anyone finding great lincolns

Old April 13th 10, 03:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default anyone finding great lincolns

On Apr 3, 12:07 pm, "Scurvy Dog" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 28, 9:41 pm, (james durham) wrote:
just curious to know because i roll hunt all the time i find stuff.
thats the best part of this hobby. you can allways find things you want
and need. just today i learned a thing or two about varieties. my friend
discovered a 2004 that had a extra bit to the columns on lincolns side.
i even found that he had pictured it so well that i can see whats up.
and try finding them now. best part is you can still find nice ones of
them untoned or not dirty. im going to rol hunt tomorrow and see if i
can get some san francisco mints or wheats or canadians or 20 or 2010
maybe some foreign stuff.

I did recently find an excellent 1909 S VDB, but not in a coin roll.
This came in an old Dansco album, which it was misplaced as a 1909 S.
Took to several dealers, who confirmed the date and authenticity. Sent
to PCGS, sent back as 1909 S authentic, but with an altered surface.
Still, sold for $705.

Yes and I found a MS70 1916D Merc dime in my breakfast cereal this morning,
complete with PCGS slab!
I took it to several dealers, who confirmed the date and authenticity.
I'm currently taking offers...

So happy for you ... another form of non-digestible fiber.

I didn't post the best part: the penny album was sent as a bonus for
winning a Shield/Liberty Nickel album.

The altered surface of the 1909 S VDB was apparently caused by long-
term exposure to tape, some of which remained on the album.

Sometimes those freebies are MOST interesting.

Daniel B. Wheeler
Old April 16th 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Apr 16, 5:54*am, Ken Fscher wrote:

* * * I had a "Whoa" when I was listing a 1916P Mercury
tonight and the picture of the reverse looked as if
there was a D but with the die mostly filled;

I must be confused. I don't see a 'mostly filled' D, anywhere on the
dime. It certainly is not where the mintmark usually appears.

Old April 17th 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
celtex

"james durham" wrote in message
just curious to know because i roll hunt all the time i find stuff.
thats the best part of this hobby. you can allways find things you want
and need. just today i learned a thing or two about varieties. my friend
discovered a 2004 that had a extra bit to the columns on lincolns side.
i even found that he had pictured it so well that i can see whats up.
and try finding them now. best part is you can still find nice ones of
them untoned or not dirty. im going to rol hunt tomorrow and see if i
can get some san francisco mints or wheats or canadians or 20 or 2010
maybe some foreign stuff.

I average about 7 wheat's a week hunting old houses with metal detector
condition varies. Oldest wheat to date is a 1910 in excellent shape a most
beautiful patina. I usually find 1 silver per 5-6 wheat's. So wheat's are
good barometers for what might lie in the yards.

Old April 17th 10, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"celtex" wrote in message

[...]

Be sure to check everywhere under old linoleum floor coverings. Based on a
find or two I know of, I suspect that there may have been a custom of
planting a shiny new penny under new linoleum floor jobs as a good luck
charm for the house. In their protected niche they come up with lots of
mint sheen still showing under a thin film of oleate deposits that yield to
generally harmless cleaning methods. It's hard to imagine anyone being so
careless as to accidentally leave them there, especially back when a penny
actually could buy something.

Old April 18th 10, 01:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Fscher

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 05:50:33 -0700 (PDT), Peter
wrote:

On Apr 16, 5:54Â*am, Ken Fscher wrote:

Â* Â* Â* I had a "Whoa" when I was listing a 1916P Mercury
tonight and the picture of the reverse looked as if
there was a D but with the die mostly filled;

I must be confused. I don't see a 'mostly filled' D, anywhere on the
dime. It certainly is not where the mintmark usually appears.

I have a 30 power loupe, and I don't see it
on the coin, but when I look at the picture, "it looks
as if there was a D".

I searched to see if there was filled die strikes
cataloged and found a statement about 264,000
strikes and half a million coins in collections. :-)

For now I consider it an optical illusion,
but I won't list the coin.

Old April 18th 10, 08:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

wrote:

On Apr 16, 5:54*am, Ken Fscher wrote:

* * * I had a "Whoa" when I was listing a 1916P Mercury
tonight and the picture of the reverse looked as if
there was a D but with the die mostly filled;

I must be confused. *I don't see a 'mostly filled' D, anywhere on the
dime. *It certainly is not where the mintmark usually appears.

