! -- Incredible news about Bust Dollars -- !

Old April 1st 05, 11:00 PM
fletch

Default ! -- Incredible news about Bust Dollars -- !

KSF Regional Newswire ( April 1, 2005) -- A bag of 1,000 silver dollars from
the earliest days of the U.S. mint were discovered by workers today while
renovating the Wachovia Bank in downtown Philadelphia, PA. 'I was called
over to evaluate the bags', said the Staff Numismatist for a nearby coin
and hobby shop. 'There were four old bags, of the kind I've seen before,
that contained Morgan Dollars from the late 1800s. This in itself was
quite a thrill to find, as the coins inside were in great condition. But
sitting by itself in the corner was a type of mint bag that I've never seen
before. I opened the bag, and the fabric fell to pieces in my hands.
Inside were U.S. Bust Dollars, all dated 1798, just like they rolled off the
mint press two hundred years ago. I coudn't believe it, and had to stare
into the bag for five minutes to make sure I wasn't dreaming', he said.

The Wachovia Bank is, by chance, located near the historic location of the
first mint in the nation. There has been a bank there since colonial times.

'They are the best Bust dollar's I've ever seen', he continued. 'Clearly
the bag was placed in this vault two hundred years ago, and hasn't been
moved since, because the fabric was so fragile. It is my guess that the
best of them will grade out at MS68 or even MS69, which is unprecedented.
The amount of money we are talking here is in the tens of millions.'

Numismatists use a 70 point grading scale when determining a coin's
condition, and it is rare even with modern coins to have any coin grade a
nearly perfect 70.'

----------------------------

For more on this story, go he

http://tinyurl.com/5qznf

--Keith

Old April 1st 05, 11:52 PM
jim menning

"Paul Baker" wrote in message
I found one for sale on ebay already !

Funny that the clown couldn't even use the same coin in all the
pictures! (Check the lettering on the reverse images.)

jim menning

Old April 2nd 05, 12:50 AM
Paul Baker

I found one for sale on ebay already !

I found a bag last FIRST of APRIL............

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Old April 2nd 05, 01:59 PM
Bernhard Rich

With that many hitting the market the value will nose dive! It may be
possible in the future to get a circulated specimen for a very
reasonable price!

Old April 2nd 05, 02:01 PM
Bernhard Rich

That'll learn me to read the responses first. LOL

Old April 2nd 05, 02:27 PM
oly

I realize this is an April Fools item, but market history shows that
many hoards tend to have a salutory effect on the market, rather than a
depressing effect. Any depressing effect(s) tends from small to
medium-sized hoards to be very short term, as temporary greater
availability brings out the enthusiasm of collectors who previously
never had any hope of obtaining a scarce item.

On the other side of the coin, a truly savvy finder of a 250 coin bag
of MS 65 Bust dollars would simply sell one or two coins every three
years and keep the existence of the remainder a top secret. He or she
could keep their family on easy street for several generations to come.

oly