ, especially when applied to
19th century coins.

Old April 10th 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula[_2_]

"Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote in
:

Yeah, 2011! I somehow read that as 2010! Regardless, I think I
might try to read up on it, if possible, just a little - see
where it's going, or not.

I was referring to the April 1 part of that. 8)

James the April Fool

Ha! I guess I'm pretty slooowwww! Gotta get back into the swing of
things, and remember RCC's sense of humor!

Eric Babula
Old April 10th 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Eric Babula wrote:
"Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote in
:

Yeah, 2011! I somehow read that as 2010! Regardless, I think I
might try to read up on it, if possible, just a little - see
where it's going, or not.

I was referring to the April 1 part of that. 8)

James the April Fool

Ha! I guess I'm pretty slooowwww! Gotta get back into the swing of
things, and remember RCC's sense of humor!

You need to head out to the coin show in Your Fair City this weekend.

James the Showgoer

Old April 10th 10, 03:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula[_2_]

"Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote in news:hpogra01bh9
@enews1.newsguy.com:

Ha! I guess I'm pretty slooowwww! Gotta get back into the swing of
things, and remember RCC's sense of humor!

You need to head out to the coin show in Your Fair City this weekend.

James the Showgoer

Not likely to happen, unfortunately. I'll be trying to get out to ride
my new bicycle! I'm psyched for that!

Eric Babula
Old April 10th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

Move to the UK then. :-) Billy

Old April 11th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"mazorj" wrote in message

[...]

Where coins are Avg Circ? Actually, I think I would enjoy (a return to)
the UK's grading system, although I'd probably have to get rid of my slabbed
US coins if I moved there. Plus, they've got us scared about the prospect
of a VAT here. I should wait until that's settled before any move. Plus,
there's the cat.

Old April 11th 10, 09:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Apr 9, 9:58*am, EricBabula wrote:
On Apr 9, 1:58*am, sgt23 wrote:

On Apr 8, 4:47*pm, EricBabula wrote:

On Apr 8, 3:30*pm, "Scurvy Dog" wrote:

I rec'd my War Vets and Boy Scout BU dollars within 10 days of ordering them.
Both appear to be MS70, since I can't seem to spot a single flaw on them under
10X magnifcation.
Well done, US Mint.

Hurry! Get them to PCGS right away! *

Why?

Slab 'em at PCGS MS70. Sell 'em for a killing! Buy others (maybe
MS67ish) and be happy with those, and a few extra bucks in your
wallet.

Or, keep 'em and enjoy the heck out of 'em!!!

Well I hope your doing great with your sales. I'm not really in to
selling my coins, I sometimes find it hard to even want to trade my
coins away, but on an occasion I do trade with a friend. I personally
prefer a raw coin, but I do have a few coins that are slabbed. The
reason I prefer a raw coin, is because I like too be able to touch my
coins and wonder where they have been. I just don't feel you can get
that from a MS-coin in a slab. Oh and before I forget thanks for
answering my question.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Gary