* * * * I have a 30 power loupe, and I don't see it
on the coin, but when I look at the picture, "it looks
as if there was a D".

* * * * I searched to see if there was filled die strikes
cataloged and found a statement about 264,000
strikes and half a million coins in collections. :-)

* * * * For now I consider it an optical illusion,
but I won't list the coin.

I think you can be pretty confident if you didn't see a D under that
much magnification it does not exist.
Old April 18th 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Apr 16, 8:36�pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"celtex" wrote in message

[...]

actually could buy something.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, goodie! Something I can respond to. If you ever have the
opportunity, OLD time constructioners would nail a cent to the front
door frame of the house they were building. Usually a hole was
drilled through the cent and nailed in place, since nails back then
were somewhat expensive. As nails became cheaper, the coin would be
"triangled" with nails.

Jerry
Old April 18th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message

Oh, goodie! Something I can respond to. If you ever have the
opportunity, OLD time constructioners would nail a cent to the front
door frame of the house they were building. Usually a hole was
drilled through the cent and nailed in place, since nails back then
were somewhat expensive. As nails became cheaper, the coin would be
"triangled" with nails.

Jerry

Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall my father (who was a carpenter)
once telling me about how the "old-timers" sometimes would do that. Too bad
for the ones that were holed, though. Another technique would have been to
stash them in a spot that didn't require any fastening, such as in the
grooved inletting under a door sill or behind the inletted clamshell edge
trim along the top of the doorway.

Which I just realized hearkens directly back to ancient times when entryways
often were festooned with items and symbols to guard against evil gods and
spirits or propitiate the friendlier ones. It's amazing how some of these
primitive traditions have survived into modern times. And not all of them
are done on the sly. The tradition of the groom carrying his bride over the
threshold is rooted in the significance of doorways. And we still cling to
our many manifestations of the "lucky penny," such as inserting one in new
wallets and "penny loafer" moccasins. (Not to mention the obsolete but
presumably still extant practice of placing pennies on the eyes of the
departed.) Who knows, some day we may see numismatic metal detectors
fighting over trash heaps that are target-rich in old shoes and pocketbooks.
:-)

Poking around in attic woodwork and other concealed spots and even in
masonry can reveal other interesting workman "souvenirs". Skilled tradesmen
often would leave their names or initials, dates, and comments as a sort of
"Kilroy was here" message. Sometimes they'd leave a trinket or two, which I
suppose would qualify them as "construction exonumia". Or as ancestors of
the trinkets planted as a reward to successful geo-trackers.

- mazorj, Amateur Nail-Banger

Old April 18th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

wrote:

On Apr 16, 5:54 am, Ken Fscher wrote:

I had a "Whoa" when I was listing a 1916P Mercury
tonight and the picture of the reverse looked as if
there was a D but with the die mostly filled;

I must be confused. I don't see a 'mostly filled' D, anywhere on the
dime. It certainly is not where the mintmark usually appears.

I have a 30 power loupe, and I don't see it
on the coin, but when I look at the picture, "it looks
as if there was a D".

I searched to see if there was filled die strikes
cataloged and found a statement about 264,000
strikes and half a million coins in collections. :-)

For now I consider it an optical illusion,
but I won't list the coin.

I think you can be pretty confident if you didn't see a D under that
much magnification it does not exist.

Actually, anything over 5x is good mostly for spotting and identifying
extremely tiny isolated details like whether a really small dot is perfectly
circular or slightly elliptical.

That means that super-magnification tends to lose the bigger picture of the
forest's patterns of trees. These are better identified with low
magnification or the naked eye. Once identified that way, closer
examination under higher power (especially with stereo microscopes) gets you
into the realm of nailing down specific die markers, looking for obscure
hints of counterfeiting, etc.

Old April 19th 10, 01:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

wrote:

[...]

Has he tried that yet, and if he doesn't see the D, are there any
other possibilities?

FA: Lincolns 09S VDB ETC Bob Rinaldi w1cny Coins 0 November 17th 07 09:48 PM
FS: Lange on Lincolns Mark Cooper Coins 0 November 8th 07 03:23 AM
FA: 4 Lincolns and a Jefferson Eric Babula Coins 0 May 31st 06 01:14 PM
Big Lincolns tom Coins 1 May 22nd 06 05:00 PM
1942 Lincolns f b Coins 6 August 12th 04 12:22 AM