10c postage

Old June 26th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default 10c postage

Today I received a letter, computer addressed to me or current
resident.
The return address was a gold and black personal stick on, not a
company or business address.
Ten cents postage.
The contents was advertising for a local air conditioner service.
I don't care how well the mail is sorted when delivered to the bulk
mail unit, it still has to be sorted a couple of times and then
delivered.
Ten cents is not enough for this service, in my opinion.

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old June 26th 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Michael Hopper

On Jun 25, 7:05*pm, Ralphael1 wrote:
Today I received a letter, computer addressed to me or current
resident.
The return address was a gold and black personal stick on, not a
company or business address.
Ten cents postage.
The contents was advertising for a local air conditioner service.
I don't care how well the mail is sorted when delivered to the bulk
mail unit, it still has to be sorted a couple of times and then
delivered.
Ten cents is not enough for this service, in my opinion.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Consider it a part of the stimulus package.

Old June 26th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Art

On Jun 25, 8:18*pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Michael Hopper found these unused words:

On Jun 25, 7:05*pm, Ralphael1 wrote:
Today I received a letter, computer addressed to me or current
resident.
The return address was a gold and black personal stick on, not a
company or business address.
Ten cents postage.
The contents was advertising for a local air conditioner service.
I don't care how well the mail is sorted when delivered to the bulk
mail unit, it still has to be sorted a couple of times and then
delivered.
Ten cents is not enough for this service, in my opinion.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Consider it a part of the stimulus package.

But the two additional sorts and a cancellation [ for personal mail] cost
34¢ ???

Very hard to believe!

Hi
If I remember what I read years ago, bulk rate mail is weighed or
counted and the amount over the nominal value of the stamps (used to
tempt people to open the envelope) is billed to the sender.
Art
Old June 26th 09, 05:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I sent away for a package from Kentucky,
USPS put a label on it for $0

I paid good money for the contents
but the vendor claimed NCV on the customs dec (Nil Current Value)

You are a strange lot over there.

http://cjoint.com/data/gAgMH424t7.htm

"Ralphael1"

Old June 26th 09, 11:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 26, 12:42*am, "rodney" wrote:
I sent away for a package from Kentucky,
USPS put a label on it for $0

I paid good money for the contents
but the vendor claimed NCV *on the customs dec (Nil Current Value)

You are a strange lot over there.

http://cjoint.com/data/gAgMH424t7.htm

'They did you a favour. You might have had to pay
VAT (GST) and customs duty on it otherwise.

Blair

Old June 26th 09, 12:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jun 26, 12:42*am, "rodney" wrote:
I sent away for a package from Kentucky,
USPS put a label on it for $0

I paid good money for the contents
but the vendor claimed NCV *on the customs dec (Nil Current Value)

You are a strange lot over there.

http://cjoint.com/data/gAgMH424t7.htm

"Ralphael1"

Ten cents is not enough for this service, in my opinion.
Ralphael, the OLD one- Hide quoted text -

Rodney,
When a piece of mail is presented to a mail clerk with the correct
postage already affixed the clerk is supposed print out a 0 postage
meter stamp to indicate customer has correct postage. It does not
always happen this way.

Ralph
Old June 26th 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I had a feeling this was the case, Ralphael.
So the parcel is franked correctly.
Still, it is a bit odd really, I can only guess that the label
assists the parcel with its routing, otherwise it is a waste of time and
material.

"Ralphael1"

Old June 26th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Jun 26, 12:42�am, "rodney" wrote:
I sent away for a package from Kentucky,
USPS put a label on it for $0

I paid good money for the contents
but the vendor claimed NCV �on the customs dec (Nil Current Value)

You are a strange lot over there.

http://cjoint.com/data/gAgMH424t7.htm

"Ralphael1"

Ten cents is not enough for this service, in my opinion.
Ralphael, the OLD one- Hide quoted text -

Mail items that weigh over 13 ounces and with postage stamps affixed
are required to be handed to a postal clerk for mailing. When the
postage affixed is of the proper amount, the clerk will run off a PVI
with $0.00 and affix it so that the downstream handlers know that it
was properly preoceesed at initial reception.
Old June 26th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Jun 25, 7:05�pm, Ralphael1 wrote:
Today I received a letter, computer addressed to me or current
resident.
The return address was a gold and black personal stick on, not a
company or business address.
Ten cents postage.
The contents was advertising for a local air conditioner service.
I don't care how well the mail is sorted when delivered to the bulk
mail unit, it still has to be sorted a couple of times and then
delivered.
Ten cents is not enough for this service, in my opinion.

Ralphael, the OLD one

You do not say what type of 10 cent stamp it is - if it is regular
postage (not bulk mail or special service) then I suspect that it was
intended to be added to a 34 cent value to meet the current first
class rate. Several possible reasons for only the 10 cent stamp
arriving are possible - the sender forgot to add the other stamp(s),
or the other stamp was lost in the sorting machine.

If it was commercial bulk mail, most probably all the sorting up to
and including being cased for your mail carrier was mechanically done.
The cover may not have been touched by human hands from placing in the
sorting machine until your carrier placed it in your mail box.
Old June 26th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Jun 26, 11:22�am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
found these unused words:

On Jun 26, 12:42?am, "rodney" wrote:
I sent away for a package from Kentucky,
USPS put a label on it for $0

I paid good money for the contents
but the vendor claimed NCV ?on the customs dec (Nil Current Value)

You are a strange lot over there.

http://cjoint.com/data/gAgMH424t7.htm

"Ralphael1"

Ten cents is not enough for this service, in my opinion.
Ralphael, the OLD one- Hide quoted text -

Mail items that weigh over 13 ounces and with postage stamps affixed
are required to be handed to a postal clerk for mailing. When the
postage affixed is of the proper amount, the clerk will run off a PVI
with $0.00 and affix it so that the downstream handlers know that it
was properly preoceesed at initial reception.

Yep! Another waste of both the patron's and clerk's time and also added
expense. Send it UPS !!!

Wonder why when congress demands, the PO can't back bill them for the
'waste' and 'loss'?- Hide quoted text -

This process was mandated by the Unabomber experience. It was
determined by someone that any package weighing 13 ounces or more
could be potentially hazardous so such items are required to be handed
to a clerk; otherwise, they are supposed to be removed and returned to
the sender. Now, whenever any such item is given to a clerk, the
mantra "Does it contain anything fragile, liquid, perishable, or
potentially hazardous" is recited.

More UK Postage Changes Richard Bristow Autographs 2 July 22nd 06 12:13 AM
Exchange my French postage for your Canadian postage Richard Thouin Marketplace 0 March 7th 06 05:28 AM
Postage help Doug Autographs 6 April 5th 04 01:34 AM
What is Postage tax? Rodney General Discussion 9 February 11th 04 06:29 AM
WTB: US Postage 75% G. J. Weinberger Marketplace 0 January 24th 04 12:38 PM